2017 PREDICTIONS!

I think there's always one corps that takes a "stumble" every season. Cadets in '16, Cavaliers in '15, Crown in '14, etc. The question every year is just who will take the next hit? I'd argue that SCV is next, but that's just me.

Some might feel the Cavies 3rd to 8th in 2012 was a bigger drop than 6th to 9th in 2015. This past years result is the first strong placement since 2011.

It's not just the placement that is strong, it's the fact that their score was relatively close to the top corps. 2014 was a decent, top 6 placement and a good year, but still 3 points out from 3rd and six points off of 1st. 2016 was quite a bit closer to the top scores. I think they could be back into the elite, but they really need to score above 95-96 to really be considered "elite". They're almost there this year, and I think it's REALLY possible that they'll be there next year.

It would be the perfect year to get back into top 3 long term. Odds are though, that BD's going to win....

It's not just the placement that is strong, it's the fact that their score was relatively close to the top corps. 2014 was a decent, top 6 placement and a good year, but still 3 points out from 3rd and six points off of 1st. 2016 was quite a bit closer to the top scores. I think they could be back into the elite, but they really need to score above 95-96 to really be considered "elite". They're almost there this year, and I think it's REALLY possible that they'll be there next year.

It would be the perfect year to get back into top 3 long term. Odds are though, that BD's going to win....

Some might feel the Cavies 3rd to 8th in 2012 was a bigger drop than 6th to 9th in 2015. This past years result is the first strong placement since 2011.

Both of you are right. Although honestly, I'd rather not see another season of undefeated Blue Devils, I don't know about you guys... It's great that they can pull that off though.

I predict that Boston will be very good. Maybe top 9 good.

I predict Bluecoats will blow our doors off once again with something new, fresh, and really well performed. They will have killer brass and drums and they will be top 3 again. :)

I predict Carolina Crown will again have a killer brass line and music that makes the crowd want more. Their guard will be fine despite staff loss. They will be of top-3 quality.

I predict the Blue Devils will revamp their very successful formula of recent years and try some new staging, visual, and prop ideas. They will continue to bring top-3 quality to the competitive field and should make a run for another title...as they always seem to do.

I predict SCV tops one of last year's top 3 at Finals to take 3rd.

I predict Phantom Regiment will make a jump -> over Cavaliers -> and over Blue Knights. I believe they will bring back that killer brass line and develop a more seamless show that the members can dig into.

I predict Cadets will be very good. Percussion should be fantastic! Guard and Brass will be a wait and see. I predict they will have a fan-friendly show with a classic Cadets look (Maroon & Gold) and a refined visual look that still harkens back to the old days but continues to push them into the world of staging.

I predict that Academy will once again make finals. In many ways this will be the tougher task for them. Can they do it 2 years in a row?

I predict Blue Knights will start the season with a full show :)

and.............................I ALSO PREDICT A REPEAT CHAMPION IN WORLD CLASS :)

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

I predict Bluecoats will blow our doors off once again with something new, fresh, and really well performed. They will have killer brass and drums and they will be top 3 again. :)

I predict Carolina Crown will again have a killer brass line and music that makes the crowd want more. Their guard will be fine despite staff loss. They will be of top-3 quality.

I predict the Blue Devils will revamp their very successful formula of recent years and try some new staging, visual, and prop ideas. They will continue to bring top-3 quality to the competitive field and should make a run for another title...as they always seem to do.

I predict Phantom Regiment will make a jump -> over Cavaliers -> and over Blue Knights. I believe they will bring back that killer brass line and develop a more seamless show that the members can dig into.

I predict Cadets will be very good. Percussion should be fantastic! Guard and Brass will be a wait and see. I predict they will have a fan-friendly show with a classic Cadets look (Maroon & Gold) and a refined visual look that still harkens back to the old days but continues to push them into the world of staging.

I predict that Academy will once again make finals. In many ways this will be the tougher task for them. Can they do it 2 years in a row?

and.............................I ALSO PREDICT A REPEAT CHAMPION IN WORLD CLASS :)

All very possible. And I would totally approve.......no surprise there I bet.

Thanks for the post. All potentially reasonable, and I like the connections to some issues for the corps based on staff changes.

Always much discussion about staff expertise and corps talent relative to the specific skills and potential scores. That's great. But also:

How much of the outcomes throughout the summer, especially during Finals week, comes from the very tough to measure things: teamwork, leadership, esprit de corps, motivation, the drive from an emotional commitment (hunger?) to the show and performance, etc.? Among the top corps, there is some (but not perfect) parity in talent, and at least a handful of shows worthy of top finishes. So how much do these other factors contribute on the margin to Bluecoats > Blue Devils by 0.400? Or Cavies over Cadets?

And then back to the predictions (and assuming those factors above matter at least somewhat): What corps will come into 2017 season or finals likely topping others on teamwork, motivation, hunger?