Drenched in DeKalb

Recaps are right above. Bluecoats won drums, Crown second, BD 3rd, Cadets 4th

I'd say that there is a whole lot of drama coming in the final few weeks, because if BD and Cadets are third and fourth in drums and BC was third in GE, you're going to see a back and forth horse race right to the finish line.

I wonder what the judges are saying about not seeing captions. Gotta be brutal.

Edited by MikeRapp

I'd say that there is a whole lot of drama coming in the final few weeks, because if BD and Cadets are third and fourth in drums and BC was third in GE, you're going to see a back and forth horse race right to the finish line.

I wonder what the judges are saying about not seeing captions. Gotta be brutal.

I'll add to that BD winning GE and Coats getting third in GE from one judge.

Makes for great theater because the top three corps all have things on the sheets that kind of make you scratch your head but all three also have reason for optimism going forward.

• Like 1

My take isn't so much at the title contenders but whose not. After the Cadets spent a good portion of last season in the driver seat or close to it, they're threatening to fall to 6th. That's a bit concerning and imo more than the top 3 at the moment.....

As far as I could tell, there were only two Periscopes of the show and neither were anywhere near the 50 yard line. The phasing and in some cases just flat out bad timing issues were likely the result of being way off center with a really poor mic.

I was sitting in between the 50 and 45 yard line on side one. The only phasing issues that were noticeable were in the opener with the small ensembles and the rewind section, which was a bit off timing wise, but other than that I believe they had a good run.

My take isn't so much at the title contenders but whose not. After the Cadets spent a good portion of last season in the driver seat or close to it, they're threatening to fall to 6th. That's a bit concerning and imo more than the top 3 at the moment.....

Unfortunately, Cadets came out of the gate with a questionable show design, and they have been re-actively and furiously been rewriting since. It really put them in a hole.

• Like 1

Odds favor that we have found our top 3. BD, Coats and Crown are 3+ pointing the field at this point, and while it would not be *unprecedented* for someone to close that gap, it is highly unlikely and extremely rare at this point in the season.

Then we've got the fight for 4-6 to stay in the coveted "Top 5" (a more exciting race to me since, as I've mentioned previously, I think BD winning is a foregone conclusion).

7-15 is *fascinating* this year. Possibly the most fun to keep up with that it has been in over a decade. I'm genuinely on pins and needles to see how that shakes out.

I love how we want judges to judge a show by group and not slot and then BD goes on first and wins and people go what the hell. THEY ARE DOING WHAT YOU WANT WHY COMPLAIN??? No matter your opinion on the show BD was the best last night and the judges didn't change numbers. They gave their score to BD and nobody was as good so they won. It's that easy. Seems like people have to ##### about something no matter what happens

It's just difficult for a lot of us, who honestly love BD, and give credit to the performers, cause the talent level is incredible! BUT, the show design doesn't always make audiences jump up and show their love.. I attend shows with a specific group of friends, who all became acquainted with DCI through me, only a few years ago. They, (and many like them, who are relatively new to the activity) have trouble understanding the judging system, and why it doesn't seem to put any weight on whether or not a show is entertaining to the audience. I'm NOT saying BD isn't entertaining.. I'm saying that they don't always have the show package that you leave the stadium humming, but they continue to win. You have to remind yourself, and others, that the judges are doing their jobs right, and BD is being rewarded accordingly, because they have crazy talented kids. There's no way to really evaluate how they make the audience feel. It's easy to go to the "slotting" place with them.

Personally, I love them. As a brass player, their abilities blow me away... but I'm NOT a fan of their show designs.

Edited by mellojay84
  • Like 2

It's just difficult for a lot of us, who honestly love BD, and give credit to the performers, cause the talent level is incredible! BUT, the show design doesn't always make audiences jump up and show their love.. I attend shows with a specific group of friends, who all became acquainted with DCI through me, only a few years ago. They, (and many like them, who are relatively new to the activity) have trouble understanding the judging system, and why it doesn't seem to put any weight on whether or not a show is entertaining to the audience. I'm NOT saying BD isn't entertaining.. I'm saying that they don't always have the show package that you leave the stadium humming, but they continue to win. You have to remind yourself, and others, that the judges are doing their jobs right, and BD is being rewarded accordingly, because they have crazy talented kids. There's no way to really evaluate how they make the audience feel. It's easy to go to the "slotting" place with them.

Personally, I love them. As a brass player, their abilities blow me away... but I'm not a fan of their show designs.

Which is why I have always had respect for BD. They just consistently do things well, no question about it.

• Like 1

I continue to be frustrated with the judging community. Cadets are panned for a show theme that is not conveyed well while the Blue Devils are winning GE with wink and a nod towards the Tempest. BD has the top number in percussion book, which is not even in the top five in difficulty ( I watch a LOT of lot videos :music: ). Bluecoats are dinged for running from set to set for staging, regardless that they are in step, in time, and in form, whilst the Devils do flutter step out of time transitions everywhere.

Don't get me started on the guard.

Whew. I needed that.

/rant

• Like 2