2016 Rule Congress proposals

well... a lot of the top drum guys disagree with you. This proposal will likely pass.

not what I hear

well... a lot of the top drum guys disagree with you. This proposal will likely pass.

Actually, none of the top drum guys disagree with me. (None have communicated with me, or addressed my posts here.)

Anyway, I already know where the top drum judges stand on this issue. If the corps want to veer away from the accepted best method of adjudication, they have the decision making power. It would not be the first time. They still use half panels at certain early season shows, knowing that this is not the accepted best method of adjudication, but willing to compromise on that briefly in order to save money. (Not seeing comparable justification for this proposal, though.)

How are you going to tell when you're on the sideline and you have 70 brass and a color guard in between you and them, with the sound of amplified pits right behind?

Though to be fair, how accurate a read are you getting right now when the judge sprints for 15 minutes following the snare line around while the tenors are 20 yards to the left, the basses are 10 yards behind and the pit is 40 yards behind you on the other side of the brass?

Mike

Though to be fair, how accurate a read are you getting right now when the judge sprints for 15 minutes following the snare line around while the tenors are 20 yards to the left, the basses are 10 yards behind and the pit is 40 yards behind you on the other side of the brass?

Mike

To be fair ... using exaggerations doesn't tell the true story,

To be fair, some judges could give the front ensemble some more love, Outside of that, they do a pretty balanced job.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

many times a staff is too close to the product or hears the same things over and over and it becomes accepted....when it's not supposed to be. I think we saw that happen in Fort Mills a few years in a row

The instructional staff in the performance captions of that drum corps knew exactly what was going on.

Mike

I would assume that a top level corps would accept the judging outcome if they had that much separation. It is for an effect, the other percussion judge, Music GE, or Music Analysis judges would pick up on it.

Edited by snare_guy_83

First of all, we need to recognize that there is no perfect system. I understand and support a lot of the reasoning behind the judging proposals, yet remain skeptical about some as well. The beautiful thing about rules changes is that they can occur every two years, so I'm not averse to an experiment with taking the judges off the field for two years and then revisiting it later. If it works, great. if they instructors aren't happy, revert it or try something else. Heck, we've had so many judging system changes in the 30+ years I've been involved in DCI I've lost count.

• Like 2

One outcome of removing judging from the field would probably result in GE becoming even more of a factor as it would naturally bleed more significantly into the performance caption. That says a lot considering GE is already weighted in the overall score.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

One outcome of removing judging from the field would probably result in GE becoming even more of a factor as it would naturally bleed more significantly into the performance caption. That says a lot considering GE is already weighted in the overall score.

How, exactly, do you expect this to happen? GE has never been a consideration in the performance captions, and I don't see any reason for that to change, at least not without a *significant* overhaul of how performance captions are judged (regardless of the location of the judge).