2017 PREDICTIONS!

Cadets will perform 7.4, a patriotic craptacular. Featuring You're a grand old flag, Yankee Doodle dandy, Stars and Stripes forever, and everyone's favorite, Elk's Parade. The show will include live fireworks, a hot dog eating contest, a 4th of July parade complete with candy throwers for the kids, squirt guns, and a softball game,

And they won't need to play a note. The entire show will consist of some guy narrating awkwardly and recordings of JFK.

• Like 2

Topping 2017 results will be:

1. Corps with soloist with best combined wink, smirk and nod to the camera.
2. Corps with second best...

3. Corps with soloist that fist bumps the first row fans in LOS.

Why wouldn't Bluecoats win again? Nobody is doing what they're doing. They, alone, have mastered integration of synthesized sound. Listen to their 2015 and 2016 shows, nobody is doing that. All other corps using synths are using them for stand-alone "cool" effects, or, to layer that goo under the bottom, or they are over amplified and the balance is way wrong Only Bluecoats have truly mastered the use of the synths.....for better or worse....

Additionally, they showed how soloists can be placed anywhere on the field. And, their visual explored the "Z" axis with the use of ramps. Where the other corps were living in the X and Y axes, Bluecoats used X, Y AND Z.

So, since that was rewarded in 2016.....why would anything change in 2017....UNLESS....Blue Devils adjust to this, as they have done so many times before.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

Got notice today that my 2017 Championship tickets have been processed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Why wouldn't Bluecoats win again? Nobody is doing what they're doing. They, alone, have mastered integration of synthesized sound. Listen to their 2015 and 2016 shows, nobody is doing that. All other corps using synths are using them for stand-alone "cool" effects, or, to layer that goo under the bottom, or they are over amplified and the balance is way wrong Only Bluecoats have truly mastered the use of the synths.....for better or worse....

Additionally, they showed how soloists can be placed anywhere on the field. And, their visual explored the "Z" axis with the use of ramps. Where the other corps were living in the X and Y axes, Bluecoats used X, Y AND Z.

So, since that was rewarded in 2016.....why would anything change in 2017....UNLESS....Blue Devils adjust to this, as they have done so many times before.

I actually think Bluecoats might come out with a moderate dud next season because they'll somehow miss the point. Look at Tilt. Excellent show overall, and one of the key takeaways is that pitch bend thing they do in the last minute before the final hit. Somehow, I imagine the corps' design team looking at that fan reaction and their 2nd place finish and think "you liked the last minute huh? Well, watch us build a whole show around that!" And boom, you have Kinetic Noise. But that final minute on its own doesn't have the meat to sustain a whole show, and personally that's why I consider Tilt to be such a huge step above its successor.

So, same thing for next year. There's a fine-line chance that Coats' design team picks one or two obscure pieces of '16 to build on, rather than just taking the spirit to the next year's design. It probably won't happen, but it could.

Look at Crown in '09 and '10. Same story, though it took Crown a few more years on top of that to pick up the gold.

I actually think Bluecoats might come out with a moderate dud next season because they'll somehow miss the point. Look at Tilt. Excellent show overall, and one of the key takeaways is that pitch bend thing they do in the last minute before the final hit. Somehow, I imagine the corps' design team looking at that fan reaction and their 2nd place finish and think "you liked the last minute huh? Well, watch us build a whole show around that!" And boom, you have Kinetic Noise. But that final minute on its own doesn't have the meat to sustain a whole show, and personally that's why I consider Tilt to be such a huge step above its successor.

So, same thing for next year. There's a fine-line chance that Coats' design team picks one or two obscure pieces of '16 to build on, rather than just taking the spirit to the next year's design. It probably won't happen, but it could.

Look at Crown in '09 and '10. Same story, though it took Crown a few more years on top of that to pick up the gold.

People have been saying they'll flop every year since 2014 and come out with a dud the next year. Not saying it won't happen, but it's the same prediction every year.

I'd hardly put 2015 in the same vein as Carolina Crown in 2010, I think you could make an argument for 2015 definitely being a championship caliber show.

(Bias alert 2015 is actually my favorite Bluecoats show above 2016).

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Maybe they'll bring back the costumes.

• Like 1

Yes, it was the year Adolph DeGrauwe stepped down as corps director and I'm pretty sure their drill desigmer stepped down as well. Not sure about the drill designer though.

Adolph resigned after 2014.

https://cavaliers.org/news/cavaliers-announce-ackerson-lugo-new-leadership-team

Michael Gaines resigned as drill writer after 2011.