Carolina Crown 2016

I suppose I ought to post this in the Crown '15 thread, but this one's more current. Just saw the video of the University of Michigan marching band joined for a recent halftime performance by the New York Philharmonic, which is a pretty cool thing. Their show includes Verdi's "Requiem". And what do they end with? "Ode to Joy"!

(The video is very '80s DCI: during one of the very few drill moves--when the band moves from blocks to form two treble clefs--where is the camera? On the trombone soloist.)

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, the way the 2015 season ended left a really sour taste in my mouth. I really hope that percussion program gets better in 2016 because I have a feeling it's going to be a tight race down the stretch one again next summer.

I'm not gonna lie, the way the 2015 season ended left a really sour taste in my mouth. I really hope that percussion program gets better in 2016 because I have a feeling it's going to be a tight race down the stretch one again next summer.

I believe they need to go recruit and not hope to get talented musicians come for the percussion section. Haven't seen much progression out of that group over the past few years. They couldn't even play clean rolls during their feature at Indy. That blew my mind. Seems like they spent more time with body movement than locking in the actual music portion. Really thought they were a 6th place section at best.

Same here. While this is not to take anything away from BD, I thought for sure Crown had it in the bag. That show was pure emotion, but I will have to examine it a lot more on the Blu-ray to try to figure out why it didn't win gold.

I believe they need to go recruit and not hope to get talented musicians come for the percussion section. Haven't seen much progression out of that group over the past few years. They couldn't even play clean rolls during their feature at Indy. That blew my mind. Seems like they spent more time with body movement than locking in the actual music portion. Really thought they were a 6th place section at best.

Absolutely!

Same here. While this is not to take anything away from BD, I thought for sure Crown had it in the bag. That show was pure emotion, but I will have to examine it a lot more on the Blu-ray to try to figure out why it didn't win gold.

The difference in VA and percussion performance added up to 1.4. Factoring in the division in both overall captions...that was still the difference in a 0.6 overall spread.

The difference in VA and percussion performance added up to 1.4. Factoring in the division in both overall captions...that was still the difference in a 0.6 overall spread.

Percussion I agree but that VA caption baffles me. Numbers all over the place. I don't understand how if i.e.: Crown wins GE 1 and does well in VP, how can they tank in VA? Felt same about Cadets score so well in Music caption but not reflected in GE... Edited by Tobias

Percussion I agree but that VA caption baffles me. Numbers all over the place. I don't understand how if i.e.: Crown wins GE 1 and does well in VP, how can they tank in VA? Felt same about Cadets sound so well in Music caption but not reflected in GE...

You can march with great technique, but if you don't have difficult drill then that's how VP and VA can differ. I felt like Crown "marched" only half their show.

You can march with great technique, but if you don't have difficult drill then that's how VP and VA can differ. I felt like Crown "marched" only half their show.

Why the high GE score then? Why Cadets who marched well and had a very difficult show score low in GE? Why did BD who marched poorly (couldn't believe the stuff I saw from the box) win VA, VP and score so high in GE? I'm just not grasping the captions and how they are scored.