OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I'm still scratching my head on PR theme..but I'll leave that for another discussion another time...

Honestly, a lot easier to decipher than "The Power of 10" or a few others. A trip to Paris! Cathedrals, Moulin Rouge, Saint-Saens (sp?), Arc De Triumph, crazy taxi drivers and yes, a little bit of shopping. Sounds a lot like the trip my wife and I took many years ago!

• Like 1

I feel like what BD "has down" is pretty simple. Drum Corps scores = brass, overall visual, percussion, guard, overall design -- not just visual, not just brass and percussion, not just brass and guard, not just creative design and brass.

It's about having no relative weaknesses. What's crazy about that? The corps who wins should be the strongest overall rather than have a show that rides the coattails of any one or two aspects of the design/performance, especially brass and drill.

Guards matter, now. Percussion matters. Creativity matters. It wasn't always that way; isn't it about time?

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 7

Guards matter, now.

There's actually a case to be made that Guard matters now more than anything else.

• Like 1

But in the longer term, you are of course correct about BD's incomparable dominance. Bucs have only 13 championships to BD's 17 wins, and Bucs finished out of the top five many times from the late 1980s to the late 1990s.

DCA started a decade before DCI ( in 1964 ) too.. Bucs have been around a lot longer than BD, and won DCA Titles before BD was even born. BD won their 17 titles most years in which there were far more competitors too. What BD has done in titles since BD was first formed is unprecedented in any other sport or competitive youth group endeavor, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

wasnt there live, and while i disagree with the final results, let's look at the plusses

22k paid at finals

attendance up at many events

t

he most competitive top 4 maybe all times

where does DCI go from here? Dunno. I know many question the judging right now.....time will tell

• Like 2

I feel like what BD "has down" is pretty simple. Drum Corps scores = brass, overall visual, percussion, guard, overall design -- not just visual, not just brass and percussion, not just brass and guard, not just creative design and brass.

It's about having no relative weaknesses. What's crazy about that? The corps who wins should be the strongest overall rather than have a show that rides the coattails of any one or two aspects of the design/performance, especially brass and drill.

Guards matter, now. Percussion matters. Creativity matters. It wasn't always that way; isn't it about time?

Last year it DIDN'T matter...... BD swept the board.

This year, it was their strength across that board, just as you describe, that allowed them to have ordinals other than "1" and still come away with a healthy margin of victory based on their total delivery.....

As you point out by asking "isn't it about time," it appears that there is no longer room at the top for a corps that has to carry a less than top-notch component.

Clarification edit: "at the top" is not necessarily limited to the gold medal......

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 1

Not me, I had a blast!

Well worth every penny to see shows all over the country I would not normally get to see, including finals. And it has been very well established that the DCI Live! feed was NOT the problem in 99% of the glitches. There were some no doubt, but very few. The 720p vid was good, and I can tell you the Q's feed for audio was every bit as good as the DVD. With the wife out for the evening, it was BLASTING so loud at my house the neighbors were complaining! :biggrin:

Here's my advice; in the off-season, upgrade that old slow computer of yours with the crappy sound card, get some decent high-speed internet, and invest in a 4K 70" TV. Oh yeah, you'll need a 5.1 surround sound system with some large Klipsch horn-driven speakers (the secret to LOUD without distortion) and you will NOT be complaining about that $99 for DCI Live next year!

And if you can't do that, you are welcome to watch finals with me at my house next year. My treat.

You bring the 70" TV. :cool:

I did just that... Got an adapter for my iPad 4, replacing my older computer, and ran HDMI video to my 50", and an audio feed to me studio reference audio system with a powered subwoofer. Not like being at Lucas... But worth every penny. I'll do the DCI Live thing again. I just wish I could go back and watch the shows a few days later in an archive. But I'm not complaining. Worth the C-note!

• Like 2

84 Garfield....1st overall, 7th in drums.

I have special reason to remember that one.

To Dave Fowler, a cymbal player with the 1984 Cadets: "YOU HAVE MY RING!!!!!"

A Classic, timeless Signorelli moment! :laugh:

• Like 1

There's actually a case to be made that Guard matters now more than anything else.

It only feels that way because folks were used to them not even being counted toward the score for so long, lol.

But in reality, I think what's changed is that what used to be the sole responsibility of the guard (personality, character, theatricality) is now everyone's responsibility, so it seems like guards are more important, but it's really that theater is more important. And every show that has won this century proves that -- every single one. I wouldn't even say it about 1999, tbh.

Edited by saxfreq1128