Boston Crusaders 2016

We may be thinking different times. I'm referring to the 80's. after being in schools for years, they went to hotels at nationals in the 80's.

Who stayed in hotels in the 80s? I marched/taught through most of the decade and never saw the inside of a hotel.

Best of luck on the coming days Boston.

I was blown away at the improvement in Allentown and really came around to the show. Seems like they are peaking at the right time.

Kudos to those performers. They are selling this show now for all its highs and lows. Opening and closing moments were some of my favorites this past weekend.

I agree with wishing Boston luck in this coming week and I've liked the show since the first time I saw it. But I'm very confused on your observation that they are peaking at the right time. Seems they peaked before the Allentown show, and have have not achieved the Allentown scores since then.

Just looking at the scores, I would say they have already peaked. Maybe not, but I don't see the objective evidence. I hope they improve. And I wish them well and it looks like they are doing the right things, but at this stage everyone is trying to improve. The question is can Boston improve MORE than the other corps around them.

Telling a story is hard, especially the one that they have chosen. I know it (and even studied the story in my last year in college, but that was 47 years ago). Many don't know the story (and have even here asked what the windmills were about), so it has been difficult. The narration added has helped. I hope it all results in improved scores. But the 11-14 slots are going to be very competitive.

Pretty much everyone has experienced drops and stagnation in those final shows. I think they are definitely peaking performance wise at the right time, which is what I meant. Whether or not the scores indicate that is secondary, because you cannot watch their recent performances and tell me they are not surging.

• Like 1

Pretty much everyone has experienced drops and stagnation in those final shows. I think they are definitely peaking performance wise at the right time, which is what I meant. Whether or not the scores indicate that is secondary, because you cannot watch their recent performances and tell me they are not surging.

Maybe you are right.

I agree with wishing Boston luck in this coming week and I've liked the show since the first time I saw it. But I'm very confused on your observation that they are peaking at the right time. Seems they peaked before the Allentown show, and have have not achieved the Allentown scores since then.

Just looking at the scores, I would say they have already peaked. Maybe not, but I don't see the objective evidence. I hope they improve. And I wish them well and it looks like they are doing the right things, but at this stage everyone is trying to improve. The question is can Boston improve MORE than the other corps around them.

Telling a story is hard, especially the one that they have chosen. I know it (and even studied the story in my last year in college, but that was 47 years ago). Many don't know the story (and have even here asked what the windmills were about), so it has been difficult. The narration added has helped. I hope it all results in improved scores. But the 11-14 slots are going to be very competitive.

I can only say, relying on the scores is not what should be used as the measurement for their improvement as hard as it is to break that paradigm. It is what we have to gauge improvement but what needs to be viewed is where they RANK when they go directly against other corps. You are right everyone is trying to improve but improving a difficult show will be assessed more favorably than improving a less difficult show. The unknown is a show being clean and being performed better, may expose how difficult or easier some things are.

I can only say, relying on the scores is not what should be used as the measurement for their improvement as hard as it is to break that paradigm. It is what we have to gauge improvement but what needs to be viewed is where they RANK when they go directly against other corps. You are right everyone is trying to improve but improving a difficult show will be assessed more favorably than improving a less difficult show. The unknown is a show being clean and being performed better, may expose how difficult or easier some things are.

Right, but DCI is (for better or worse) oriented towards scores, as well as rank. And, of course RANK is determined by scores.

BAC was RANKed 13th at San Antonio, 14th at Atlanta, 12th (by .05) at Allentown, and currently RANKS 13 (by scores [yeah, I know, different contests, different judges]). I hope you are right, that they are improving (in RANK, relative to their competitors), but you have not cited, nor has DrumManTx any OBJECTIVE measure to suggest that they are peaking at the right time. It is you subjective opinion that they will be rewarded (more than their competitors) and you are entitled to it. I hope you are correct. But the objective evidence suggest otherwise.

Again, I like the show and have since I first saw it. I was surprised that it was not scoring (or RANKing) as well as I thought it should. But there is a lot I don't understand about how things are scored (and RANKed). I'm hoping to see BAC improve.

Correct , but your key words are important, " improving" that means both, and successful. To what degree of improvement is needed would also be another question but, at that point , as you said the more difficult show would be viewed favorably.

Edited by GUARDLING

Who stayed in hotels in the 80s? I marched/taught through most of the decade and never saw the inside of a hotel.

BAC always stayed in hotels (at Nationals) through the 70's and 80's....I think the last hotel stay was in 1989 or 90...I was on staff then, but I don't recall which year it was.

BAC always stayed in hotels (at Nationals) through the 70's and 80's....I think the last hotel stay was in 1989 or 90...I was on staff then, but I don't recall which year it was.

In the 70's Boston stayed at St. Joes college in Philly, Colorado Springs HS,, Pell City Alabama, HS, Bessemer Alabama HS, and some school in Montreal in 82. In Miami they were at the T'bird, Atlanta some motel, Madison some hotel in the outskirts. As the corps grew, hotel stays were impractical. Not to mention costly. AC and beds are far better than gym floors and gross shower rooms. LOL