OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Let's go Mountaineers! Hail to Pitt! (ok, odd combination. I'm a professor at one and alum of the other lol)

Ok, college football allegiances taken care of, moving on....

My college has made me forget what college football is.. Basketball though is a ton of fun

I hope NO single judge becomes tomorrow's story!

Like when has this ever happened with some of the losing Corps fans ? ( lol!)

So are you saying that if my corps loses tonight, that means they were out performed and the other corps won fair and square?

Probably, although I looked into just two previous contests for only one of tonight's eleven judges. Someone who wishes to blow their afternoon investigating all of this year's results might find that one or the other of these judges does in fact show a trend of regular favoring corps A over corps B, in contrast to what other judges in the same category have done. So for (an entirely hypothetical) example, maybe all guard judges combined have Crown beating BD 75% of the time this year, but tonight's judge preferred BD to Crown on each occasion. That might show a bias toward BD. Or it might be a coincidence, because BD's guard in fact outperformed Crown's on those two or three occasions. Which brings up a major challenge with any such analysis: the sample size will be pretty small. BD and Crown competed head to head sixteen times so far this year. In how many of these contests did they see the same judge in the same category?

(See also George Dixon's post #48.)

• Like 1

I'm sure that most of the members of this site view DCI finals day as a holiday of sorts. I have thought of it that way since around 1982, and through many life changes DCI finals has remained a constant. The corps and rules have changed somewhat, but it's still a party of sorts. This will be the first time I've attended finals since 1995, and I was shocked at the quality of the corps in quarters and semis in Indy. I'm not a fan of the dome, but at least it's air conditioned :cool:

I'm glad the activity is still around, even though I don't like some of the elements in the shows. There's a lot more that I like than dislike, and that's a win for me.

• Like 4

Unless one is a die hard placement freak, I'd recommend to the rest of us to simply enjoy all these Corps tonite in the Finals for the wonderful Corps that they all are. There is lots of variety, diversity in each of their shows this season and all of them bring to the table some interesting and intriguing things. Let the judges figure out how to evaluate them with the sheets they've been given. Either way, no matter what the judges verdict is, its not in their domain to determine what we like.

• Like 8

Good point. Time to enjoy the results and the hard work of all of the corps....

• Like 2

Observations:

To be properly rewarded, a show needs a beginning, middle and an ending.

Crown had this. 1-2

Blue Devils have this. 1-2

Cadets DO NOT have this. 3-4 (winning brass, percussion and overall music),

Bluecoats DO NOT have this. 3-4

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1