Epiphany: Phantom should do New World in 2016!

Which are BOTH classics

Perhaps I'm just biased as I did not enjoy them as much then lol. I think most people know I'm not one to say anything bad about PR.

I may be in the minority here, but I do not mind when Phantom repeats music. Classical music is about treasuring the old and appreciating the new. Great orchestras do not perform a symphony by Brahms only once then abandon it because it's been done before; if anything, they perform it again to show improvement or new nuances.

Great orchestras also perform a lot more music before repeating a given work. Between any two performances of the Symphony No. 9 "From the New World", a symphony orchestra might play a hundred concerts of other music. Running quickly through the Cleveland Orchestra's 2015-2016 season listing, for instance, I see a few works by Dvořák programmed amid (roughly) 75 different pieces of music, but not that one.

Then again, next season is Phantom's 50th anniversary.

Will their pre-show be Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" after whom the current corps is named?

(Yes, I know the original name was the Rockford Rangers.)

Doesn't their conductor also age-out next season too? Whatever they choose, he'll be flapping those wings quicker than a wind mill!

x, I know this must have been a typo but next year is our 60th anniversary, a diamond anniversary ( one of a number of diamond-designated anniversaries ).

You are certainly correct about the original name, chosen by Alex Haddad, our founder. Rockford was then known, at least in Illinois, as the Forest City…until a Dutch Elm Disease ravaged the city.

I've been thinking about 2016. The furthest I've gotten is to select a program title, i.e., "The Regiment. A Classical Tradition"

As for music, I would like to have the corps select a classical piece from each of our 6 decades and build a show with these.

For those that might question whether there is anything classical from our first decade, I would mention Un Bel Di ( which we knew then as One Fine Day) and Pagliacci. My recollection is that both pieces were introduced to PR by Ms Marian Armato, a classical pianist who assisted our horn line during our early years and who later. as I recall, moved to Denver and had some association with the Blue Knights. I always think of her when the conversation turns to the Regiment's classical tradition. Marian was the spark.

Anyway, I can hear the clamor already among those who admonish us about retrieving songs we've featured in the past (and I do not necessarily disagree with the sentiment) but I do believe that among the many arrangements scored by Jim Wren, Michael Klesch and JD Shaw we could find six that would meet the test.

If our DCPlaneteers have any suggestions, let us know. Thanks.

Edited by 1956OPR

Nod to 1956OPR on the 60th anniversary correction. The 50th anniversary show was Faust, a show that I thought was an odd selection for such an anniversary but ended up being bold and incredible. And that's another reason I'm so impressed with that 05-07 design team: they weren't afraid to make a bold move in a 50th anniversary season and give us such great new stuff (Biebl's Ave Maria, Corigliano) while nodding to a little old stuff (Mahler's 2nd, Scythian Suite).

So, I want to Phantom Regiment to spend it's 60th birthday being bold and incredible.

But, if they must redo the New World, then I'll only accept it if JD Shaw, Paul Rennick, Jamey Thompson, and Adam Sage reunite forces, Voltron-style.

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 2

Count me in as the many who are against Regiment rehashing anything. As part of their 60th anniversary year, I think Regiment should be celebrating the start of a new direction; one in which they bring their classical music identity (and thereby proudly display it) and mix it with the modern DCI landscape. I think the show design should have motifs that give nods to their history, but there is no need to repeat any music that they have already done (though adding in a tag or two of past pieces would be pretty cool).

• Like 1

I'm talking about the original take on Spartacus, not the 2008 version.

The original IS considered a classic within the Regiment.

• Like 1

Actually I like the 80's version of Spartacus better music wise.

Yes. But on the condition that the music arrangements stayed the same. And that ain't going to happen.

Yes. But on the condition that the music arrangements stayed the same. And that ain't going to happen.

I would agree, minus the Jazz-ish portion of the ballad.