Blue Devils 2016

Exactly. Crown uses the same old major chords, same minor changes to their uniform like BD, same body movement, same "the world is happy and awesome" closer, etc

I give the Bluecoats a bit of a pass because they've been doing some truly innovative things with soundscapes on the field with their speaker placements and now pit placements (you could say Bluecoats are also redefining the standards of decency for DCI uniforms, but I don't say that as a good thing). Otherwise, the Bluecoats have some very similar concepts. This show and Tilt aren't as different as they may first appear.

Those darn major and minor chords...they can just ruin a show. I want more diminished chords! Diminished chords matter!!

Those darn major and minor chords...they can just ruin a show. I want more diminished chords! Diminished chords matter!!

I don't think he was making a value judgement. People are arguing BD's show design as being formulaic and offering Crown as a counter example, but really they're just as guilty. I'd have to agree, typical Crown opener, body movement and closer all at play this year. There's nothing wrong with that. It works for them and people enjoy it.

Edited by dcsnare93

I don't think he was making a value judgement. People are arguing BD's show design as being formulaic and offering Crown as a counter example, but really they're just as guilty. I'd have to agree, typical Crown opener, body movement and closer all at play this year. There's nothing wrong with that. It works for them and people enjoy it.

Well stale bread looks fine until you open the wrapper and take a wiff. I have loved BDs shows of late. This one doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Well stale bread looks fine until you open the wrapper and take a wiff. I have loved BDs shows of late. This one doesn't pass the smell test for me.

This is one of my favorite shows of the season. Amazing how two people can see the same show and walk away feeling very differently about it. Thankfully there is no shortage of variety in drum corps.

• Like 1

I’ll take a stab at this

Crown has a traditional drum corps show this year but within that context, the left to right movement of the corps as lead by the stage coach across the field is fresh but even more so, their visual body work is cowboy style this year where as last year it was devil style. They adjusted their individual visual repertoire of the horn line to better support the show theme. Since the show theme is different from last year, it becomes original and creative. This is not the case for Blue Devils this year as a lot of their visuals and GE points are rehashed, BD stock moves, therefore they become less original and less creative (stale). Crown’s show has a similar arc to last year but these 2 years are a departure for them, as were the 2 years prior. Crown in 2012 was stale; it was the end of their 2007-12 period which was played out, how many times do we want to see a bug squash?

Bluecoats have unique visuals that are built around the props, ones we haven’t seen before so it’s original and creative. They also have a new sense of staging with multiple points transitioning by visual movements and GE grabs built around the props. It’s very show specific. Plus the color of the props are mixed into the overall color scheme, design palette so it looks fresh compared to BD typical white prop boat. BD did add color to the panels this year but so far it’s a negative. Bluecoats show follows a progression, the bleachers from 2013 combined with the ramps from 2014 but the combination is still fresh, new, original and creative.

Watching DCI for a number of years, you start to notice things; sometimes a corps has a big jump in the ranks then does a copycat show and drops, the staleness (lack of originality and creativity) catches up to them. I’m inclined to think Bluecoats have the winning design in DCI this year. Personally, it’s not my favorite nor do I think it’s the best but I do think it’s the one that has the most reward potential within DCI’s current system and directional push.

There are a lot of shows I enjoy that have massive flaws; BD is only under such scrutiny because they are in the top tier, as it should be when every .1 counts

To illustrate a point, I can take a counter-stab at it.

BD, who has used an enormous amount of straight lines and block forms in recent years, has virtually none in this show. Everything is curved to reflect the flow of water. Other formations include hurricane shapes, waves coming to shore and and eye of the storm. The opening wave body work is the most ambitious, and well-executed unison dance move they've ever attempted. It is fantastic, well-performed, extremely clever and clearly communicates its intent. They've done extensive work on improv movement, and when the horns run or transition in clusters, they are acting out moving through water, with the appropriate visual weight. The trombones have an entire section where they run and "row" with their horns, to further churn the intensity of the storm.

For a corps that has extensively used white and/or PVC props in the past, the only holdover is one little boat, as the color makes it extremely clear to see from a distance. The map props could have been straight stock images of maps. Instead they are colorful and interesting compositions. The artwork is repeated on the front of the guard costumes, which also feature an unusual red accent on the knees, which very much highlights leg movement. The rear of the props is black to provide a clear base color to deliver the horn players when they are turned in sequence, much as they would on a stage. The silk designs play into the storm theme and the colors all pop, but also work seamlessly with the blue and aqua. Since they added the through-the-prop spins, the one silk is too busy, but let's see what happens with that. The Chandler-favorite fuchsia, used virtually every year, is nowhere to be seen.

The Shakespeare-inspired sleeve and ascot are the most extensive modification they've ever made to the main corps uniform.

Streamers on the sabers are used to spectacular effect. And on and on.

In contrast, one could say, Crown has done a minor adaptation of their several-year-old uniform, complete with a strange interpretation of the hat more appropriate for welcoming you to Munchkinland, than the old west. The guard costumes are beautifully detailed, but designed for close inspection, rather than visual pop from a distance. Everything is earth tones, bronze, gold, lush warmth, and much like 2010, very hard to see on the green field. Resulting impact from the guard is greatly diminished from 2015.

