Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

Isn't one of the advantages of less kaleidoscopic drills a noticeable reduction in the amount of member injuries?

and less babies being injured too :)

I guess Cadets didn't win in 2011. Last time I checked, they did, and they still had some good "kaleidoscopic" drill.

I hear ya... I thought their show that year was all about the visuals. Great brass and percussion, obviously... but the visual show, with the alternating uniforms and the effects created by them and the visual forms, including the high-speed stuff... sold that show to the maximum.

With the Cadets success from 2015, run and gun will most likely stay a part of the repitore.

Not many other corps are largely known for it. The Cavaliers being the former exception have again switched drill designers (back to 2012 with Richard Hinshaw) so there may be a resort back to the former 'm.o.'.

It being one of my favorite aspects of drill design when I was getting into drum coprs, early 2000s, I would appreciate its return.

• Like 1

I don't think any corps has ever used fully kaleidoscopic drill. There are visual aspects in most shows that can be seen as kaleidoscopic. Some corps just do it more often.

As far as high velocity drill, I disagree with the statement that speed for speeds sake is done with in DCI. I'm not even sure I understand that. Fast drill exists solely to be impressive. Fast drill is always unnecessary, but corps use it to highten their program. Recently we've seen corps make strategic decisions regarding their visual program. Corps do what they do in order to boost their program and get better scores. Right now the Cadets still hold onto their high velocity drill (although overall I wouldn't call it kaleidoscopic). Recently Crown has abandoned their 2012 drill style (which was high velocity and fairly kaleidoscopic). But if Crown doesn't win in the next 3 years they will 100% change things up. BD continues to dominate, and thus there hasn't been any real need to amp up their drill. It's all about winning, and if a corps believes high velocity drill will give them a better score, they'll do it. It's all cyclical.

Edited by Name

i think we're seeing, activity wide a switch away from run and gun all the time. demanding yes, but overwhelmingly the same demands over and over. now it's showing about how you can run, dance, hop, skip, poses with one foot at the other knee, tor point, the draw the leg around in an arc etc stuff

• Like 2

i think we're seeing, activity wide a switch away from run and gun all the time. demanding yes, but overwhelmingly the same demands over and over. now it's showing about how you can run, dance, hop, skip, poses with one foot at the other knee, tor point, the draw the leg around in an arc etc stuff

Yeah, all stuff that's not difficult or demanding.

• Like 1

without a doubt!!!!!!!