2017 Boston Crusaders

With the new team of M, M, & S hired after the 2015 season, I was looking optimistically to this past year. I feel what the mm were given was lacking in the visual teams area of expertise. But, that was last year and with the way the new changes were quickly made, I'm sure we'll see an improved product on the field next year. I'm guessing that a show covering Black Dyke Bands "Immortal" might be revisited.

Has there been any clarity communicated by the organization with regard to specific roles of the new staff and the trio of M, M & S? I've not seen anything but I could have missed it. My sense is there was more concern with this past years music program and design than the visual design, which I do recognize had flaws; but were the bigger issues with brass and percussion design and performance and maximizing the area that today makes the big difference: GE. IMO music is the priority and if the moves made reflect where the priorities were, it looks like they were music.

Has there been any clarity communicated by the organization with regard to specific roles of the new staff and the trio of M, M & S?

Not that I'm aware of. You're right about music issues, but some of those issues could have been as a result of where the mm were positioned while playing. But this issue may have already been buried by most. It's more interesting about what's taking place currently.

Edited by Ghost

Has there been any clarity communicated by the organization with regard to specific roles of the new staff and the trio of M, M & S? I've not seen anything but I could have missed it. My sense is there was more concern with this past years music program and design than the visual design, which I do recognize had flaws; but were the bigger issues with brass and percussion design and performance and maximizing the area that today makes the big difference: GE. IMO music is the priority and if the moves made reflect where the priorities were, it looks like they were music.

I don't believe Music to the Mgt was quite as critical to shoring up as was the Visual, Guard/ Show Design.. but who knows. Ryan George ( Boston's brass arranger) is returning for 2017.

Edited by BRASSO

What are the chances we see a major uniform change this year to go along with the new leaf they're turning

• Like 1

What are the chances we see a major uniform change this year to go along with the new leaf they're turning

As others know from another thread, I am not a big fan of uniform changes nor do I particularly like Black uniforms with the exception of this year's Academy whose uniform (a style from the past few years actually look like formal morning coats for a wedding and mourning coats for a funeral.

On the other hand, Santa Clara's "new" uniform was actually a throwback and did their show quite proud.

BAC's uniform had that opportunity but was too, too dark

(I watched Indy from just above the judges at the 50 and did not seem crisp against the huge black sound curtains hung around the field and with the black sound speakers the corps uses in front ensemble.) I realize the 2016 version had some members-only aspects (such as Waldo) but truthfully these aspects can't be seen in much of the stands, particularly the box. If Boston is to change again, I would hope they would pick a brighter red than what was worn in 2016. It need not be the orange-red of the uniforms sold to and now worn by Battalion but that would be the right direction. The contrast with the black pants and the white cummerbunds/plumes, etc. certainly looks crisp.

Hopefully, we will not see a set of red pjs ala Bluecoats guard or we will all be thinking of firemen donning their firecoats and sliding down the pole to the trucks at night.

I'm pretty confident that if.... if.... Boston decides to go with another uniform for 2017, its colors chosen will not be all black ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

As others know from another thread, I am not a big fan of uniform changes nor do I particularly like Black uniforms with the exception of this year's Academy whose uniform (a style from the past few years actually look like formal morning coats for a wedding and mourning coats for a funeral.

On the other hand, Santa Clara's "new" uniform was actually a throwback and did their show quite proud.

BAC's uniform had that opportunity but was too, too dark

(I watched Indy from just above the judges at the 50 and did not seem crisp against the huge black sound curtains hung around the field and with the black sound speakers the corps uses in front ensemble.) I realize the 2016 version had some members-only aspects (such as Waldo) but truthfully these aspects can't be seen in much of the stands, particularly the box. If Boston is to change again, I would hope they would pick a brighter red than what was worn in 2016. It need not be the orange-red of the uniforms sold to and now worn by Battalion but that would be the right direction. The contrast with the black pants and the white cummerbunds/plumes, etc. certainly looks crisp.

Hopefully, we will not see a set of red pjs ala Bluecoats guard or we will all be thinking of firemen donning their firecoats and sliding down the pole to the trucks at night.

I am not a fan of all black uni's but in some cases it can work, Academy being the example. It was appropriate. For Boston, I'd like to see a bit of a reduction in the amount of white and better connection of what white remains. Yeah, it is a bit generalized, but mostly cut back on the amount of white. I agree that they did not read as crisp in Indy. Maybe because of the amount of white and the way the white read.

I think however you hit on something, and I don't know if this IS how it is done, but when designing uniforms or costumes, as is the case for Bluecoats, that somehow looking at this from the vantage point you described in your seating in Indy. What detailing in a uniform or costume can be read from that vantage point, that will make an impact in the show's design. If anything, Bluecoats costumes were simple. About as simple as could be considering they won. So maybe simple is it when corps look at what they'll go with next year. Don't go with the unitard look specifically, but go with simple. Maybe Boston changes the top to only all red, no printed Waldo. They look very cool up close. My favorite for sure. But form the judges box, what does that much detail earn?

I rather liked the white accents - gave a nice pop. Although fades are in, I'd like more red on the jacket.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of all black uni's but in some cases it can work, Academy being the example. It was appropriate. For Boston, I'd like to see a bit of a reduction in the amount of white and better connection of what white remains. Yeah, it is a bit generalized, but mostly cut back on the amount of white. I agree that they did not read as crisp in Indy. Maybe because of the amount of white and the way the white read.

I think however you hit on something, and I don't know if this IS how it is done, but when designing uniforms or costumes, as is the case for Bluecoats, that somehow looking at this from the vantage point you described in your seating in Indy. What detailing in a uniform or costume can be read from that vantage point, that will make an impact in the show's design. If anything, Bluecoats costumes were simple. About as simple as could be considering they won. So maybe simple is it when corps look at what they'll go with next year. Don't go with the unitard look specifically, but go with simple. Maybe Boston changes the top to only all red, no printed Waldo. They look very cool up close. My favorite for sure. But form the judges box, what does that much detail earn?

I would be ok if Boston nixes the tall plumes. I'm not a fan of them. They're seen falling off marchers every season.. often in big shows...'prefer the shorter ones. I predicted in preseason, that Boston would have a marcher lose their tall plume at Champonships once again, and sure enough it happened again. Its a small thing,.. small thing.. I know, but with the increased body moves of the head Corps do in shows these days now, these types of plume losses of these unusually tall plumes in shows seems inevitable to me now. Oh well.

Edited by BRASSO

Serious, not trolly question:

How many BAC fans would complain/rebel if Boston went the Bluecoats/Crown uniform route? Brasso calls out the problem with "traditional" unis, which is with all the body movement, even a well designed jacket and shako become cumbersome.

As one of the three oldest corps and long on tradition (BAC, Cadets, Madison), would you have a major problem if Boston showed up on the field next year in a red and black "indoor" costume? With no shakos?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe something like Cavies did where there's a more traditional uni (or elements) for parade and ceremonial use?

This is a genuine question--not trying to stir the pot.