OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Also, their closer was at 226 bpm, which also equals ten. 2 + 2 + 6 = 10. :silly:

The waltz section was 226. Just prior to the French horns. The closer wasn't.

Are you sure it's an "edit"? I thought corps had the option of choosing either semis or finals as the distributed video these days.

Oh, for sure. I can't remember the source (maybe a Tom Blair interview on the 2011 Blu-ray?) but if I recall correctly, he said that they had the camera all lined up to catch the sword move at the end, and when she changed it, it just looked BAD. So they went to PR's design staff when they were cutting the video and asked if that's really what they wanted in the final cut. They said no, so they used a bit of the semis recording to replace it.

hughesmr, on 09 Aug 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:snapback.png

I know them both, fellas, good choices! :cool:

I prefer Acoustic Research. I also pair my AR4x with some JBL 20-T speakers through a Sherwood receiver. However I added a set of Cambridge Soundworks sub Sats as my "center channel". I really don't get into the surround sound idea. you have two ears. Stereo is fine. the only problem was my speakers were too far from the computer and I wanted something right where the sound came from. It did give a nice ambient effect.

wvu80, on 09 Aug 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:snapback.png

To Dave Fowler, a cymbal player with the 1984 Cadets: "YOU HAVE MY RING!!!!!"

A Classic, timeless Signorelli moment! :laugh:

Thanks for putting that in BLUE, Dave!

LOL! No problem, Sam.

And here's something else...one of BD's snares this year was Alan Aungst....and his father ALSO HAS MY RING!

Irony, thy name is drum corps!

For the sake of not confusing our listeners, when the internet first hit and drum corps people could connect on-line, a little old country boy from West Virginia (where there is NO drum corps) was able to talk to people all over, including some people from California who had actually marched in a drum corps! This was exciting for me, as I NEVER had anyone to talk to about drum corps.

Even though I was a total outsider, the BD people always made me feel welcome and not stupid, even though I didn't know who Tom Float was. :lle: Sam was a BD alumn and one of the most colorful characters I ever met on the now defunct Blue Devils Discussion Board.

To this day, the BD Discussion Board is distinctive as the most polite, respectful drum corps board I've ever seen. I only changed to DCP when BD.org committed to other newer social media and the BD discussion board became a casualty of that trend.

Sam, that "you have my ring!" story has now stood the test of time, it's one of the most unbelievable coincidences and funniest stories I've ever heard. I hope you have that written down somewhere, just he way you originally told it. It's an all-time classic. It needs to be enshrined and displayed in the DCI Hall of Fame museum somewhere.

You are one of a kind, my friend. :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

DCP app has these scores for finals....

90.325 Phantom Regiment

88.750 Madison Scouts

88.325 Cavaliers

86.800 Boston Crusaders

85.150 Blue Stars

85.025 Crossmen

... also has a 68.something for BK and a 70.something for SCV. My guess is these are missing certain captions

lol

Holy ####, those were right. What a colossal screw up on someone's part.
  • Like 1

Y'know Dave, Some of you guys from the old BD forums I consider my best friends even though none I have met. People I interact with on a daily basis!

Is the purpose of the DVD journalism or entertainment?

I know I'd certainly rather listen to the version with the solo performed cleanly.

Well, that was my point. Since the DVD is marketed to promote the DCI brand as well provide entertainment, DCI is not going to release a shoddy performance when a better one from Finals week is available, which was the concern of the poster I responded to, who sounded like "well, it's a good thing Crown lost because their finals show wasn't clean and it would have been the first thing on the..." DVD that we'll probably never see released anyway.

• Like 1

...I thought he used his best technique in announcing that BD score last year. He gave the pause before ".65" and let the kids and the crowd provide far more emotional response than he could ever have added...

No. He gave NO pause. He ran it together like syllables of a word. If I knew how to edit that from the official DCI YT video, I would. And it isn't how he says things; it's in the context. The 1992 CAVALIERRRRRSSSS was screamy and emotional. Bias.

(By the way, I study and report journalistic bias for a living. I felt at home with my OP.)

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Before any of our fans born in the 2000's get freaked out by this, you should know, this is nothing new; crazies have always been around, as long as there's been drum corps.

I remember in the late '70's - early 80's there was a now defunct corps called "The Bridgemen." They had their funny moments and a couple of years where they were really good, but they were a fairly average drum top 12 caliber corps. The Bridgemen featured out of tune G Bugles who overblew most of the time, a really good drum line, and some very fine looking ladies in the color guard. :wub:

Some idiots (read, Bridgemen alumni) decided that "entertainment" was more important than "winning" so they took out ads in the bi-monthly newpaper "Drum Corps World" asking for money, because they were going to screw the DCI judges, and decide for themselves what was "entertaining" and come up with their own awards! I think this movement (and you know what kind of "movement", ahem) lasted about a month, and then it disappeared. :giljotiini:

And now thanks to Facebook, we have yet some more bitter loons who are starting an on-line petition to review the DCI judges because they didn't like the results from last night. :sumo:

The more things change... :wall::laugh:

Edited by wvu80