Madison Scouts 2017

11 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Exactly, in many ways I thought the lack of head gear for Coats exposed more cheese and dirt.

I think many fans (and fear many corps too) think the way to move up is to be like Bluecoats were last year, it’s a fatal trap. Bluecoats didn’t have helmets because they didn’t work sliding down the ramps so it worked for their show but to ditch head gear just because, you give up a lot and for what? To copy last years’ winning show, to jump on the bandwagon, to be part of a trend,  do you really think that’s winning design? I think it displays a lack of creativity and perhaps judgement

So what did they give up by not wearing head gear? Or how did it hurt them?

I didn’t say it hurt them.

I did say it exposed more dirt and cheese. Inconsistencies with facial expressions and head positions were enhanced, more points on the axis mattered. They gave up height, continuity in forms dues to non-uniformity of hair so the drill and forms didn’t pop or read as well. They also gave up any effects from plumes of feathers, often used in visuals, think Cadets head tilt

It’s a trade off either way which, is why the decision should be made within the context of the show to enhance that specific design. That was my point. Not everything will work for everyone for every show

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

The thought of Madison Scouts brassline playing Music for Prague has me giddy with excitement.  That could be some absolutely face melting, hair parting, awesome stuff.   

Waiting for Husa like

face-melting-finale.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I did say it exposed more dirt and cheese. Inconsistencies with facial expressions and head positions were enhanced, more points on the axis mattered. They gave up height, continuity in forms dues to non-uniformity of hair so the drill and forms didn’t pop or read as well. They also gave up any effects from plumes of feathers, often used in visuals, think Cadets head tilt

It’s a trade off either way which, is why the decision should be made within the context of the show to enhance that specific design. That was my point. Not everything will work for everyone for every show

it does seem what they gave up there might have been more to gain. Just sayin. Head gear can also hide or show just as much dirt. The tilt you mentioned was a nightmare of cleaning due to the fact if the plumes or heard gear is not exactly worn the same way there's no way to clean. There is a pluss and minus to almost everything.

Now if it is a preference one way or another that's an opinion and valid to the individual. AND YES what works for one doesn't mean it works for all.

Edited by GUARDLING

21 hours ago, cowtown said:

But their great leap backwards as you called 2016 was their attempt at a modern show?

It’s not the what, it’s the how

All this chatter about old music, new music, costumes, uniforms and junk…silly. It’s the context and how they are utilized and preformed

Who's saying their 2016 show was an attempt at a modern show? LOL. Not even close. And you clearly don't understand DCI scoring today - it's as much about the what as the how, LOL.

3 hours ago, cowtown said:

Exactly, in many ways I thought the lack of head gear for Coats exposed more cheese and dirt.

I think many fans (and fear many corps too) think the way to move up is to be like Bluecoats were last year, it’s a fatal trap. Bluecoats didn’t have helmets because they didn’t work sliding down the ramps so it worked for their show but to ditch head gear just because, you give up a lot and for what? To copy last years’ winning show, to jump on the bandwagon, to be part of a trend,  do you really think that’s winning design? I think it displays a lack of creativity and perhaps judgement

Who said anyone had to copy the Bluecoats show from last year? The Bluecoats probably aren't even copying their show from last year. Saying Bluecoats were modern and Madison was stuck in the past, isn't saying Madison has to emulate the Bluecoats, it's saying Madison HAS TO modernize within their own path.

I talked to someone on their staff last year. The reason for the uniform change and the decision to ditch the headgear was not because a few members were sliding down some slides, it was because they thought (and I agree wholeheartedly) that he new uniforms were more appropriate for movement. And, they were right.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

On 5/5/2017 at 9:16 AM, cowtown said:

Inconsistencies with facial expressions and head positions were enhanced? You're scraping the bottom of the barrel to support your argument. I could argue the drill popped more and it was a brilliant move on the part of their design team.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:57 PM, corps8294 said:

Just throw in a rotating company front followed by a loud soprano scream to a mid voice trill, a unison rifle toss, finishing in a fleur-de-lis formation and people will still recognize the corps as the Scouts. *yawn* 

So you're too cool to be impressed by that?  

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3