Epiphany: Phantom should do New World in 2016!

I may be in the minority here, but I do not mind when Phantom repeats music. Classical music is about treasuring the old and appreciating the new. Great orchestras do not perform a symphony by Brahms only once then abandon it because it's been done before, if anything they perform it again to show improvement or new nuances. That being said, "New World" does belong in 1989. Stylistically it is a 1980's show and it might not translate well today. I loved the show, and as a matter of fact watched it last night, but I'm not sure it's calling out "Do over."

Something that is interesting, another threat suggested SCV revisiting "Phantom" for the 30th anniversary of the London premiere. I also know some believe "New World " and PR should have won the title. Maybe they could go head to head, but the magic of both shows might be lost.

If it is of the classical world that Phantom is popularly wished to return, then I would strongly suggest the Sym. #7 by Beethoven. There is more than enough within the pages for which a staff could build incredible GE points.

I've joked it's the last Classic not redone. Not sure I want it though. But given the minder, if they do, no ride patterns in the ballad please

that Neal Hefti-ish beat in the Largo was just gosh awful. Ruined one of my favorite Regiment shows ever.

That part was pretty awful, wasn't it?

That's being nice. And I was dumb enough to think I could improve it a few years later with a band. Well it was better but it still sucked lol

Better yet, if Phantom were to be constrained to the "Classical" world, I would suggest some sort of staging to music of Krzysztof Penderecki. Not at all a household name...and most certainly NOT of common public taste. But for "knock your socks off" GE...none better. Unfortunately, an accurate rendition of any of his works would necessitate the purchase of quarter-tone brass...and would have to be in extremely large trust in both public and adjudicator's ears. But hey...if nothing else, it would certainly be original. Posters have spoken before of corps being avant-garde; well, THIS would give drum and bugle corps avant-garde a whole new meaning.

Edited by HornTeacher

I'm talking about the original take on Spartacus, not the 2008 version.

I realize that, which was the reason for my response.

In 2008 people couldn't believe PR was doing Spartacus because it was such a classic.

Saying the original Spartacus show wasn't a classic is shocking.

• Like 1

I'm talking about the original take on Spartacus, not the 2008 version.

The first original (1981, 5th, 90.85) or the second original (1982, 4th, 92.15)?

The latter was just 0.1 from third place.

Although since both of those shows took place in Montreal . . . no, wait, that's a different thread.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

The first original (1981, 5th, 90.85) or the second original (1982, 4th, 92.15)?

Which are BOTH classics