OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

They try to claim it when you ask why there is no regional here but mention that BD lost "all three regionals" when the fourth one they did win. (or rather the first one that is)

hacking is still an electronic problem...... in fact, implications are hacking could become a bigger issue with overzealous supporters. The SCV opening formation of coils could become a "bug zapper" Brandt: "Oh, the humanity !!!!!".... (I did NOT compare those released scores to the actual scores...... I also missed any post that revealed the inaccuracy)

The numbers were accurate and the exact same as announced for 5th -12th. Someones fat finger hit the wrong button and put the numbers out on line!!!!

You DO remember that those "scores" were about as accurate as Helen Keller deciding between 2 colors, right??

Someone probably hacked the site.

I thought the scores that were reported early matched the ones that were announced at retreat. Is that not true?

To me the Cadets made 2 big mistakes this summer (easy to discuss such things in hindsight, which is a little unfair to the corps and its' designers, but...):

1. The theme, The Power of 10. They could have called it this, but the way they approached the overly obvious elements of the show was pointless and not very effective when you overlay that on top of Shostakovitch's music. Things like saying numbers that add up to 10, changing the yard line markers, going with neon green because it's the 10th element of the periodic table. Come on, I do not see green when I hear Shostakovitch. Let the music aid you in design, not the gimmicks. The drill was perfect for that music. I still think that was the best drill on the field, and I did like the 10-yard ballad. Very effective.
  2. Changing the uniforms to all black because they wanted to bring out the neon green and help their guard. Whenever it was planned, and I commend them for taking risks and following through, but that drill needed their traditional colors. They simply should have put the guard in a different outfit from day one.

As regards your first point, there was a poster who started a ranting thread last November about this subject ("The tyranny and folly of abstraction") and he was roundly mocked for saying what you've said here. (It's on page 2 of the forum right now, since someone else resurrected it last night.)

As regards the phrase I've bolded: as a few people have pointed out over the summer, the element neon is not green. It's a clear gas, but glows red when charged. Artistic license on Cadets' part, and why not? (Unless some of the judges realized the Cadets' explanation for the color really doesn't make sense.)

• Like 1

I noticed 3 of the judges scores for the Crown were not in sync with their other scores for the finals. Their scores for the Crown were noticeably lower then the mean or avg scores they were giving for the night.

Standard deviation would conclude their scores should have been thrown out.

Ergo: the two top corps should have a "Showout". I would pay to see that happen.

Uh, what? No, that's not even close to how SD works or is used. Standard deviation doesn't "conclude" anything.

Let me guess, you're not a math major, are you? :cool:

• Like 2

I don't understand all the hubbub.

All the corps agree to abide by the judges opinions. It is what it is.

So many posters on both sides acting like ... um ... less than good net-citizens.

The judges put BD up on finals night. End of story. Congrats to BD.

Doesn't mean you have to agree with the judges scores. But it also doesn't mean the "fix" was in.

Silly DCP.

• Like 8

The 2011 PR video has a snippet of semis edited in at the very end where the guard member prepares to stab herself (at finals, she ... um .. chose to do something different)

Are you sure it's an "edit"? I thought corps had the option of choosing either semis or finals as the distributed video these days.

For example, does the 2010 video show the performer breaking his leg? I don't think it did. I think Crown chose the semis cut to be on the dvd.

If the point is "they should use the finals version regardless of what happens," okay. But if the argument deals with editing, I think it's incorrect.

Edited by kdaddy

hughesmr, on 09 Aug 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:snapback.png

Eh, skip those blary Klipschs and invest in some Vandersteens, baby!

SVS speakers.

I know them both, fellas, good choices! :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I loved the Cadets uniform change! They were great. What an amazing drumline and especially that front ensemble. I loved the tamborene feature.

• Like 3