Carolina Crown 2016

Why the high GE score then? Why Cadets who marched well and had a very difficult show score low in GE? Why did BD who marched poorly (couldn't believe the stuff I saw from the box) win VA, VP and score so high in GE? I'm just not grasping the captions and how they are scored.

All the extra visual components. Like the red draping over the brass in the ballad and the theatrics throughout. Featured guard member climbing the ladder at the end. GE is assessed from high up. All of these things are used for that reason, to engage an audience.

All the extra visual components. Like the red draping over the brass in the ballad and the theatrics throughout. Featured guard member climbing the ladder at the end. GE is assessed from high up. All of these things are used for that reason, to engage an audience.

but aren't as effective to the judges who have seen the show umpteen times when the corps does the same trick three times (Carolina Crown, sponsored by JoAnn's Fabrics).

The oohs and ahs weren't coming from the GE judges but the bando tweens and family spects seeing the show for the first time.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Same here. While this is not to take anything away from BD, I thought for sure Crown had it in the bag. That show was pure emotion, but I will have to examine it a lot more on the Blu-ray to try to figure out why it didn't win gold.

Me thinks you might have to replay it over and over in your head...........given the media rights situation, I wouldn't count on any Blu-ray to help out with your examination!

Me thinks you might have to replay it over and over in your head...........given the media rights situation, I wouldn't count on any Blu-ray to help out with your examination!

OH NO!! No Blu-rays or DVDs? Did I miss something?

The short version: DCI is still working on acquiring rights to the music, thanks to new demands from rightsholders. FYI, BOA has pretty much given up being able to sell both 2014 *and* 2015 videos. It's questionable if / when any 2015 DCI products will be sold.

Mike

The short version: DCI is still working on acquiring rights to the music, thanks to new demands from rightsholders. FYI, BOA has pretty much given up being able to sell both 2014 *and* 2015 videos. It's questionable if / when any 2015 DCI products will be sold.

Mike

THAT.....SUCKS!!!!

Percussion I agree but that VA caption baffles me. Numbers all over the place. I don't understand how if i.e.: Crown wins GE 1 and does well in VP, how can they tank in VA? Felt same about Cadets score so well in Music caption but not reflected in GE...

I was only commenting on the numbers as they were in the recap. I did look back a few shows before finals, and only at DCI East was their VA score at the top.The Achievement portion of VA was higher than composition at all three champs shows.

but aren't as effective to the judges who have seen the show umpteen times when the corps does the same trick three times (Carolina Crown, sponsored by JoAnn's Fabrics).

The oohs and ahs weren't coming from the GE judges but the bando tweens and family spects seeing the show for the first time.

I personally thought crown deserved fourth.

BD and Coats in the top two spots followed by cadets

I didn't get the GE scoring at all. Coats seemed underscored and Crown over scored. You strip away the fabric and the guard and there wasn't much left. Jmo.

I'm hoping crown and cadets both take very fresh approaches to visual this coming season.

I was only commenting on the numbers as they were in the recap. I did look back a few shows before finals, and only at DCI East was their VA score at the top.The Achievement portion of VA was higher than composition at all three champs shows.

And other than the guard they were fairly dirty... Especially intervals and feet phasing...

I personally thought crown deserved fourth.

BD and Coats in the top two spots followed by cadets

I didn't get the GE scoring at all. Coats seemed underscored and Crown over scored. You strip away the fabric and the guard and there wasn't much left. Jmo.

I'm hoping crown and cadets both take very fresh approaches to visual this coming season.

I am hoping for the same, especially for The Cadets.