Blue Devils 2016

I love BD, but doesn't their treatment of the trombones seem a little... overly cautious? Especially now that cadets move around with them. They awkwardly stage moments down to them, several times, and it is really distracting.

I mean the best place to keep them is at the front sideline, no? Why would they stage something with the trombones further downfield and then have them come all the way to the front sideline to put them away?

• Like 1

I mean the best place to keep them is at the front sideline, no? Why would they stage something with the trombones further downfield and then have them come all the way to the front sideline to put them away?

Absolutely. Maybe it is the length of segments used, but if they are going to move and have that little integration, why not just have them stand in the pit and play them?

Let me phrase that, better. Are the trombones in, any way, contributing to the visual composition? I'd say no, right now. But I'm sure that'll change once they hear that criticism.

LOVE THIS SHOW, though!

Like a said in an earlier post the staging was not present. The platforms were not used at all but they were carted around here and there. So I'm guessing they might be standing on the top at a point in their show? We'll see.

• Like 1

For me, given how the trombones function musically -- giving the music a hard, glissando-heavy edge that keeps coming out of nowhere -- it kinda makes sense to me that they aren't totally interspersed with the rest of the brassline. It feels more, i dunno, menacing that way?

Like what? Trombones?

The drum line is as it always is. And there seem to be some quotes from the '07 book if I am correct on my years. The pit seems a bit underwhelming this year in comparison to some of the great sections they have had in the recent past. Edited by auldschool

The drum line is as it always is. And there seem to be some quotes from the '07 book if I am correct on my years. The pit seems a bit underwhelming this year in comparison to some of the great sections they have had in the recent past.

It. Is June.