Stanford Showdown - DCI West

Some groups learn at a faster rate than others do. My guess is that the show is on the field, but maybe not clean enough to present. This group is doing a ton of body work - that adds a significant amount of time to the learning process.

Another point - I'm guessing that a majority of their members are younger and maybe still in high school... and local. Denver area schools don't let out for summer break until the second week of June. If that's the case and they didn't have a full corps on the field until two weeks ago, all of this would make sense.

I'm speculating that there is simply great latitude allowed to start off the season - simple as that. Much like indoor season, they give you a few performances to get used to the routine. However the starts in indoor often are very short shows.

Remember a few years ago the top _ number of corps met in Round Rock to start the season. That was an attempt to get corps to be better prepared. I think those that participate in the Cinema broadcast benefit from the deadline to be ready.

With respect to BK, my only question is: If they took 4 + weeks of spring training to complete this % of show to an acceptable level, how much longer to bring the remainder to that level? And then add changes?

Doesn't seem to me to be in the corps best interest to do it that way. only my opinion.

When I remember, I try to note the size and show length of the corps.

Normally I wouldn't bother this early in the season, since everything changes, but this is what I got from the high camera feed last night, in order of appearance:

Freelancers Alumni

27 members (26 brass, 1 trap set)

Show length: unknown (forgot to check).

Golden Empire

128 members (60 brass, 25 battery [9/5/5/6], 14 pit, 29 guard)

Show length: 6 min. 51 sec.

Vanguard Cadets

138 members (70 brass, 20 battery [7/4/5/4], 13 pit, 35 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 38 sec. + 1 min. 6 sec. performed preshow.

Blue Devils B

143 members (72 brass, 23 battery [9/4/5/5/], 14 pit, 34 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 50 sec. + 25 sec. performed preshow.

Blue Devils C

62 members (18 brass, 22 battery [10/5/5/2], 7 pit, 15 guard)

Battery count includes the two "thieves" who appeared to take up cymbals for the closer.

Show length: 7 min. 25 sec.

Academy

140 members (72 brass, 22 battery [9/4/5/4], 13 pit, 33 guard)

Show length: 11 min. 5 sec.

Pacific Crest

142 members (75 brass, 21 battery [8/4/5/4], 13 pit, 33 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 24 sec.

Mandarins

134 members (66 brass, 22 battery [8/5/5/4], 12 pit, 34 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 40 sec.

Blue Knights

145 members (80 brass, 17 battery [8/4/5/0], 14 pit, 34 guard)

Show length: 7 min. 9 sec.

Madison Scouts

142 members (75 brass, 21 battery [8/4/5/4], 14 pit, 32 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 57 sec. + 37 sec. performed preshow.

Santa Clara Vanguard

148 members (76 brass, 24 battery [10/5/5/4], 13 pit, 35 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 43 sec. + 37 sec. performed preshow.

Blue Devils

145 members (74 brass, 18 battery [9/4/5/0], 13 pit, 40 guard)

Show length: 11 min. 19 sec.

Strictly speaking, the preshow ends when the timing judge waves her hand in a circle. I never saw that happen, so I used the second announcement as my cut-off point for the start of the show proper. For "performed preshow", I didn't count activity consisting only of ordinary field set-up accompanied by mood music from the synthesizer. I never heard a second announcement for Blue Knights (was there one?), so timing there starts when the drum majors started conducting.

If you think my numbers are wrong, please set me straight.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Some groups learn at a faster rate than others do. My guess is that the show is on the field, but maybe not clean enough to present. This group is doing a ton of body work - that adds a significant amount of time to the learning process.

Another point - I'm guessing that a majority of their members are younger and maybe still in high school... and local. Denver area schools don't let out for summer break until the second week of June. If that's the case and they didn't have a full corps on the field until two weeks ago, all of this would make sense.

yet . . . BK move-ins began just after mid-May, around the 17th, give or take. So I don't know if the Colorado HS angle holds up. And my understanding is that almost none of their battery is from Colorado, let alone Denver.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Let me start by saying Phantom Regiment is my favorite corps, and this is the best Phantom show since 2010! Oh wait! What a shame. Go Vanguard! A beautiful and mesmerizing show.

You're not allowing for the fact that BK's show is so much more challenging than those of SCV and BD that no corps could have had it ready for so early in the season. As will doubtless be evident when BK wins it all in August. They'll have the last laugh then, just wait and see.

(Kidding! I really liked BK's show last night. Perhaps my favorite two-thirds of any show I've seen this year.)

you can't change the rules because someone decided to bite off more than they could chew.

Will someone please elaborate on what is so great about SCVs show?

I found last year's show more interesting...

I think this is the best one they have had since this creative team got together. It seems to have better flow, more appealing arrangements and less of the "drumline plus some brass in a supporting role" feel.

The dense drills they perform breathe much better with the white pants. Looks considerably less cluttered than the past few.

The guard is stronger and has some really creative equipment: crooked tree branch poles with autumn leaf silks, lighting bolts instead of rifles for the summer storm, etc. The big tree in the rear corner is a cool focal point and the whole thing comes across as being of one, carefully considered thought. Good and effective color choices (even if I do think the actual guard costumes are bleah).

It just works, is at times exciting and beautiful, has no cheese and is not overdone.

Edited by NakedEye

Sorry Bass Mom, but it sounds like you are new to drum corps. DCI has put emphasis on every corps fielding a complete show right out of the gate because the fan sitting in the stands has paid full price to see a complete show.

I remember the days when corps would start June competitions with 8 minutes shows and instead of wearing full uniforms, they would wear their corps jacket. June competitions were useless to watch with half-done shows and the attendance figures matched that because fans didn't want to pay good money for half a poorly done product.

Now days corps come out with fantastic shows and performances in show one. Sure, the kids are still learning where to go in the drill and which notes to play, and lines aren't straight. But they are now full complete shows.

Shame on any full corps that isn't ready to start the season with a full show for the fans in the seats. There is NO excuse for it.

My kid made drum corps a few years ago. I had never been exposed to it prior to that. So yes, I am relatively new to DCI.

I was told from the beginning not to get onto these forums...guess I should have listened :-)

Right from the beginning I was impressed with the level of talent, athleticism, and dedication that these young adults have to their craft. I was also impressed with their level of professionalism and camaraderie between corps. Like one big family. What I have not been impressed with are the rude comments I see here on these forums and sometimes hear in the stands! You should look around and see who might be sitting around you. I understand personal preferences, likes and dislikes, but keep the rude ones to yourselves - they don't do anyone any good. Each corps bring their own style to the field - some classic and some innovative - but they are all working just as hard as every other corps.

I too get a bit bummed that at the beginning of the season, here on the west coast, we don't get to see the glorious finished product from any of the corps. Each year what turns up in Indy is very different than the shows I saw live on the west coast. But isn't that the case all across the country? Shows are not "complete" yet. They may have music, drill and props on the field, but changes and updates are constantly happening during the season, some small some big.

I just want to say that I am in awe of the talent of the marching members, will continue to go to live shows and soak up every minute of it - whether complete or incomplete.

Bravo to all that performed at Stanford. Thanks for a wonderful night!

• Like 5

You can't change the rules because someone decided to bite off more than they could chew.

I need to not bury my sarcasm so deeply.

(You responded seriously to my post, while someone who's been ardently defending BK "liked" what I wrote. )

I was told from the beginning not to get onto these forums...guess I should have listened :-)

No you shouldn't! For the most part, these forums are excellent, and it's good to have all sorts of different perspectives, yours included, in the mix.