No Detailed Recaps

God I LOVE having detailed recaps back! So much fun! A POX on the house of all of those directors who voted to (try to) keep them sealed and a HUGE thank you to the person who had the 'nads to release these snippets.

Directors take note that you are buffoons to pass this rule and you'll stay buffoons until you rescind it.

• Like 2

Wow, it's great to see BK's drumline beating Phantom and Cavies, and only .70 behind the FREAKING Blue Devils! I knew they were HOT; glad to be able to see it in print.

This weekend's scores are going to be a HOOT to review!

Regardless of how one feels about the recap change this year, it's seems more apparent that there is more volatility to placement outcomes this year. Even performance order doesn't seem to matter as much today. The more judges are seeing the corps, the better they are at giving merit for what they're seeing.

Judges are like the corps themselves. They get better as the season progresses (most judges, but that's another story - and will get it right when it matters the most (last season notwithstanding (still not LOL on that one!).

PS - still skeptical of TOC outcomes. Although, as a fan, really love attending them.

Due to the unprecedented disparate instrumentation useage among the various Corps, there will be unprecedented volatility in the scores, placements from nite to nite, from here on in, imo. Its going to be a veritable roller coaster ride, as few of these judges are going to agree on what wholly dissimilar brass sounds coming from the field they like to hear up in the distant booth. I predicted this unprecedented score and placements volatility on the prediction thread on here in preseason, and thats the way it has been playing out so far too.

Edited by BRASSO

Due to the unprecedented disparate instrumentation useage among the various Corps, there will be unprecedented volatility in the scores, placements from nite to nite, from here on in, imo. Its going to be a veritable roller coaster ride, as few of these judges are going to agree on what wholly dissimilar brass sounds coming from the field they like to hear up in the distant booth. I predicted this unprecedented score and placements volatility on the prediction thread on here in preseason, and thats the way it has been playing out so far too.

Which sheets does measuring "what wholly dissimilar brass sounds coming from the field they like to hear" show up on?

I also don't see more volatility this year. To test, I went to http://dciscores.com/world and counted the top 12 ranking changes in the 10 days before San Antonio for both last year and this year. That is, if the corps icon to the immediate left is different, I counted 1 ranking change.

2016 - 62 ranking changes in 10 days, 6.2 ranking changes per day

2015 - 80 ranking changes in 10 days, 8.0 ranking changes per day

So less placement volatility this year than last.

How are you measuring volatility to claim that we're seeing an "unprecedented" amount of it?

I thought this reddit post was pretty interesting relative to this discussion:

Analysis of Drum Corps Scores - Why Holding Back the Recaps isn't Working

Edited by Jurassic Lancer