Phantom Regiment 2016

It's interesting - I found the drill and flag work to be the stronger aspects of the 2015 show.

One or two people pointed on in PM that they had heard that a different drill designer - a person known in WGI circles, perhaps somewhat known in band circles, and unknown in DCI as far as I know - would be joining Regiment for 2016. It would seem that ultimately didn't work out? Was there indeed a different designer planned, but then Emmert was a fallback?

Who did you think was going to design the show?

There's only one I can think of. I bet he's on their short list, too.

And who are you guessing it is? Just curious.

Still not sold on Pitts.

Emmert had no chance coming in. Plus, from his previous comments, I'm surprised he's there at all.

That would require them to want to work with the admin and who wants to do that?!?

Emmert is a die-hard PR guy. Why do you always try to bash the administration? You have a very negative outlook.

What did Will Pitts say the show concept was on tonight's Indy broadcast?

I don't think Will said much. But the other guy said it was about having or fighting for your voice to be heard. You could have given me 10 different show titles and I'm not sure I could have matched one with this show. Definitely room to grow.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Phantom's show last night. Brass and percussion sounded great. Classic drum corps! Best of luck to them this season.

• Like 4

Everyone came prepared last night. Props to all marching members! I'm not sure about this whole WGI approach to programming though. Oh well, to each their own. At least the activity is varied enough so tthat something appeals to everyone....and that's what will keep the activity alive. I personally like the approach Regiment is taking this season. Musically and stylistically uncluttered. Somewhat akin to 2003. They have work to do, like every other corps and they will produce a gem by the end of the season.

I really enjoyed bits and pieces from every show last night and it makes me excited to see how these programs will develop over the season. It will be an interesting season for sure. My best to each and every marching member out there no matter who you're marching with. You've earned an opportunity to do something special that will impact the rest of your lives. Be safe, stay focused and be sure to put your heart into every moment on the field. The rewards are priceless.

For the members of the 2016 Phantom Regiment, I'll watch you with a heart full of pride knowing you are taking the corps into the next sixty years of tradition, excellence, and entertainment.

SUTA

• Like 6

I just finished watching Phantom run their show this evening over at Jackson HS (Ohio). I must say that I'm not sure what all the complaints and concerns are, because what I just watched is going to be one incredible show once cleaned. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow in uniform, and maybe that will give me a different feel to the show. But what I saw and heard tonight makes me think they will be pushing at the Cavaliers in due time. Brass and percussion are wonderful. Fabulous bass drum line and the overall music book is not nearly as disconnected as their park concert was. When you see the whole thing you hear all the transitions that are pit related. They also use some wonderful vox samples (very haunting, yet beautiful and ethereal female voices). These help to bridge a number of the sequences. Their ballad is GORGEOUS! The young lady playing the trumpet solo during the ballad is outstanding, and all the soloists featured throughout are truly excellent. Young Person's Guide is a blast. There is plenty of demand in this show, and there are some visual things to work through; but this corps could easily push much higher than many are giving them credit for at this point.

• Like 4

I just finished watching Phantom run their show this evening over at Jackson HS (Ohio). I must say that I'm not sure what all the complaints and concerns are, because what I just watched is going to be one incredible show once cleaned. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow in uniform, and maybe that will give me a different feel to the show. But what I saw and heard tonight makes me think they will be pushing at the Cavaliers in due time. Brass and percussion are wonderful. Fabulous bass drum line and the overall music book is not nearly as disconnected as their park concert was. When you see the whole thing you hear all the transitions that are pit related. They also use some wonderful vox samples (very haunting, yet beautiful and ethereal female voices). These help to bridge a number of the sequences. Their ballad is GORGEOUS! The young lady playing the trumpet solo during the ballad is outstanding, and all the soloists featured throughout are truly excellent. Young Person's Guide is a blast. There is plenty of demand in this show, and there are some visual things to work through; but this corps could easily push much higher than many are giving them credit for at this point.

I think people's complaints are that they are not modern enough, mostly arising from the fact that the WGIcoats are putting out stuff that's really pushing the boundaries. I do think Regiment does need to modernize some, but I'm content with them adding diversity to DCI

• Like 2