OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Why? Neither one of those shows got close to the crowd reaction that BD or Crown got.

What's that have to do with a drum score?

• Like 1

Jeff, what did you think of the drum numbers tonight?

Again wasn't there. I had it a toss up between BD and Cadets, SCV third.

While Crown improved, to take the next step, the writer needs to change. The last 3 years have proven that.

Yeah....but a "lull" for BD is a screaming success for most other corps!

Even when tenor players fall off of props

Great shows from top to bottom tonight. A couple of corps were flat from the stands, but didn't effect placements. Devs just had a better run in the judge's eyes, congrats to them on 17.

On judges, it's good that DCI is starting to bring in some new people to judge. The current crop that does Finals week seems to be getting up there in age, replacements will need to be made at some point. Then we can complain about an entirely new set of judge's biases

Complain about judges? Why would DCP EVER want to do that? ;-)

I too have no stake in the outcome, I am just a fan in the seats who has followed drum corps for 40 years. Drum corps sticks to tradition, and sometimes some of them are bad.

For a long time I have been an advocate of recognition for a regular season national champion, and then a "Superbowl" champion. Drum corps is the ONLY national sport/activity I know of that does NOT do this.

This recognition of the regular season champion will never happen because DCI is too taken with "tradition." That's why we have judges on the field running around like a chicken with its head cut off, ruining many visual moments of the show for the fans in the seats. It's ineffective last century thinking.

Tradition.

I wonder if you can identify just one moment where a judge on the field ruined a visual moment, please? (Of course, the answer is subjective.)

With so much stuff on the field these days I find it extremely difficult to even find the field judges sometimes.

I tried to keep my eye on Jeff Prosperie last night and lost him many times in the visual goo of the props.

The irony is that, BITD, when there was less stuff on the field the judges actually stood out more. Today, not so much, but I'm curious if you can identify a moment when the visual was ruined for you.

• Like 1

Or maybe "clean vis. and try to make sure percussion has a better run."

Saying stuff like "Cadets were winning before uniform change" is not really a true cause/effect analysis. Given that corps are still cleaning right up to Finals week, it might be more probably that other corps Cadets were beating earlier just got cleaner than Cadets down the stretch. Blue Devils, Crown, Bluecoats all have black pants and had no problems achieving Top 3, so I don't think it's logical to place blame on uniform changes

It's NOT just "black pants." They wore black pants, yes, but then they wore black plumes, cummerbunds, hats, jackets, and to add to the NON-color and NON-contrast, the guard wore black pants! It completely MUDDIED the visual sets and the choreography was invisible, because there is no contrast.

Cadets wore black on black on black on black on black. Visually, it did not work. There is no reward in a build-up judging system for a visual program that is not visual. Even the 15th place Academy who wore black uniforms had the common sense to use white plumes.

NOBODY has made the claim Cadets lost because of black pants, that is a straw man argument. The point being made is that the all-black uniforms were NOT effective in adding GE points in THIS show. It was a HUGE mistake to try to force the uniforms into this year's show, they were never intended to be used for this show, according to Mr. Hopkins. They were ordered for Cadets 2.

And then the staff came out with this RIDICULOUS explanation that neon was the "tenth element" so black was needed for the tenth element. I bet they had a good laugh over that one, thinking how STUPID and GULLIBLE fans are to buy that spin regarding the change to all-black. All the staff did was insult their intelligent fan base with such nonsense. The fans are smarter than that.

Here is the ultimate question; If the all-black uniforms are so visually effective, does anybody think Cadets will use them next year as well?

Put your money where your mouth is, would you bet $10 The Cadets will use these "superior" all-black uniforms next year? I'll bet they won't.

I don't think I'll get ANY takers on that.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

<< snip >>

Here is the ultimate question; If the all-black uniforms are so visually effective, does anybody think Cadets will use them next year as well?

Put your money where your mouth is, would you bet $10 The Cadets will use these "superior" all-black uniforms next year? I'll bet you $10 they won't.

I don't think I'll get ANY takers on that bet.

<< snip ends >>

According to the plan announced before the black uniforms even arrived, they were to be used for the remainder of the season only, and then turned over to Cadets2 as a part of their unique identity. The black will be less hurtful at DCA sub-226bpm..... The question of whether or not they actually "hurt" Cadets is not answered in my mind...... perhaps someone in possession of a judges tape where the comment is made either way could enlighten us......

Very trivial point:

I just relived the scores, and Brandt Crocker needs to go. I know he's the voice of DCI and is probably a very nice man, but come ON. His tone when announcing BD's championship was almost rude. He should have no bias. I'm sure the argument will be that I'm full of crap (I often am); frankly, I would have been happier with a Crown win. I have no Devil in this race (nor do they care this morning, right?). Even last year, with the highest score ever, he rattled it off as though it were an afterthought. Every single solitary person alive knew BD would win last year. We were ALL waiting on the edge of our seats for that Score. How about, "99-point- (pregnant pause)-(another pause) 65." He certainly rubbed it in when Phantom won in 2008. And for God's sake, he all but wailed and cried when he shrieked "THE CAVALIERRRRRRRRRS" in 1992. Bias. Oh, and Cavies 2002? "In first place...undefeated..." but not the 2000 Cadets or the (pick a year) Blue Devils? Again, bias. (These are all available to relive online.)

Again, it's a trivial point, and I can't figure out why I'm so bugged by this. I don't know the man nor have ill-wishes. But come ON.

• Like 1