No Detailed Recaps

The recap was cropped so MA and perc showed and was posted on my Facebook page

Gotcha, thanks. Do you know how close the Percussion point spread was between Bloo and SCV?

I think its the following?

Overall Perc:

Bluecoats - 1st
SCV - 2nd
Cadets - 3rd
Crown - 4th
BD - 5th
Field:
Crown - 1st
Cadets - 1st
SCV - 3rd
Bluecoats - 4th

BD - 5th

Upstairs:

Bluecoats - 1st

SCV - 2nd
Cadets - 3rd
Crown - 4th
BD - 5th

Despite the fact that the Cadets show this year is suffering from a poor theme, they do have a fab percussion section. Tied for 1st on field, and I like to think they'd be higher with the upstairs judge if they were not backfield so often. And BD in 5th...wow!

Also, I get the reason for not doing full recaps. I personally don't think it changes much and I think the professionalism and training of judges should make this sort of thing obsolete anyway. Is DCI telling us that their judges can't be trusted or that they are not very well trained? Which is it?

Not giving full recaps at all shows is not a good thing, and would be like the NFL not acknowledging the point spread for those who bet on games. That point spread is always there. It's talked about constantly on the morning shows leading up to the games. Why? Because there is a huge number of fans who bet on football. FANS being the operative word.

In DCI, there are a large number of fans, here on DCP and elsewhere, who want to see captions and sub-captions. Think of the thousands of fans who often go to shows to mainly watch as many warm-ups as possible. Some are into the percussion warm-ups, some into brass, some guard. They are there taking videos and snap chatting, tweeting, and uploading their comments and video. To them that is DCI. Some don't even go into the stadium. The show for them is the warm-up and run through. After the show what matters is placement, score, and spread. This sub-culture of DCI is huge, much bigger than people think, and DCI should be feeding the beast (if you will). They should play off this enthusiasm, but instead they throw it aside because they don't seem to trust their judges.

There are a lot of people out there that could care less who wins according to overall score. Some only watch corps for the brass, or for percussion, or for guard and overall visual. Some only care about the caption scores. I encourage DCI to open their eyes and take a close look at the types of fans they have.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

Is DCI telling us that their judges can't be trusted or that they are not very well trained? Which is it?

To me, it seems like they are trying to hide the inconsistencies in the sub captions we've seen in recent years. At this level you should not be seeing things like a 4 placement swing in Percussion/Guard/Brass from show to show. The judges should have similar views on how to approach the scoring.

Because DCI marked them up so if posted they can identify leakers. What's funny is if you follow the email chain, some people all for the change are copied on the leaked recaps.

Just goes to show in their desperation for control, people have found ways around it, including directors

• Like 2

There are a lot of people out there that could care less who wins according to overall score. Some only watch corps for the brass, or for percussion, or for guard and overall visual. Some only care about the caption scores. I encourage DCI to open their eyes and take a close look at the types of fans they have.

I know right? Last year I had some great seats at Stanford up top front row. The guy I gave the other ticket to stayed in the lot the whole night and never showed up at the seat. He just used it to get in near the end.

This is my read of that blurry perc recap screenshot from san antonio:

Field Percussion

Bluecoats 9.0 8.8 = 17.8

SCV 8.9 8.6 = 17.5

Cadets 8.7 8.7 = 17.4

Crown 8.8 8.5 = 17.3

Cavaliers 8.6 8.5 = 17.1

BD 8.6 8.3 = 16.9

Ensemble Percussion

Crown 8.7 8.74 = 17.45

Cadets 8.8.5 8.6 = 17.45

SCV 8.7 8.7 = 17.4