The overall staging of the corps is very similar to past years, with generic transitions from set piece to set piece, and numerous multiple-line blocks, created to let the horns stand in place, while they shift weight to different feet, stand on one leg, point, squat, and otherwise pose. The movement from left to right is not that dramatic and the buggy in the back becomes uninteresting a few minutes into the show. You know the direction it is moving and you expect the Crown-patented happy ending. The show is devoid of surprise and the tango section kills any momentum built in the opener. The pacing of the show is not that different from 2014, with a paper-thin story overlay. 2015 was far more interesting from a staging, intrigue and communication standpoint, especially the part with the red scrim!

So, what have I illustrated here? "Stale" is totally based on individual preferences. The top corps are exceptionally good, and no matter the detail of the explanation, a particular style or approach is only "stale" to the observer if they weren't a huge fan of the approach in the first place, and have lost interest in seeing it evolve naturally.

• Like 8

So, what have I illustrated here? "Stale" is totally based on individual preferences. The top corps are exceptionally good, and no matter the detail of the explanation, a particular style or approach is only "stale" to the observer if they weren't a huge fan of the approach in the first place, and have lost interest in seeing it evolve naturally.

Well, I cannot speak for anyone else, but this does not in any way apply to me. If I was making a list of the 20 best DCI shows ever, Blue Devils would have at least a third of them.

To illustrate a point, I can take a counter-stab at it.

BD, who has used an enormous amount of straight lines and block forms in recent years, has virtually none in this show. Everything is curved to reflect the flow of water. Other formations include hurricane shapes, waves coming to shore and and eye of the storm. The opening wave body work is the most ambitious, and well-executed unison dance move they've ever attempted. It is fantastic, well-performed, extremely clever and clearly communicates its intent. They've done extensive work on improv movement, and when the horns run or transition in clusters, they are acting out moving through water, with the appropriate visual weight. The trombones have an entire section where they run and "row" with their horns, to further churn the intensity of the storm.

For a corps that has extensively used white and/or PVC props in the past, the only holdover is one little boat, as the color makes it extremely clear to see from a distance. The map props could have been straight stock images of maps. Instead they are colorful and interesting compositions. The artwork is repeated on the front of the guard costumes, which also feature an unusual red accent on the knees, which very much highlights leg movement. The rear of the props is black to provide a clear base color to deliver the horn players when they are turned in sequence, much as they would on a stage. The silk designs play into the storm theme and the colors all pop, but also work seamlessly with the blue and aqua. Since they added the through-the-prop spins, the one silk is too busy, but let's see what happens with that. The Chandler-favorite fuchsia, used virtually every year, is nowhere to be seen.

The Shakespeare-inspired sleeve and ascot are the most extensive modification they've ever made to the main corps uniform.

Streamers on the sabers are used to spectacular effect. And on and on.

In contrast, one could say, Crown has done a minor adaptation of their several-year-old uniform, complete with a strange interpretation of the hat more appropriate for welcoming you to Munchkinland, than the old west. The guard costumes are beautifully detailed, but designed for close inspection, rather than visual pop from a distance. Everything is earth tones, bronze, gold, lush warmth, and much like 2010, very hard to see on the green field. Resulting impact from the guard is greatly diminished from 2015.

The overall staging of the corps is very similar to past years, with generic transitions from set piece to set piece, and numerous multiple-line blocks, created to let the horns stand in place, while they shift weight to different feet, stand on one leg, point, squat, and otherwise pose. The movement from left to right is not that dramatic and the buggy in the back becomes uninteresting a few minutes into the show. You know the direction it is moving and you expect the Crown-patented happy ending. The show is devoid of surprise and the tango section kills any momentum built in the opener. The pacing of the show is not that different from 2014, with a paper-thin story overlay. 2015 was far more interesting from a staging, intrigue and communication standpoint, especially the part with the red scrim!

I enjoyed your perspective on BD. Very nice insight. I don't think any further justification is needed to compare to anyone else. The BD show stands on its own merit. Let's see where they take it.

I have loved the development of BD's show over the summer. It was such a mess at family day and in Sacramento. Things were a bit more clear my final in person viewing at the Rose Bowl. I think this years show has a totally different feel than 2015. The drill from up high is beautifully designed and does feel much different than in past years. I love the soft lines and curves. I enjoy the tension created by the storm and trombones. There is just so much to like, and more to come. Once they get that percussion section cleaned up some more they will be tough to beat. Then again, I also love many things about Crown's show as well as the Bloo, but since this is a BD thread I will stop here. I will add that any one of the three corps I mentioned could bring home the Gold. The top spot will go to the corps who performs the best on Finals night, and that is how it should be!

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 5

clown is banal and insipid but think they "deserve it" even though they don't come through finals night bloo keeps doing the same 4 measures the whole show and cadets are traditional but always have my respect because they proved them self and always entertain.

clown is banal and insipid but think they "deserve it" even though they don't come through finals night bloo keeps doing the same 4 measures the whole show and cadets are traditional but always have my respect because they proved them self and always entertain.

Wow.

• Like 3