2017 Boston Crusaders

What all needs to do tonight is go out of their mind for BAC.  No comment on the rest.  BAC from VT to now very special.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

When DCI was first starting, the concept was adopted to move championships to a different city and area of the country (and Canada) every two years. The question then developed how to maintain a building interest in drum corps in the cities which once held the championships which had now moved. Further, how does DCI continue to engage those (usually smaller) corps who did not have the financing to travel coast to coast but could make a regional big show.  Later development of the question was the possibility that regionals might be used as qualifiers for championships if all the corps nationwide and Canada continue to participate in DCI.

Well along came societal change of smaller families, economic changes of more costly drum corps, and competitive changes which enlarged membership. The end result from this and other factors was that there were less drum corps. The DCi ticket sales and audience engagement continued to like the ideas that  different places ( and audiences) would see major competition. Corps wanted to meet their competitors more than just in the final week of the season at championships. Judges wanted opportunities to match and challenge one corps against its peers. So regionals took on a third persona beyond growing the activity and helping to seed for championship performance. And the parents and homers/fans get to see their favorites.

Today I think "regionals" are in transition again. Only SAT this year sees everyone on the field. We probably haven't had that since DCI Midwest at Whitewater. Other shows (DATR, Minnie, and the substitutes for Atlanta) see some but not all corps. In the future Atlanta  is supposed to return, Minnie may get bigger, people like Denver as a championship option for the West, and economics will continue to fluctuate. 

Your question does not as much have one answer but is a good ongoing question that has to be re-evaluated each season.

Resources: First off, get hold from DCI office archives the marketing grand plan proposed and chaired by Don Whitely, DCI's marketing director from it's beginning until 1977/78 when he was let go by the BoD (all finalist corps for the past two seasons then). The other rationales are spelled out in BoD minutes of DCI board over the years, sometimes related to us in the public by Michael Boo and others; there may be some mentions in Don Warren's book about the Cavies and the book Greg Kuzma did about BK. And from other dinos besides me.

Not sure why it double posted and on another page no less.

Edited by xandandl

4 hours ago, SkippyBiff said:

I'm trying to figure out the significance of the concept of 'regionals' and what's at stake for all the corps.  Any resources available to help me understand this system?

TIA!

Go BAC!!

Basically, the " regionals " has significance in that its a large show,lots of Corps going head to head with one another, full panels, and the position draw is primarily based off of earlier scores/ placements ( not a previous season's placements ). But for context, a regionals placement, while important, is not overly significant by the time Championships roll around approx. 3 weeks hence. Corps have been known to win this San Antonio Regionals, and yet fail to medal come Championships. Conversely, Corps have been known to jump a few placements over these Regionals placements come Championships.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 3:42 PM, Liahona said:

We marched together in 1990 :)

Oh yeah?!?! Awesome!

• Like 2

I get a bit emotional whenever I hear this...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 5

Pardon me if this has answered already but I didn't want to scroll through 375 pages to get the answer. Does anyone know if BAC is marching euphs this season or only baris?