2017 PREDICTIONS!

How much of the outcomes throughout the summer, especially during Finals week, comes from the very tough to measure things: teamwork, leadership, esprit de corps, motivation, the drive from an emotional commitment (hunger?) to the show and performance, etc.? Among the top corps, there is some (but not perfect) parity in talent, and at least a handful of shows worthy of top finishes.

Show design will win the day IMO...

• Like 1

I would argue that in the final week of the season, when the design is not likely to change much (if at all) the motivation of the performers do in fact, carry the day. As evidence of this, I would offer the 2016 BAC. I remember talking to some friends who attended Allentown with me this year, and saying, "geez, they're 3 placements and about 3+ points away from 12th...."

Now I wasn't at finals, but some DCPers who were there said that Boston was on fire performance wise...and that the members "really wanted it". It would seem more likely to me that their performance propelled them into 12th at the very end. Or, was it the design coming through? Like I said, I wasn't there.

• Like 1

I think there's always one corps that takes a "stumble" every season. Cadets in '16, Cavaliers in '15, Crown in '14, etc. The question every year is just who will take the next hit? I'd argue that SCV is next, but that's just me.

I'd say the Bluecoats are next simply because they have no experience in having to defend a World Championship. Crown had the same issue in 2014, as well as Phantom in 2009 even though that wasn't their first time. Edited by Cadevilina Crown

I would argue that in the final week of the season, when the design is not likely to change much (if at all) the motivation of the performers do in fact, carry the day. As evidence of this, I would offer the 2016 BAC. I remember talking to some friends who attended Allentown with me this year, and saying, "geez, they're 3 placements and about 3+ points away from 12th...."

Now I wasn't at finals, but some DCPers who were there said that Boston was on fire performance wise...and that the members "really wanted it". It would seem more likely to me that their performance propelled them into 12th at the very end. Or, was it the design coming through? Like I said, I wasn't there.

I would also note that I've seen "crowds" WILL certain corps to win...although that does not necessarily work all the time....it can't hurt the corps that is performing on the field either...

I'd say the Bluecoats are next simply because they have no experience in having to defend a World Championship. Crown had the same issue in 2014, as well as Phantom in 2009 even though that wasn't their first time.

Bluecoats have been very consistent the past few years. Only them and BD have nedaled the past 3 years. I would say Crown drops out of top 3 IF someone does.

I'd say the Bluecoats are next simply because they have no experience in having to defend a World Championship. Crown had the same issue in 2014, as well as Phantom in 2009 even though that wasn't their first time.

Good point. I only said SCV because it seems they've been stuck in 4th place for a good few years, so I see them moving this next year, most likely downwards as it's becoming harder and harder to compete with the new 'big 3'.

I heard the same argument about Bluecoats after 2014...and 2015...and now 2016. Except it was medal and not championship. They have a formula, announced staff retention, and no signs at all of anything negative, staff not getting along, financial issues, etc. Like Blue Devils I'm feeling obligated to leave them in the medals until they prove otherwise. There are always misfires with show design and they could definitely stumble but they're 3 for 3 so we shall see.

Honestly though until we see the show in June we won't know. But that doesn't make it any less fun to speculate.

Edited by DrumManTx

I heard the same argument about Bluecoats after 2014...and 2015...and now 2016. Except it was medal and not championship. They have a formula, announced staff retention, and no signs at all of anything negative, staff not getting along, financial issues, etc. Like Blue Devils I'm feeling obligated to leave them in the medals until they prove otherwise. There are always misfires with show design and they could definitely stumble but they're 3 for 3 so we shall see.

Honestly though until we see the show in June we won't know. But that doesn't make it any less fun to speculate.

I agree....but considering that the Bluecoats had GE putting them over the top and working in their favor...I can see them still getting a medal...it may or may not be gold though...I have a feeling the Blue Devils might be opting for first again...Even with staff changes at Crown I still see them in top 3 right now unless they prove otherwise...SCV is wild-card...Cavies are going to be dangerous IMO...

What year haven't they tried this?

exactly...a good sound prediction...lol

Edited by Liahona