Staff merri-go-round

OK, I have been pretty much silent since mid season giving the Cadets staff the benefit of the doubt to salvage their season. With that over I must say I am very close to done with George Hopkins. I posted on his facebook today requesting the truth about staff defections and he deleted it. That says it all to me. If you cannot be open and honest with alumni and supporters. Then good luck. It pains me to say that I will be very heavy heartedly letting go of my support for the Cadets. If someone wants to hire their girlfriend and daughter to try and bring Cadets colorguard back to what is was in the 90s, then that is a sad commentary. I guess I will move on to supporting Crown, the corps that most reminds me of Cadets from my time....sorry George, you have lost my financial support.

i'll say this in George's defense, which is, well as rare from me as you can get:

if the rumors are all true (biting my tongue) it had to hit the guy like a sledgehammer. He probably didn't see it coming, he's coming down off of the emotional high of finals week, and WHAM! right in the hey now so to speak.For once....maybe just maybe, he's choosing to think before he types.

• Like 3

Jeff, that would be surprising for George to edit himself in that manner. More than likely, he's laying low while the storm passes through before he assesses the damage which I fear will be severe.

This is going to sound naive I imagine, but what bothers me about this every year is that the near immediacy of these changes after finals suggests that people had to be thinking about and planning changes well before the season ended, which suggests their full attention was not devoted to serving their corps at a time it seems important to do so.

On a non-Cadets note...any thoughts on whether PR is gonna make changes? I'm nothing but a spectator since the late 90's, but I am a Regiment alum and would love to see them in the hunt once again. The game has changed so much, and I wonder if they're just choosing to stay in the past.

Not a dig, just observations.

This is going to sound naive I imagine, but what bothers me about this every year is that the near immediacy of these changes after finals suggests that people had to be thinking about and planning changes well before the season ended, which suggests their full attention was not devoted to serving their corps at a time it seems important to do so.

I think educators are inherently more professional than that...or at least I'd hope they would be more so...

• Like 1

On a non-Cadets note...any thoughts on whether PR is gonna make changes? I'm nothing but a spectator since the late 90's, but I am a Regiment alum and would love to see them in the hunt once again. The game has changed so much, and I wonder if they're just choosing to stay in the past.

Not a dig, just observations.

I marched in the 90's as well...it is hard to deny that things are so vastly different today...but the same could be said as to which drumcorps era you grew up in...the 70's versus 80's versus 90's and beyond etc etc etc...From a musical perspective I've been recently happy with PR...on the visual side...not so much...but I could say this about a lot of other corps as well...some of the folks that follow WGI/BOA etc. seem to think that much of what is going on today is not all that innovative...to me Bluecoats for example seemed innovative and fresh this season...but I think that is because I don't follow anything from the other circuits...it's all a matter of perspective...SCV did quite well with what could be argued a more 2000ish type show...I think Regiment just needs to find their stride again...What will that take?...It is not for me to speak for the organization...A visual team that is given total autonomy might be a good start? Does this already happen now?

• Like 1

I think the obvious question is - how much did losing JD and Paul hurt them? IMO, quite a bit. I feel for Will, those are some mighty big shoes to fill, but I don't feel that Regiment has the same quality of shows it did since JD and Paul went west. They need something, I just don't know what that something is, and it's clear they don't know either.

I marched in the 90's as well...it is hard to deny that things are so vastly different today...but the same could be said as to which drumcorps era you grew up in...the 70's versus 80's versus 90's and beyond etc etc etc...From a musical perspective I've been recently happy with PR...on the visual side...not so much...but I could say this about a lot of other corps as well...some of the folks that follow WGI/BOA etc. seem to think that much of what is going on today is not all that innovative...to me Bluecoats for example seemed innovative and fresh this season...but I think that is because I don't follow anything from the other circuits...it's all a matter of perspective...SCV did quite well with what could be argued a more 2000ish type show...I think Regiment just needs to find their stride again...What will that take?...It is not for me to speak for the organization...A visual team that is given total autonomy might be a good start? Does this already happen now?

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

OK, I have been pretty much silent since mid season giving the Cadets staff the benefit of the doubt to salvage their season. With that over I must say I am very close to done with George Hopkins. I posted on his facebook today requesting the truth about staff defections and he deleted it. That says it all to me. If you cannot be open and honest with alumni and supporters. Then good luck. It pains me to say that I will be very heavy heartedly letting go of my support for the Cadets. If someone wants to hire their girlfriend and daughter to try and bring Cadets colorguard back to what is was in the 90s, then that is a sad commentary. I guess I will move on to supporting Crown, the corps that most reminds me of Cadets from my time....sorry George, you have lost my financial support.

It's been less than 72 hours since this season ended. Perhaps a bit of patience might be in order?

• Like 2

I only have one response. Obviously, something pretty bad is going on but with the Cadets being the Cadets, they figure it out. This year, the Cadets will be back with a better show and placement.

First year with Will arranging and I think PR is going to be just fine. Show seemed appropriately written for their talent and each section progressed through the summer with no notable weaknesses. Show design itself hints at new directions in the future, I don't see a need for any major changes at this point. Sure feet could have been better but we can say that about every corps these days.
  • Like 2