Is it a mistake?

Judges should judge the corps without concern for how their scoring opinions are going to be received by others outside of the competition field.

That's true of any adjudicator in any activity.

Were they not doing that before?

That's true of any adjudicator in any activity.

Were they not doing that before?

DCI themselves apparently isn't so certain, it would appear. Otherwise, they'd be no need for a change that is intended to thwart the judges access to caption & subcaption scores on the part of their colleague judges. Something they've previously had access to if they wanted since the formation of DCI in 1972. Will the judges access to theses previous shows scores from their colleague judges be thwarted ? Thats for others to decide. But in my opinion ?.... I highly doubt it .

Edited by BRASSO

It's a good move - a necessary move.

Judges should judge the corps without concern for how their scoring opinions are going to be received by others outside of the competition field.

I won't miss the recaps as long as the quality of the scoing improves. The only ones who matter are the kids that bust their tails on the field. DCI owes it to them to provide the best system possible. Obviously the experts think this will work, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Also, think about the post season discussion this will create when the recaps are released. That's good for drum corps. More discussion during a time when the discussion usually dwindles down.

And how will you know?

• Like 2

Judges follow the herd. Oh my, everyone had corps X in top spot but I really didn't see that but was I in the wrong place on the field or I'm I not understanding their concept like apparently everyone else?

Of course this comes into play. It should help with scoring if judges can't see recaps.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but is it a mistake for DCI not to post/release recap or caption numbers? I realize that social media makes for a rough life for judges now-a-days, but there are other ways to fix this.

The panels as I understand it will not be released ahead of time, which I think helps. Ultimately though if the drum corps experience is for the fans and to inspire future membership, is this for the best?

I am just curious- it's going to be hard to imagine in this current technological age that you can't see brass/Colorguard/Percussion scores etc. I'm thinking BK could compete for top 3 in drums, but how will we know. Disappointing and sad that it's come to this. Thoughts?

Wes Perkins

I just have a few questions about this whole recap fiasco...as far as answers...I really don't know at this point...I'd be interesting in hearing what others think as well to my few questions...

Will the recap change promote a more subjective look at each corps by the FANS? If so, is this really healthy and/or necessary for the activity as a whole?

Will this change eliminate an inherent confirmation bias by the judges? That is a judge going into a show listening or looking for a certain GAP based on prior results...rather than trusting their OWN ears/eyes of what they hear or see. If so, did this bias even occur at all before this rule change in the first place?

If you judges don't have the integrity to avoid looking at recaps on their own, what makes you think that shutting down "public" access to the recaps is going make a difference?

I personally think this has nothing at all to do with "integrity of the judging process."

What is it about, then? Go ahead and finish your thought.

As far as whether it will make a difference - like most rules, enforcement is the key. We saw the 1988 "secret semifinals scores" fail because it was no secret. News that Madison won semis was being talked about throughout the audience before finals began.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but is it a mistake for DCI not to post/release recap or caption numbers? I realize that social media makes for a rough life for judges now-a-days, but there are other ways to fix this.

Yes, but the "other ways" are not as easy.

To me, the obvious best fix is simply to stir the judging pot. No surprise that the same judges judging the same corps over and over often yield the same results. Diversity of opinions is needed. But larger panels cost more; training new judges costs more; travel costs more to move more judges all over the country. DCI will not provide full panels at early season shows due to cost, so making any of these other changes faces that same budgetary obstacle.

Where are you "drum corps needs to evolve" people? A little disingenuous to not support this IMO. I think it's a great idea.