2017 Boston Crusaders

I think one big question is will Bluecoats wear the same uniform next year? Bluecoats uniforms of the past would have been rather awkward with this past year's show, so we could see a return to the familiar next year for Bluecoats.

I think talk if a uniform change without knowing a show theme is premature at best. Personally I love BAC's red and black, and hope it does not change, at least as far as color scheme is concerned. If it does, I'll just share some thoughts regarding Crown. If you read most of my posts regarding Crown, you'll know I love their shows but have disliked their uniforms since 2012. Lesson here: when music is exceptional, show design great, and you get captured in the show, whether you like or dislike uniforms is a small matter. So if BAC produces a show I like, which given the fact I have enjoyed just about every show I've seen BAC perform for many years so it's highly likely I will be engaged next year, the uniforms will probably not matter after the initial shock.

I agree with you TK. The color palette looks great on the field. IMO they have done a great job transitioning from old to new. Guard uniforms had a modern look to them as well, looked great. ( BAC guard looked like BK uniforms). Should be interesting to see what the BAC GODS come up with this year. Note: IMO some of the others uniforms colors seem to wash out thing going on in the field. Have a good day.

I would like for Boston's design team, when creating the new guard costume/uni's, to have the guard's aesthetic blend a bit more with the rest of the corps. Or make a modification to the corps look, that ties it a bit more to the guard. IMO the guard costume this year was phenomenal. A real advancement in uni/costume design. However, as much as it was an artistic representation of the program, it felt that it might have been disconnected from the brass/percussion. Or maybe it was the brass/percussion that was disconnected from the guard. Or maybe the drill didn't integrate the guard with the brass/percussion as much as it might need for the program/drill design. I guess that's a staging issue. Hard to put my finger on it and communicate it.

The brass/percussion uniforms IMO had too much white and the elements were disjointed from each other. I agree with other posters here that the white plumes were too tall. Out of scale with the MM's to the point they were distracting. Just my thoughts. Probably off base and I am sure others more attuned to the needs of guards and uni's will be able to describe it better.

I would like for Boston's design team, when creating the new guard costume/uni's, to have the guard's aesthetic blend a bit more with the rest of the corps. Or make a modification to the corps look, that ties it a bit more to the guard. IMO the guard costume this year was phenomenal. A real advancement in uni/costume design. However, as much as it was an artistic representation of the program, it felt that it might have been disconnected from the brass/percussion. Or maybe it was the brass/percussion that was disconnected from the guard. Or maybe the drill didn't integrate the guard with the brass/percussion as much as it might need for the program/drill design. I guess that's a staging issue. Hard to put my finger on it and communicate it.

The brass/percussion uniforms IMO had too much white and the elements were disjointed from each other. I agree with other posters here that the white plumes were too tall. Out of scale with the MM's to the point they were distracting. Just my thoughts. Probably off base and I am sure others more attuned to the needs of guards and uni's will be able to describe it better.

IMO. There was little to much white on the field. The only other color's that seem to be off a little were the flags color's. The red rifles were a nice added. I always like the double flag effect they did severals ago and the revolution flag effect was cool as well. As you know they stored the guard equipment in back of the windmill which i would guess made things changeling in places. Maybe what Don saw (white windmills) in his mind, the rest of us saw as well (They must be giants). Have a good day.

IMO. There was little to much white on the field. The only other color's that seem to be off a little were the flags color's. The red rifles were a nice added. I always like the double flag effect they did severals ago and the revolution flag effect was cool as well. As you know they stored the guard equipment in back of the windmill which i would guess made things changeling in places. Maybe what Don saw (white windmills) in his mind, the rest of us saw as well (They must be giants). Have a good day.

As an aside to emc2... whatever you are doing to improve your typing of your thoughts on here... please continue into the future on here. Today was wonderful, and a breath of fresh air from you. You were far more cogent and understandable with the actual typing of your words today. It makes a big difference for all of us, as we can more fully understand what you are saying. Thank you for that, as you are a good guy, and a terrific BAC alum/ fan/ volunteer, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I have mixed feeling about the uniform...I'm not opposed personally to them thinking outside-the-box either...I'm just not too sure how well a radical uniform change would be received by past alums...

boston-crusaders.jpg

boston-crusaders-2009a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2010a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2011a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2012b.jpg

f04bfdd533c5089a26af35ce08c369df.jpgboston-crusaders-2013b.jpg

boston-crusaders-2014a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2015b.jpg

website-images_4-1024x576.jpg

How about taking the 2016 uniform and:

Modify the jacket by eliminating the Waldo you don't see because of how it is covered up and off to the side

Lower the black fade in the jacket, increasing the red

Remove the white stripes on the gauntlets, keep the gloves and gauntlet

Keep the epaulets and citation cord

Reduce the plume height by 4", making it more scale appropriate and not almost the same height as an MM's torso.

Make the shako vertical all red with a black visor and top. keep the silver Waldo

Keep the white cross strap and buckle.

Keep the black sequins cummerbund and add a drop sash of the same (this might be too much)

Anyone good at photoshopping the 2016 uni to this suggestion?

Edited by LabMaster

Modify the jacket by eliminating the Waldo you don't see because of how it is covered up and off to the side

Reduce the plume height by 4", making it more scale appropriate and not almost the same height as an MM's torso.

Make the shako vertical all red with a black visor and top. keep the silver Waldo

Keep the black sequins cummerbund and add a drop sash of the same (this might be too much)

As an outsider whose comments aren't as impt as members and alums, but may still be valid:

Height of plume should be lowered to fit the size of the ensemble members yes, but more so get rid of these fluffy feather dusters BAC and Cadets amongst others wore this season. These types of plume look sloppy, fatigue easily during the long season, and are wind socks on bad nights. Never saw so many plumes fall to the field as in DCI '16.

I like the stripes on the gloves and gaauntlets.

Poor Waldo (or the red) can't be seen once "horns up" for anything more than a piccolo bugle which was used by Phantom. maybe make Waldo a shoulder patch or some smaller aspect the MMs can see as it is rightly dear to them.

• Like 2

Too much faded black on the front of jacket IMO...corps looks better when facing back-field...that is not an easy fix at all...but they've had these uni's for 3 years now...I agree eliminate waldo on jacket...you got the waldo on the shako...I agree with xandandl to get rid of the puffy plume...shako should be all red as well without fade...and agree to keep white strip...perhaps make it a sequined white stripe???... and buckle and black sequins cummerbund is fine...

• Like 2

When you both say "get rid of the plume", do you mean:

1. traditional shako with alternate plume, such as the old q-tip style?
  2. traditional shako sans plume?
  3. modernized shako-wrap, ala Crown, with a feather (cf. 2015)?
  4. modernized shako-wrap ala Crown, sans plume (cf. 2014, 2016)?
Edited by Eleran

When you both say "get rid of the plume", do you mean:

1. traditional shako with alternate plume, such as the old q-tip style?
  2. traditional shako sans plume?
  3. modernized shako-wrap, ala Crown, with a feather (cf. 2015)?
  4. modernized shako-wrap ala Crown, sans plume (cf. 2014, 2016)?

I can't speak for others...I say get rid of those french upright "puffy" plumes altogether or at the very least shorten them...

• Like 3

I can't speak for others...I say get rid of those french upright "puffy" plumes altogether or at the very least shorten them...

I also think that a 10" fountain ostrich plume might be nice...It looks something like this...

HW801C-2T.jpg?1468827634