Intrigue In Indy

You should go back and review the section that you said was dirty. Looked pretty clean to me (IMO) very complex design.

as usual, you missed the point entirely. My comment was not a negative criticism but a description of art, not execution.

Are you being treated professionally for your constant defensiveness?

as usual, you missed the point entirely. My comment was not a negative criticism but a description of art, not execution.

Are you being treated professionally for your constant defensiveness?

he is probably drunk again....lol

Great to see these shows in the theater and hear descriptions from the commentators. Loved the part when Dennis said Blooo won percussion, right after reading on the DCI website that recaps would be kept secret from the public. lol

Right after one of them commented that percussion was a weakness? Yeah, not the best night for the announcers.

I know these guys are legendary in the activity, but at times their commentary and facial expressions felt like satire. At times, my theatre broke out in laughter, and they weren't laughing WITH them. I am their age so I can say this: Can DCI not find commentators somewhere closer to the age group of the corps and directors?

Right after one of them commented that percussion was a weakness? Yeah, not the best night for the announcers.

I know these guys are legendary in the activity, but at times their commentary and facial expressions felt like satire. At times, my theatre broke out in laughter, and they weren't laughing WITH them. I am their age so I can say this: Can DCI not find commentators somewhere closer to the age group of the corps and directors?

Bring back Jessica Allen :)

• Like 1

There was a time when comparing a Corps show to a Band HS show would have been just about the ultimate insult one could make.

Yes, in the days before drum corps vets started teaching bands. That ship sailed 35 years ago.

A few quick thoughts from watching the show at the theater last night:

• Our theater (Patton Creek 15, Birmingham AL) was packed full. And mostly "older" folks, meaning very few college or high school age kids.
  • As others have noted, the sound mix was a bit "off" on Boston's show -- too much electronics and pit amp, not enough acoustic brass and battery.
  • Boston -- Liked the music. The windmills seemed quite obtrusive, however, and muddied a lot of the drill. This is obviously something that can be worked on as the season goes on.
  • Cavies -- Enjoyed the show more than I expected to. Wasn't quite the level of enjoyment as 2 years ago (the vampire show), but exciting to watch and listen to. The insertion of the meow mix song into a predominantly political propaganda show was clever. Need more subtle moments like that, and fewer blatantly political moments.
  • Phantom -- My favorite corps through the years. The only thing I can think of to describe their show this year is -- meh. I sure hope it grows and develops through the season.
  • Cadets -- Loved the first half of the show, second half was less memorable. Made the comment, just before Rondo mentioned the birthday cake prop, that I was wondering who was going to pop out of the cake (like at a bachelor party).
  • Bluecoats -- Loved it! LOVED it!! Music is phenomenal. Glad they backed off on the reliance of electronics. The visual program is exciting, and reaches a nice balance on the "completely cheesy" to "completely artsy-fartsy" spectrum. Really excited to see where they take this thing.
  • Carolina Crown -- I wanted more Ecstasy of Gold and GBU theme. Otherwise, very well done.

Before it's lost to memory:

Saw it at the theater. Small-ish but devoted crowd. Excellent sound/picture. Popcorn was tasty.

Boston -- Dig it. DeLucia grumbled about the windmill props, and I'm not learned enough to know if they were "staged effectively," but they didn't diminish my enjoyment any. The corps looks sharp. And they bring the melody, points for that. I'm not seeing the story in it yet, but it was only a first look. Cool fact that I learned: the perc arranger is a member of one of the Air Force bands. Military music FTW!

Cavaliers -- Somehow I expected a more powerful punch to the hornline. Or maybe the guys just blew so hard that they clipped the theater volume. The movement and forms definitely evoked memories of Cavaliers past, in a good way. The props and text and visual cues are cool and all, but I'm not yet getting how the deeper sociological aspects of propaganda are being conveyed. All I see are a bunch of slogans and people yelling. Sometimes we try to go too deep, and this may be one of those times. My baseline emotional response to bullhorns being pointed my way is not positive. But, looking beyond the thematic stuff, the guys are a blast to watch and listen to.

Phantom -- Man, someone cut this corps a break already. They look and sound great to me. Visual stagnation? If you say so. Looked fine to my $15-a-ticket eyes. Phantom made me smile and nod in approval more than I have in several years with their shows. Guard is compelling. Drums very aggressive. Ballad is a powerhouse. Final set seems primed for the classic Phantom kick-out thingie at the right moment. What's not to like?

Cadets -- The statue-come-to-life idea was effective in the show's first moments, but then they sorta became afterthoughts as the show went on -- or I wasn't paying attention. I wonder if they plan to keep building up statue moments and cues throughout the season. No matter, I'd buy a ticket just to watch that drum line. The horns produced the most overwhelming moments of the night, just huge in some spots. Really enjoyed all the music. Pines was majestic. Some say they're marching is dirty. I say they -- and all the corps, really -- look #### fine for June.

Crown -- As a Troopers homer, I was intrigued and a bit smug to see what Crown would do with some tunes pulled down from the Jim Jones shelf. But just as Troop is making "walking with heroes" its own, Crown is making "the ecstasy of gold" and the whole western thing its own, and bravo. My assessment of the brass isn't of much value, just a low respectful whistle like everyone else. I detected a bit of frustration in the battery trying to get some featured passages together, but that could have just been them being in the vengeful character mode of the show -- eternally grimacing. As with other corps trying to convey Deep Thoughts, the whole "existential human drive for justice and revenge" thing isn't exactly obvious beyond lots of teeth-gnashing among the guard. And with a name like "relentless," I expected the show to just keep building and building in intensity until it finally drove the crowd back into their seats in exhaustion. But that's just me projecting. What we got was something less than relentless in its presentation yet immensely fun to watch and wonder at. the way Medea was threaded throughout the score kept my ears happy. I walked out of the theater thinking all of these corps are so bloody good in June; what will they be like in August?

Bluecoats -- Big "whoa"s and whistles in theater when it became clear that, yes, those are the uniforms, and no, they're not wearing hats of any kind, and yes, this is what they intend to do, for real. I love the groove of the show. I appreciate the way they keep the oddball brass on stages and out of the drill; I guess I'm a dinosaur that way. I can't help but think the guard will be doing bigger and more daring things with those skateboard ramps later in the season. I expect they'll be running all the way up and using the curve of the ramp to launch them into reverse somersaults or something. Just like they did with Tilt a couple years ago -- going airborne on finals night. Gotta say that personally, the costumes make them look a bit small-time. Their former uniforms had an authoritarian look. But as I say, great performance has a way of making any uniform look good, and these kids are performing the heck out of it already.

Was worth the money. Really looking forward to all the other corps.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Boston -- Dig it. DeLucia grumbled about the windmill props, and I'm not learned enough to know if they were "staged effectively," but they didn't diminish my enjoyment any. The corps looks sharp. And they bring the melody, points for that. I'm not seeing the story in it yet, but it was only a first look. Cool fact that I learned: the perc arranger is a member of one of the Air Force bands. Military music FTW!

Indeed. My immediate thought when that fact was mentioned was that a petition was lately brought to our attention on these forums.

Just watched Bluecoats again on periscope

OMFG!!!! Amazing