Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Last part is pretty important. Little spreads like that across the board start to add up quick.

Ok, that makes sense I guess. Just wondered why the gap opened so quickly in INDY. I thought the Cadets were so strong. Wasn't expecting a big 4th place..

Well, if The Cadets want to stay with this formula that did not medal this year, its their choice. I did very much enjoy this type of high velocity drill, and irrespective of what the judges are currently rewarding, I too hope the Cadets keep this type of show for 2016, as it was a crowd pleaser, and one of their most crowd pleasing shows in a few years, imo. The fact the MM's chose this type of show, and enjoyed performing it " immensely " is all one needs to know that is not governed by placements.

I know a decent number of the kids that marched this summer and they knew they were being dumped (my term not theirs), and loved the show and were very happy with their performance on Saturday night. It's funny, I was so bummed at their placement and all I saw on FB were happy kids doing selfies with their team mates after it was all over. I think they focus less on scores and placements then I do. That's for sure.
  • Like 1

I know a decent number of the kids that marched this summer and they knew they were being dumped (my term not theirs), and loved the show and were very happy with their performance on Saturday night. It's funny, I was so bummed at their placement and all I saw on FB were happy kids doing selfies with their team mates after it was all over. I think they focus less on scores and placements then I do. That's for sure.

This is very true but do not count out the fierce competitiveness of this corps. One way to always look at it is very much be the best you can be, not settle for 2nd best, respect competitors , never forget it is a competition, give it 100 % for all those who view your work and the rest can follow ( success in whatever form )

I think you can go back many many decades even pre DCI and this is for sure the philosophy of this corps and well embedded in the corps DNA

When you are a marching member you always think you are getting dumped on unless you win. Cadets won brass and nearly won percussion while finish 4th with a relatively weak guard which bled over to the visual side of GE. In a highly competitive year at the top, finishing 4th and almost taking two captions is nothing to be ashamed at. Especially when the sheets are written to weight the guard heavily in GE, visual analysis, and performance...that relative weakness hit captions that were worth 50% of the score (probably more since all the GE judges are realistically looking at the total show now).
  • Like 2

When you are a marching member you always think you are getting dumped on unless you win. Cadets won brass and nearly won percussion while finish 4th with a relatively weak guard which bled over to the visual side of GE. In a highly competitive year at the top, finishing 4th and almost taking two captions is nothing to be ashamed at. Especially when the sheets are written to weight the guard heavily in GE, visual analysis, and performance...that relative weakness hit captions that were worth 50% of the score (probably more since all the GE judges are realistically looking at the total show now).

The guard, and the staging of the guard (through the first half of the show) weighed on the overall success of the show. For me, the biggest thing that negatively affected things was the move to the black uniforms. Interesting concept, but the creme colored pants presented a very visual and flashy look, when used in context with the drill style of Jeff Sacktig. I believe they lost a lot of the visual "pop" once they changed over. It became shadows and blending, instead of contrast and light. I don't fault the thought, to help bring out the neon colors, but it just didn't work like I think they planned. The kids really performed the heck out of the show, as always. Kudos to them...just a very competitive season.

• Like 1

This is very true but do not count out the fierce competitiveness of this corps. One way to always look at it is very much be the best you can be, not settle for 2nd best, respect competitors , never forget it is a competition, give it 100 % for all those who view your work and the rest can follow ( success in whatever form )

I think you can go back many many decades even pre DCI and this is for sure the philosophy of this corps and well embedded in the corps DNA

Agree....certainly my era, 70-72, was just like that. We knew we had it tough with our themed shows in 71 and esp 72, but we just did everything we could to be our best.

• Like 1

While Show Design is everything today, bottom line, if you have to have your weakest link, make it Drums or Bugles... don't..... ever...... make...... it....... Color Guard.

• Like 2

While Show Design is everything today, bottom line, if you have to have your weakest link, make it Drums or Bugles... don't..... ever...... make...... it....... Color Guard.

which is why the activity needs a name change - how about "Outdoor Dance Ensemble with Brass & Drum Accompaniment"

ODEBDA

Kind of rolls right off your tongue...

• Like 2

Well stated but look at scores/spreads until until INDY so I still think they got hosed. "Systemic problems" would have weighed them down by mid season.

which is why the activity needs a name change - how about "Outdoor Dance Ensemble with Brass & Drum Accompaniment"

ODEBDA

Kind of rolls right off your tongue...

More like needs a scoring balance change with emphasis given to the actual performers who pay not the designers who get paid. Remember, the activity is supposed to be about the kids, not the adult egos and paychecks.

• Like 1