Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Nice looking uniform but not for this show and not for this corps in a stadium already draped in black. The unis made the corps look like dwarfs compared to the traditional unis which are bright and give height.

Corps/guard could have used some parasols with the numbers on them during ballad and waltz, some fine tuning (and limiting) of the repetitions in the opener (some which were not native to the source music but seemed added to give a few more counts to the drill forms) and guard work which awed one with demand and simultaneous precision. It seemed hosed and over-simplified. With GE judges on record (from previous contests of this season) as rewarding the other four corps, Cadets did not over awe for GE which is what was needed if medalling was the goal.

Can someone explain the black uniforms for me? All I heard was that it was to make the neon pop, but I didn't see any neon. I was expecting them to bust out neon strips across the front on Finals night, similar to Vanguard's lights, but it didn't happen. Then I was just confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvfb4Ea1Bc

This is the GE moment the Cadets were missing....

• Like 2

Additionally, the Shostakovitch music, as much as I LOVE IT, tends to come across as dry and unemotional with many.

This comment reminded me of something an acquaintance, much more versed in classical music than I am, wrote in a blog post a few months ago on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the composer Carl Nielsen:

"What most struck me about Nielsen's early music was the sheer bounding physical energy of it. I have a sort of private pantheon in which Bruckner is the symphonist of the soul, Shostakovich is the symphonist of the mind, and Nielsen is the symphonist of the body".

Can someone explain the black uniforms for me? All I heard was that it was to make the neon pop, but I didn't see any neon. I was expecting them to bust out neon strips across the front on Finals night, similar to Vanguard's lights, but it didn't happen. Then I was just confused.

Some felt the corps and guard blended too much with the uniforms used for all but the last 7 shows. Some felt the guard was lost.

After much blabbety-blab-blab about color schemes based on the 10th month (October) versus the original tenth month (December), a shift in guard uniforms which were to feature bold colors emanating from a black background was foisted upon the corps proper. Yes, the guard could now be seen. That wasn't always a good thing when execution wasn't perfect or elements of the corps' mastery were lost in the blur.

Neon (based on the tenth place of the periodic table used by chemists and such) is a neutral color tending to a pinkish/orangey reddish hue. But in common parlance, it now refers to bold iridescent colors as much fuchsia or highway department bright green or department of corrections orange or glow in the dark blue or purple. The corps never said or intimated that those hues would be part of the uniform for the corps proper. DCP posters (many from the West Coast and South by the by) made those statements on DCP. Goths and followers of modern movie violence got excited for the Darth Vader look. Others thought only Crossmen, Genesis, and a few years of Phantom Regiment did black well. Thus your disappointment. No discussion on DCP ever reached to the deeper level of why Blue Devils and Regiment did not continue with the black uniforms or why Crossmen have had to adapt all black to reds and whites and current spectrum.

Truths could have been learned and the MMs of Cadets spared a woeful experiment.

Some felt the corps and guard blended too much with the uniforms used for all but the last seven shows. Some felt the guard was lost.

After much blabbety-blab-blab about color schemes based on the tenth month (October) versus the original tenth month (December), a shift in guard uniforms which were to feature bold colors emanating from a black background was foisted upon the corps proper. Yes, the guard could now be seen. That wasn't always a good thing when execution wasn't perfect or elements of the corps' mastery were lost in the blur.

Neon (based on the tenth place of the periodic table used by chemists and such) is a neutral color tending to a pinkish/orangey reddish hue. But in common parlance, it now refers to bold iridescent colors as much fuchsia or highway department bright green or department of corrections orange or glow in the dark blue or purple. The corps never said or intimated that those hues would be part of the uniform for the corps proper. DCP posters (many from the West Coast and South, by the by) made those statements on DCP. Goths and followers of modern movie violence got excited for the Darth Vader look. Others thought only Crossmen, Genesis, and a few years of Phantom Regiment did black well. Thus your disappointment. No discussion on DCP ever reached to the deeper level of why Blue Devils and Regiment did not continue with the black uniforms or why Crossmen have had to adapt all black to reds and whites and current spectrum.

Truths could have been learned and the MMs of Cadets spared a woeful experiment.

Basically this, although I don't remember seeing DCP posts claiming that the uniforms worn by the non-guard members of the corps would feature "neon".

The late-season uniforms changes apparently had been planned for a long time. A few people on these forums indicated they had known for many months about Cadets' plan to make a late-season change to black uniforms, but they kept mum until about two weeks' before the switch. And as mentioned here in response to a post about the green color of the drums, George Hopkins had publicly intimated by late May or early June that the guard would eventually be switching from autumnal colors (which I believe he did later confirm had been chosen to suggest October, the tenth month*) to "neon" green.

As you indicate, the reason for that color, mentioned on DCP back in June and confirmed by Jeff Sacktig while being interviewed in the Big, Loud and Live cinema screening, was that the atomic number of the element neon is 10. As you note, the element neon actually has no color at all, being a clear gas, but because it glows red when charged, and was therefore used in the first widespread colored electric signs, the name "neon" has come to be popularly applied to any color which seems to glow. Sacktig went on to add that they decided to array the rest of the corps in black "to make the color pop".

*(As far as I noticed, I'm the only person to have noted that December was originally the tenth month, and I don't perceive any of Cadets' design as conveying that particular concept.)

I'm most interested in your statement that I bolded. It reminds me that lots of people were similarly excited by Carolina Crown's decision to have a "dark" theme this year, and I've been meaning to start a discussion to find out why so many people here seem to prefer darkness to light and tragic endings to happy ones.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

There are many who felt the white pants would have been a scoring benefit with the drill they had this year.

Fortunately, they wore white pants in the beginning of the season, so we can actually test this theory with data. If someone took an Excel doc with all of their visual scores for the 2015 season (broken down by date) and the same for 2014 (just to give us something to compare to) we could determine an average point increase by day. I'd want the 2014 data to give us something to compare to as a baseline, since I suspect visual score increases slow toward the end of the season no matter what, black pants or white.

I'd pull this data myself, but I don't see any database that exists and I unfortunately don't have the time to pull the data manually.

Fortunately, they wore white pants in the beginning of the season, so we can actually test this theory with data. If someone took an Excel doc with all of their visual scores for the 2015 season (broken down by date) and the same for 2014 (just to give us something to compare to) we could determine an average point increase by day. I'd want the 2014 data to give us something to compare to as a baseline, since I suspect visual score increases slow toward the end of the season no matter what, black pants or white.

I'd pull this data myself, but I don't see any database that exists and I unfortunately don't have the time to pull the data manually.

That method sounds extremely unscientific and flawed