Is it a mistake?

They won't release recap numbers this year. It was proposed by and voted on by the member corps this past winter, not a decision by DCI's management team.

wow... I was completely unaware of that one.

Shoot... what will become of the DCP DCI forums? There's nothing much to talk about any more without those figures (i'm being sincere here).

The real evidence that this rule change will make any difference in adjudication is if competing corps are suddenly constantly trading placements... otherwise, there will have been to good reason that I can think of as to why they shouldn't make the caption sheets available.

Is this rule just referring to the sub-caption individual scores of judges?... or will we really not know who scored better in overall GE, Visual etc.?

... Personally, I think this is an effort to put those score collection/tabulation/analysis websites out of business because DCI is losing eyeballs to them...

And I'm not wearing tin foil...

For what it is worth I agree with your assessment. And while you may not be wearing tin foil, I did see ya wearing a yellow radiation suit along with a red flower pot hat and dancing to a Devo cover band. :biggrin:

Shoot... what will become of the DCP DCI forums? There's nothing much to talk about any more without those figures (i'm being sincere here).

The real evidence that this rule change will make any difference in adjudication is if competing corps are suddenly constantly trading placements... otherwise, there will have been to good reason that I can think of as to why they shouldn't make the caption sheets available.

Is this rule just referring to the sub-caption individual scores of judges?... or will we really not know who scored better in overall GE, Visual etc.?

I'm sure we'll still have some on here who figure out the names of the judges, and they'll create their own narrative about the impact on the scores.

If anything, it'll probably generate more discussion.

I'm not defending the decision by DCI. The reasoning they've put out for it is idiotic.

I don't care that much, though. I haven't disagreed with a placement since 1993, and it was only by a tenth. ;) (please don't attack me cadets fans)

Oh come on! Somebody answer my question!: If the point of hiding caption scores is to somehow improve the judging process - in ANY way - how will anyone know that it's been successful or not?

Personally, I think this is an effort to put those score collection/tabulation/analysis websites out of business because DCI is losing eyeballs to them because DCI is too cheap to spend the money to have a decent site for fans. If DCI is the only game in town with score sheets they control the market, period.

The answer, I think, will reveal itself over time, in glacial movements. The answer will emerge from the consensus of instructional staffs emerging from a season's worth of critiques. It will emerge from the competitive rankings at sequential regionals, and from the fluidity, if any, of the rankings from Prelims to Semis to Finals in August. It will emerge from whatever panels and evaluations and conferences the judges themselves participate in. It will emerge from whatever assessment reports are ordered up by the board. And, of course, it will emerge from the feeding frenzy that will attend the release of all the fine-grained numbers after the season.

Personally, I don't buy the website argument. DCI isn't in the online eyeball business, and good thing: It's a lousy business to be in. Even the biggest news websites with the most eyeballs are losing money. There's diminishing returns in trying to sell ads against website traffic. CPMs are low and falling.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Nah, if anything, it will make conspiracy theories a lot more interesting on DCP. Oh, corps X won this competition but lost the other, Y judge must hate them!

, if anything, it will make conspiracy theories a lot more interesting on DCP.

I would tend to think so too. Even away from DCP, it should have the similar effect as well, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I could be wrong. But they have said that they will be publishing recaps. But not detailed recaps.

It's been awhile and I've slept since then. So that could have been some kind of fever dream.

• Like 1

Oh come on! Somebody answer my question!: If the point of hiding caption scores is to somehow improve the judging process - in ANY way - how will anyone know that it's been successful or not?

Personally, I think this is an effort to put those score collection/tabulation/analysis websites out of business because DCI is losing eyeballs to them because DCI is too cheap to spend the money to have a decent site for fans. If DCI is the only game in town with score sheets they control the market, period.

Arguably, if we see different winners every night, then it can be looked at less of the herd mentality amongst the judging community and more independent thinkers. I think the music caption judges tend to be more independent vs the visual and effect judges IMO. Edited by Tobias

a) If the various judges are viewing the same corps day after day, and have caption scores that are relatively close in the same ranking order and raw score, many of the judges are accused of collusion.

b) If the various judges are viewing the same corps day after day, and have caption scores that are varied in rankings and raw score, many of the the judges are deemed incompetent.

c) Judges are human and all adjudicating is merely 'opinion'. But as long as their credentials are solid, that actually diminishes the relevance of both a and b. Therefore, most judges do not care one iota what we think