OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Shout-out to the people in Section 139 for not having the class to clap for Crown when announced in second, and Blue Devils in first. It was such s classy move to act shocked and not only show no support for Crown who you wanted to win, and for showing appreciation for the hard work the performers put in.

Because its the members of the corps' fault that judges make the decisions they do.

Stay classy, DCI fans sitting near me.

• Like 4

I do think its funny to hint that Tom Aungst can't teach traditional very well because Dartmouth plays matched. That like trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball.

Granted, an ignorant statement on my part, just frustrated with the same issue with Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=J5-FZtxLvAA

Classy Crown fans, really classy!

not sure what the problem is.. the person holding the camera.. or one of the guys with him boo'd.. fairly quietly.. they're entitled to their dismay..

just like the Blue Devils fans I was sitting in front of at Warrensburg deserved their opinion and dismay when they stood up and flung 4-letter words at the winning corps, and the judges, for a full 5 minutes...

• Like 2

Replace "Crown" and "Bluecoats" with: "Cavaliers" and "SCV" and you pretty much have the late 90's-early 2000's. We all thought that then, too. Especially when Cavies got a run under them for a few years there.

And now look where they are.

There has always been BD (and, to a lesser extent over the past two decades, Cadets). Fortunes of other corps rise and fall. BD goes nowhere. They haven't finished lower than 2nd since 2006, 4th since 1991 and 5th since 1974.

Of the past 10 championships, they have won 6 of them. 60 percent. And still got a medal the rest of the time (usually silver but once). Who lands in the top 3-4 shifts and shuffles every so often but for one thing: BD is there.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that that won't be the case until the end of the activity, or at least until BD's staff goes into mass retirement and they have to rebuild from it. But as long as they're there? And as long as they continue to demonstrate that they have these new DCI sheets completely figured out? I will never bet against them. I'd be a fool to do so.

That's why I think they won't lose again.

The only thing that would comcern me were I DCI is how thoroughly and efficiently BD has figured out their show design relative to the sheets. Just seems like they are going through the motions and DCI rewards them for it every year. There is no doubt they have top drawer talent across the board, but to me all of their shows have the exact same arc and elements.

• Like 2

I thought last night's judging crew was the one that favored BD?

For what it's worth, when I went back and checked out scoring patterns from this season (frontensemble.com is awesome, by the way), I told a friend and fellow Crown alum that I thought we would be in trouble. Most people saw "Torchia" and "Oliviero" on Semis panel but somehow overlooked "Stone", "Ochran" and "Czapinski" on Finals.

I mentioned this elsewhere, I did think it was odd that Czapinski went on a month hiatus from judging at all and jumped onto the Finals panel. Not sure I've seen that before.

• Like 1

Oh gotcha. Oops.

No worries, and sorry, that now looks snarkier than I intended. There's a lot of reading to keep up with in this thread!

(Although I'm not sure about DCA's first-place corps finishing 20th in DCI, or at least I'd say that, though there is much overlap, they're not going for quite the same things: for instance, Vanguard Cadets, who finished 16th yesterday, would outscore Buccaneers and Caballeros and Minnesota Brass on all DCA execution captions, but would suffer a little in DCA's G.E. and communication captions, I think. Also, I liked how Bucs used the space in front of their on-field pit last year more than how Xmen used their on-field pit this year.)

The only thing that would comcern me were I DCI is how thoroughly and efficiently BD has figured out their show design relative to the sheets. Just seems like they are going through the motions and DCI rewards them for it every year. There is no doubt they have top drawer talent across the board, but to me all of their shows have the exact same arc and elements.

I mean... if you think 2013 has a similar arc to any of BD's shows... well :shutup:

• Like 3

not sure what the problem is.. the person holding the camera.. or one of the guys with him boo'd.. fairly quietly.. they're entitled to their dismay..

just like the Blue Devils fans I was sitting in front of at Warrensburg deserved their opinion and dismay when they stood up and flung 4-letter words at the winning corps, and the judges, for a full 5 minutes...

None of them are entitled to any of this.

Save the booing for the pro sports athletes who get to cry into their million dollar contracts. It belongs nowhere near an activity like this, where the people hearing your boos work their butts off for nothing but the love of the activity.

• Like 3

I have absolutely no reason to believe that that won't be the case until the end of the activity, or at least until BD's staff goes into mass retirement and they have to rebuild from it. But as long as they're there?

A powerhouse organization like BD has to have staff replacements already in place being mentored and groomed by the current BD staff. No way BD is going to wait till the current staff leaves and then starts replacing. I would be shocked if SCOJO isn't training his replacement, same with TJ Doucette, etc.....