Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

The assistant band director of Ayala HS Jim Rogers was the Baritone soloist (93/94 BD), and Soprano soloist (96BD). They want that Soprano sound and the kids are being conditioned to play on the large bore - Not to mention they'll have 20 plus trumpet players, which will make a huge impact in the Lucas Oil Field during BoA finals. It will give drum corps an idea regarding the performance capability of my horn!

The horn is very easy to play. Several Raiders's kids have contacted me via FB praising the horn. I expect a full report from the next weekend!!!

My marketing strategy is actually not drum corps but large high schools and universities, as many of those directors used to March G bugles. It will be a reversed drum corps approach... While DCI is sounding more like marching band, I like to see high school band becoming like old drum corps.

Edited by Vance
  • Like 8

Closer than I would have been Bill. Pin sez "Whaley, Royce Toronto" Be a Drum Corps Booster

It's not so much that they're louder, it's that their sound reaches farther due to the shape of the bell, which gives the horn more of a megaphone property than your average trumpet.

The takeaway, however, is that it's harder to play the horn in tune and with good tone, making it more difficult for the horn line as a whole to play with balance and blend.

Drum Corps is not supposed to be easy.

Drum Corps is not supposed to be easy.

That's why corps have decided to add body movements while playing! Just for you

Vance....do you have a full line planned??

finishing up my. K90 based contrabass in Bb around November.

I'm a percussion guy. Would someone here try to describe a WC hornline on these? What would we experience differently? Just volume? Articulation? Blend?

Someone describe how the top-12 will sound different (my old ears like louder).

I'm a percussion guy. Would someone here try to describe a WC hornline on these? What would we experience differently? Just volume? Articulation? Blend?

I'll describe it as a fellow percussion guy. :p

Basically it'll take a little of the edge off the high end of the ensemble sound, and in theory without taking away the volume. A lot warmer and smoother versus the piercing that trumpets give us.

If my brass methods class taught me anything last year that is......

Edited by DrumManTx

I'll describe it as a fellow percussion guy. :p

Basically it'll take a little of the edge off the high end of the ensemble sound, and in theory without taking away the volume. A lot warmer and smoother versus the piercing that trumpets give us.

If my brass methods class taught me anything last year that is......

And in percussion terms, I guess you could compare it to Mylar heads versus Kevlar heads.

• Like 1

I'd personally like to hear a WC brass line play a full line of horns by this guy. I believe the sound would be fuller and louder, much like the G bugles. Essentially the entire line of brass would be conical. As of now it's mostly conical shaped instruments, but the trumpets are cylindrical. If corps use trombones, well those are cylindrical too.

Cylindrical shaped brass instruments (trumpet and trombone) tend to provide the edge and brightness to a brass section. Even the French Horn has been debated as to whether it is conical (most call it this) vs. cylindrical. If you get rid of the valves, it's conical, but if you include all the tubing with the valves and F/Bb rotor, then it's really closer to cylindrical, and it can provide a very bright sound. The problem with trombone, trumpet, and horn is that unless you use a lot of them, they are not really made for outdoor use.

G bugles were made for outdoor use. These new Bb bugles are being made for outdoor use. The interesting thing about what this guy is doing is that he is making his bugles so they have conical design, but a unique resistance in the tubing to allow for the brightness of a typical trumpet, except with a bigger sound, largely due to the larger bell, which allows for more projection.

As of now, King and Kanstul do the best job of this with their marching 3 valve Bb/F brass. The sound that Spirit of Atlanta was getting last year was amazing on their new Kanstul horns. And, of course, Kanstul still makes G bugles for the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, the Army Field Band, the Army Herald Trumpets, and many others. King makes the custom Blue Devils design brass, which I also believe produces an amazing sound (so glad Phantom is going back to King). Of course, the Blue Devils could probably play crappy horns made by Bundy and sound like a million bucks. So they are not the best example. I must also give Yamaha props. I don't care for their mellos or trumpets, but their baritones and tubas are excellent for outdoor use.

At any rate, I look forward to hearing any band or corps that begins to use this new Bb Bugle. I also hope, that if successful, that it inspires the activity to realize that conical bugles with the right design are simply better for outdoor use.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5