MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Channel3's post is a perfect example of eisegesis run amok, and this is why it is best to leave biblical history and scriptural interpretation to those who are specifically trained in it. When I need an exegetical approach to understanding a specific Bible verse, I seek out a qualified scholar.

Many of Channel3's posts are head-scratchers. But this one was entirely appropriate (and not worthy of the critique he's receiving). I don't find it ignorant at all, though perhaps "confident" is a good descriptor.

Regarding Judas' race, there is no reference to it in the Bible. None. End of story. The most one can glean is he was Jewish. One can make suppositions about the meaning of Iscariot (region lived or sect origin, for example), but to apply it to his race is irresponsible scholarship.

He's not referring to biblical portrayal. He's referring to how Judas has been portrayed on stage/screen. His point should be noted: the bad guy has often been cast as a black guy. While I don't share his warning to Madison designers on this (e.g., we see a mix of races performing a variety of characters in Hamilton right now), it's an interesting point.

Regarding whether or not biblical context should be avoided, perhaps the question should be: "Should biblical context be overt?" It's going to be implied no matter what approach is taken; Judas' life is inexorably connected to the Jesus biographies. Is Judas the personification of betrayal? Aren't we all in some sense? Benedict Arnold anybody?

We'll soon find out Madison's take on this. To me, it's a bizarre choice for a show concept. And I thought this from the first announcement.

Regarding Judas' hanging, Phantom murders somebody on a regular basis. Why are we getting queasy over a suicide all of the sudden? I would refrain from staging Judas' demise, but it is an important detail. Should it be attempted, I would urge extreme restraint.

To me, suicide is far, far different than murder in its role on a football field. The only comparison is the end of Regiment's Juliet show in 2011, and I think the context is different. Two star-crossed lovers committing suicide because their love for each other goes unfulfilled is different than a lone suicide hanging due to the guilt of betrayal.

That said, I agree that Judas's demise shouldn't be portrayed in absolute.

• Like 1

Vereen's is the most well-known portrayal in the 20th century, and it conveniently furthered the black Judas myth, regardless of their saying "he was the best peformer for the role". (If he was the best performer, why didn't they cast him as Jesus?) His wasn't the only portrayal that used Judas as a cultural scapegoat. http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Most-Hated-Name-History/dp/1444754726 It's been going on for centuries.

Cultural scapegoating must be avoided in this production because it throws the focus off track. The focus should be on the friendship, breach of loyalty, and ultimate betrayal. This is just one aspect of Mdison's production that needs to be handled with care.

For one reason, being the best person for one role does not mean you are automatically best for other roles. Judas is a much more interesting and critical part than Jesus in the show. Witness Ted Neeley as Jesus in the film. Pretty much a cypher of a role/performance.

I don't see any reference in your link to Judas being portrayed over the centuries as black, at least in the book's summary and the long review posted on Amazon.

Regarding Judas' hanging, Phantom murders somebody on a regular basis. Why are we getting queasy over a suicide all of the sudden? I would refrain from staging Judas' demise, but it is an important detail. Should it be attempted, I would urge extreme restraint.

Boy,. I'd hate to be THAT person! :tounge2:

• Like 1

Channel 3 posts and the drinking game always go hand in hand. We had the the rare twofer in this one. The preachy from on high post AND the name drop! This is Miss Lippy stuff of the highest order, to be sure. ($1 to me for the obscure Billy Madison reference)

For those of you late to the game, join us in the drink of your choice.

You see, the Madison Scouts are like... a puppy. And Channel 3 is the little boy. And the industry, that was a revolution.

• Like 1

We'll soon find out Madison's take on this. To me, it's a bizarre choice for a show concept. And I thought this from the first announcement.

Based on the (admittedly) few clips I've heard, I'm not sure this is going to be a completely new and different show than the '99 version. I'm still down with it.

Mike

Based on the (admittedly) few clips I've heard, I'm not sure this is going to be a completely new and different show than the '99 version. I'm still down with it.

Mike

It certainly seems that it'll be similar to 99, at least musically. And I'm cool with that also.

But I also suspect they will introduce some lyrics, as it'd be tough to portray "Judas" with a straightforward musical production like 99.

I don't see any reference in your link to Judas being portrayed over the centuries as black, at least in the book's summary and the long review posted on Amazon.

Me neither. Also,. for those that even remotely recall their studies of Shakespeare in their English Classes, they would remember that ALL the male and female characters in Shakespeare's works that were brought to the theatre in Elizabethan Times were played by male actors. Do we thus conclude from this that all Drama depiction in these times was " sexist ". If so, that would be a silly conclusion, imo. Its always a bit silly to apply current cultural mores to past cultural times, imo. The fact that Judas has been played by both black and white actors at different stages of history does not mean that the time a black actor was utilized for Judas role was a "racist" incident. That would not only be an inaccurate assumption, imo, it would be intellectually weak to attempt to link the two without the knowledge of the basis upon which the actual actor happened to be selected for that role in the first place. The character of Judas in this play is in fact a major role. I would be more concerned thus if only whites played major roles, and blacks were either non existent in the play, or routinely played the minor roles of the talkless servants who were always made to bring the water and food to Judas or some such in these plays.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly seems that it'll be similar to 99, at least musically. And I'm cool with that also.

But I also suspect they will introduce some lyrics, as it'd be tough to portray "Judas" with a straightforward musical production like 99.

Integrating lyrical content seems like it may walk a tightrope between effective and corny. Best I could hope for would be some very subtle lyrical tidbits from Heaven on Their Minds or Blood Money/Judas' Death.

Plus, you also have the decision to make between having a MM sing or sampling some Carl Anderson/Ben Vereen/etc, both of which have their downsides.

Either way, definitely excited to see the product on the field come summer!

All I can say is Madison doing this show may just make me go to a drum corps show for the first time since 2013.