SCV 2016

Just saw the full run of "Force of Nature" and all I can say is that SCV is a force to be reckoned with in 2016. By far this is my favorite SCV show in years. The fierceness on the faces of the guard, the horn angles to the box, oh my, it was a stunner. The corps is already selling it big. And this was just the day of show afternoon run. Come August oh my goodness. Go SCV!!!

I was also at rehearsal, and I've got to agree, it's a great show. It's very well-constructed, like several recent Vanguard shows. I think the thunderstorm section is one of the most compelling effects of the summer. But it was the much-improved brass that really got my attention. Those mellophones! I wound up way more sold on their music book than when I've seen them in recent seasons.

The horn line was practicing the big push from "Ballet for Martha", so hopefully we're getting that as an encore tonight!

• Like 1

*Love* the changes they've been making in the brass, adding phrases here and there to lengthen the impact points. Reminds me of 2007 when they added a whole section to the third movement right before championships that cooked. And you know that's not the final ending.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

*Love* the changes they've been making in the brass, adding phrases here and there to lengthen the impact points. Reminds me of 2007 when they added a whole section to the third movement right before championships that cooked. And you know that's not the final ending.

I think SCV is still off a lot of people's radars, I can't wait until they go to the east coast

• Like 4

I was also at rehearsal, and I've got to agree, it's a great show. It's very well-constructed, like several recent Vanguard shows. I think the thunderstorm section is one of the most compelling effects of the summer. But it was the much-improved brass that really got my attention. Those mellophones! I wound up way more sold on their music book than when I've seen them in recent seasons.

The horn line was practicing the big push from "Ballet for Martha", so hopefully we're getting that as an encore tonight!

Oh yeah, that brass is something else this year -- and all I've gotten a read on is from video. The last time I remember hearing SCV tubas/contras like that was in 1987 RCM. This line reminds me a lot of 1987.

And speaking of 1987 --- I think this year's opener is the best SCV opener since RCM. The staging of the tubas at the first brass hit is JUST RIGHT.

Man, I love this corps.

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 3

I don't understand why the leadership of SCV seems so disinterested in promoting and marketing their organization. They should be among the most talked about corps, with one of the most anticipated shows. Maybe they just feel like competing for attention with BD is a lost cause so why bother, but they do themselves and the activity a huge disservice.

Phantom was the show that hooked me on drum corps. I so acutely remember watching that on PBS as a kid and just being in utter awe of what I was seeing. It still, for me, is the best drum corps show ever produced.

Maybe there are folks here who marched with Vanguard who can explain or even defend their MO. I wish everyone was trading bootlegged versions of this show, it is truly that great. The activity needs Vanguard to be a lot more selfish about focus on their activities.

They are seriously flirting with Bluecoats for my favorite of the year............I feel like Bluecoats satisfy my more modern/vibe driven preference and Vanguard satisfies my old school/beautiful melodies preference. I feel like if they really flesh out the closer it could be my favorite. The front 75% is just out of this world for me. I really hope they make a medal drive, could care less if they do, but I love this show sooooo much.

Their mellos this year are just straight from heaven.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

SCV is my favourite corps this year. A sublime show but the question is can this more 'old school' approach be competitive enough to get out of the 5th place slot they find themselves constantly stuck in? Will they be competing with BD/Crown/BC or will they be competing in the end with Cavs (and maybe Cadets)?

SCV is my favourite corps this year. A sublime show but the question is can this more 'old school' approach be competitive enough to get out of the 5th place slot they find themselves constantly stuck in? Will they be competing with BD/Crown/BC or will they be competing in the end with Cavs (and maybe Cadets)?

I had a similar thought after watching the Stanford video - is all this awesome drill too old school to score well? After seeing them rehearse/perform in Portland, I realized that they also have a decent amount of body work, staged moments, and highlighted individual performances. There was a lot of focus from the staff in rehearsal on getting these moments to work and communicate. Maybe they don't do these elements quite as well as BD/Crown, but they have them and do them quite well.

I had a similar thought after watching the Stanford video - is all this awesome drill too old school to score well? After seeing them rehearse/perform in Portland, I realized that they also have a decent amount of body work, staged moments, and highlighted individual performances. There was a lot of focus from the staff in rehearsal on getting these moments to work and communicate. Maybe they don't do these elements quite as well as BD/Crown, but they have them and do them quite well.

I feel like SCV could take that next, last step if they hired someone who understood how to use props and staging in a more compelling way. Last year's show was really cool, but the prop was sort of awkward—sort of like BC's windmills. At some point, they just sort of got in the way.

This year, they've gone minimalist—which is cool, but probably not going to get them a medal.

SCV has ALL of the raw materials, they've done the hardest part of the work required to be a medalist. But their shows don't seem to evolve, and therefore they always feel like the best great show that doesn't have that unmeasurable quality of wow factor. When you have BD, Coats, Crown and Cadets pouring every possible idea/dollar/brain cell into show concept and staging, that inevitably leaves SCV perfecting things that are not really going to win them a medal.

SCV lives in the shadow of BD, and that's a shame.