Epiphany: Phantom should do New World in 2016!

I wouldn't mind a redo of "The New World Symphony." It's been a long time.

To me, however, I'd like to see Phantom Regiment do something unique and different, yet with a hint of classicism in the style. I would love to see them take on the music of John Williams. That's right, John Williams. Phantom's brass sound and those white uniforms along with Williams' majestic, punctuated, and dramatic scores would be amazing. They'd likely have to beg for permission, but a show featuring Empire Strikes Back would be bold, big, dramatic, popular, and very Regiment. Permissions would be difficult, and many would consider the story hokey or cliche, but with all the Star Wars popularity due to a movie on its' way and Disney expanding both parks with Star Wars attractions, this would be a bold and risky move by Phantom. Definitely outside the box. :)

Hook. The music of Hook is some of my favorite John Williams music.

• Like 1

Yes - the cymbal ride specifically. It was a horrible piece of writing in an otherwise spectacular show.

Just listened to that... okay, yeah, that sucked. I guess I never really "heard" it before... or I blocked it from memory. :music:

I would agree, minus the Jazz-ish portion of the ballad.

It probably would not be the exact arrangement for many reasons, and the "jaz-ish" portion would probably not be included, but in 1989 it worked very well and was the style. It was toward the end of that kind of arranging, but it was performed well. Down the road what we consider so up to date will be old school.

• Like 1

89 sorted of ruined NWS for the field by setting such a high standard, Blues Stars take on if a few years back really emphasized this point to me

I'm with you on the Blue Stars, though I liked the Glassmen treatment in the mid-00s. I think that was Robert W. Smith's first year as arranger there, and the arrangement had a Magic of Orlando feel to it. Dope, fly, and fresh.

The title of the '89 show was "From a New World to a New Age" which might explain some of the writing for that show. Marty Hurley might have felt that cymbal ride was necessary to update the Jazz theme at the time. I'm not a drummer but I don't feel that flourish destroyed that piece, but rather, enhanced the feeling they were trying to convey.

Am I the only one who liked the jazz portion of the ballad? I had never heard the source music, so I had no preconceived ideas about how it was supposed to sound. I thought it was nice injection of energy to the middle of the show.

Phantom's '89 show was also my introduction to the "New World" symphony, and I remember particularly being puzzled by what sounded like the theme from Jaws in the closer.

Down the road, what we consider so up to date will be old school.

Absolutely.

That's being nice. And I was dumb enough to think I could improve it a few years later with a band. Well it was better but it still sucked lol

I was judging a show in CT back then, and the percussion guy had done something similar to his band's ballad after PR's show, and the band director, who I knew pretty well (and who was a percussionist), came up to me and told me he hated the part, and would I please make extra-special note of it on my GE tape.