Official 2016 Staff Changes

Also, and really importantly. Unlike a lot of people tied to Regiment. Will Pitts is REALLY good at shaking hands, making friends, and generally not being one of those "inside looking out" types you see a lot of at Regiment. He is a good face for the organization that people WANT to reward and WANT to like.

I agree that he is very friendly and genuine. I was more concerned with their same ol' same ol' hiring procedures that Regiment does. Plus, the cynical side of me said, "Who would they get to come there anyway?"

I agree that he is very friendly and genuine. I was more concerned with their same ol' same ol' hiring procedures that Regiment does. Plus, the cynical side of me said, "Who would they get to come there anyway?"

But does being frienly and being able to glad-hand people mean the product is going to be better?

I hope they've found what they're looking for though.

With the great announcements of Madison, Blue Stars, Regiment, Colts and Cavies with staff adds and adjustments, maybe it's time for a "Re-invigorating Midwestern Competitive Success" thread.

One of the flatlanders out there would have to do it though as I, an Easterner on the Atlantic, would never dare; too busy tracking Boston's shifts and the other 2 usual suspects. :augen51:

Edited by xandandl

(disclaimer: I'm not fired up about the Pitts hire - I've heard some of his wind ensemble stuff and like it, and I've heard some of his HS arrangements and don't like it)

Buick brings up a good point: What had Shaw really done prior to being named arranger in 2002? He'd arranged for Boston Crusaders at some point in the 90s, I think. He'd arranged for a brass ensemble that he participated in. Other than that, had he done much? Granted, he was older, and he'd served on some staffs. Shaw was primarily a performer, Pitts is primarily a composer - I think there are positives for each perspective

He founded/arranged for Boston Brass, one of THE premier brass ensemble in the world that has been around now for around 30 years (JD left them around the time he left Phantom IIRC). Shaw was pretty accomplished with Boston Brass before beginning his Regiment tenure in 2002.

• Like 1

This, from CrownBRASS Facebook page:

We would like to welcome back to the #CrownBRASS staff, Mr. Evan VanDoren! We are extremely excited to have another #CrownBRASSAgeout as a part of the staff!

For more information on the #CrownBRASS Staff check out the staff page at CrownBrass.org:

http://www.crownbrass.org/index/#/evan-vandoren/

I've updated the OP. However, I do have some questions that need clearing up:

1. Boston's system for staff positions is a little unusual and so I am confused as to whether Jay Murphy is replacing Adam Sage or if there is a difference between Visual Designer vs. Visual Coordinator.

2. There are a few staff changes where I was not sure as to who is being replaced since not all corps keep archives of staff from previous years. If you see any updates that are missing the person who is being replaced/is leaving, please let me know who it is so I can make the changes accordingly.

Thanks for all the updates everyone!

I think by what I have read, Jay is the PROGRAM Designer which to me would be different from Visual Designer (Brian Murphy and what he brings to the table) or Visual Coordinator (not sure if this is Adam's area) in that his input would extend to or include visual, music, guard & overall drill presentation, via storytelling & staging, the look of the corps on the field etc., etc. The Visual Designer and Coordinator would work very closely together, to implement the Design direction and framework. Jay as the Program Designer would work closely with the Brass, Percussion and Guards heads to develop the program with them.

I think this is Jay's strength given what we see each year from BD. I believe this is another strong step forward to building something that will sustain a high level of performance. IMO.

• Like 1

This, from CrownBRASS Facebook page:

We would like to welcome back to the #CrownBRASS staff, Mr. Evan VanDoren! We are extremely excited to have another #CrownBRASSAgeout as a part of the staff!

For more information on the #CrownBRASS Staff check out the staff page at CrownBrass.org:

http://www.crownbrass.org/index/#/evan-vandoren/

with that posting and this one, http://www.crownbrass.org/index/#/kevin-lebeouf/, now I am really feeling old!!!

I remember when Klesch was a Cadets' rookie and these two were just being born!!! Much talent and energy there as they try to win back the Ott.

Edited by xandandl