Blue Devils 2016

@Highwaydude is streaming dekalb on periscope, up now is BD

• Like 2

I've seen the show live 3 times now. I'm all in. This show is amazing. My favorite Blue Devils show since 2009. This is the year they can 3 peat. I was all in on Crown earlier this season but after getting to see this show live, my mind has been changed very convincingly.

• Like 3

Blue Devils hit very few of the story points in the Tempest. And that's okay. The play is a veritable plot machine. But I think the design team has an obligation to dig in just a bit further with character work to fill out the second half. At about the seven minute mark, we start to ask "Who should we be following here?" And "What's the throughline?" Sure, the small ship prop is a good framing device to wrap things up and give it some understructure, but the ship bookend hardly suffices to fill out the second half of the show.

They need to add a Prospero and Antonio, the warring brothers who are the main characters. We see the forbidden love of Prospero's daughter Miranda and Antonio's ally Alonso's son Ferdinand. That love interest is crystal clear and it's the strongest moment in BD's show. Why not add the fathers battling it out in some way behind them? The play's about the brothers (Alonso can substitute for Antonio, no one will know or care.)

For example, in the scene where Miranda and Ferdinand float and try to connect, I recommend simply adding the two imposing father figures manipulating behind them-- pulling them away, as if the fathers are trying to pull them apart as they float. Simple. That will set the fathers up as opposing forces which can battle briefly, and then be unified at the end.

It's the Tempest. Where are the warring brothers? We need to see them battle, and unite in the end with the loving couple. At very least. And the father characters won't be that hard to add now, maybe because the design team has already prepared for this, and they'll be added shortly. Without them, the Tempest reference gets a bit thin. With them, this show is a sophisticated twelve minute interpretation of a classic piece of literature, and vaults this activity into the realm of cutting edge art. The audience applauded last night during the lover's scene, as they appear to float on separate ships. It was breathtaking and so full of humanity, the audience just knew. They felt it. That's some of the most powerful visual imagery ever seen in drum corps.

Edited by Channel3

Blue Devils hit very few of the story points in the Tempest. And that's okay. The play is a veritable plot machine. But I think the design team has an obligation to dig in just a bit further with character work to fill out the second half. At about the seven minute mark, we start to ask "Who should we be following here?" And "What's the throughline?" Sure, the small ship prop is a good framing device to wrap things up and give it some understructure, but the ship bookend hardly suffices to fill out the second half of the show.

They need to add a Prospero and Antonio, the warring brothers who the play is about. We see the forbidden love of Prospero's daughter Miranda and Antonio's ally Alonso's son Ferdinand. That love interest is crystal clear and it's the strongest moment in BD's show. Why not add the fathers battling it out in some way behind them? The play's about the brothers (Alonso can substitute for Antonio, no one will know or care.)

For example, in the scene where Miranda and Ferdinand float and try to connect, I recommend simply adding the two imposing father figures manipulating behind them-- pulling them away, as if the fathers are trying to pull them apart as they float. Simple. That will set the fathers up as opposing forces which can battle briefly, and then be unified at the end.

It's the Tempest. Where are the warring brothers? We need to see them battle, and unite in the end with the loving couple. At very least. And the father characters won't be that hard to add now, maybe because the design team has already prepared for this, and they'll be added shortly.

I would not be shocked to see some of this fleshed out by Indy.

They need to add a Prospero and Antonio, the warring brothers who are the main characters. We see the forbidden love of Prospero's daughter Miranda and Antonio's ally Alonso's son Ferdinand. That love interest is crystal clear and it's the strongest moment in BD's show. Why not add the fathers battling it out in some way behind them? The play's about the brothers (Alonso can substitute for Antonio, no one will know or care.)

It's the Tempest. Where are the warring brothers? We need to see them battle, and unite in the end with the loving couple. At very least. And the father characters won't be that hard to add now, maybe because the design team has already prepared for this, and they'll be added shortly. Without them, the Tempest reference gets a bit thin. With them, this show is a sophisticated twelve minute interpretation of a classic piece of literature, and vaults this activity into the realm of cutting edge art. The audience applauded last night during the lover's scene, as they appear to float on separate ships. It was breathtaking and so full of humanity, the audience just knew. They felt it. That's some of the most powerful visual imagery ever seen in drum corps.

agree tbh

Prospero is there. Upon seeing their run-through video that was taken in the days before Denver, he can be seen on one of the platforms at the very beginning of the show magically creating the "storm." He then exits the platform once the trombones start playing Cape Fear.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2