2017 Boston Crusaders

I still think uniform colors may be the next big design idea. And by colors, I mean multiple colors within the corps. The visual arrangement around colors would be an amazing new axis for a show. You could see a completely random scattering of colors, and in seconds have the colors align together. And then immediately morph into something else.

The guard , instead of dressing totally different from the marchers, could be the same way, and actually align with their color group at times within the show. Yes, it would mean a serious level of planning by the staff, for so many reasons, and not the least of which is how to balance sound quality with color variance.

The best recent example of using more than one mm uniform color is Cadets with Angels and Demons, and they used them not just to identify good and evil, but also as a mix in drill. Took all of their drill design to a whole different level, and may well have been what put them over the top with GE.

I am not a fan of all black uni's but in some cases it can work, Academy being the example. It was appropriate. For Boston, I'd like to see a bit of a reduction in the amount of white and better connection of what white remains. Yeah, it is a bit generalized, but mostly cut back on the amount of white. I agree that they did not read as crisp in Indy. Maybe because of the amount of white and the way the white read.

I think however you hit on something, and I don't know if this IS how it is done, but when designing uniforms or costumes, as is the case for Bluecoats, that somehow looking at this from the vantage point you described in your seating in Indy. What detailing in a uniform or costume can be read from that vantage point, that will make an impact in the show's design. If anything, Bluecoats costumes were simple. About as simple as could be considering they won. So maybe simple is it when corps look at what they'll go with next year. Don't go with the unitard look specifically, but go with simple. Maybe Boston changes the top to only all red, no printed Waldo. They look very cool up close. My favorite for sure. But form the judges box, what does that much detail earn?

I have mixed feeling about the uniform...I'm not opposed personally to them thinking outside-the-box either...I'm just not too sure how well a radical uniform change would be received by past alums...

boston-crusaders.jpg

boston-crusaders-2009a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2010a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2011a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2012b.jpg

f04bfdd533c5089a26af35ce08c369df.jpgboston-crusaders-2013b.jpg

boston-crusaders-2014a.jpg

boston-crusaders-2015b.jpg

website-images_4-1024x576.jpg

Serious, not trolly question:

How many BAC fans would complain/rebel if Boston went the Bluecoats/Crown uniform route? Brasso calls out the problem with "traditional" unis, which is with all the body movement, even a well designed jacket and shako become cumbersome.

As one of the three oldest corps and long on tradition (BAC, Cadets, Madison), would you have a major problem if Boston showed up on the field next year in a red and black "indoor" costume? With no shakos?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe something like Cavies did where there's a more traditional uni (or elements) for parade and ceremonial use?

This is a genuine question--not trying to stir the pot.

My sense, " traditional " Drum Corps fans.. some who are Alums and still write good checks to Corps, have not been to DCI shows in years, and they have left going to shows long, long ago. So with this group, it does not matter what the Corps duds are, frankly. Some of the more die hard alums, fans of BAC will support them... and go to the shows... no matter what they wear as duds, or what the show design is.. good, bad, indifferent. Boston is also not like Madison, Cadets to the extent that these 2 Corps have won DCI Titles, and medaled in other seasons wearing " traditional" duds. So my guess, there might be a sizable consituency base within their alum/fan base that believes the nixing of the traditional duds was part and parcel of their recent placement slides. I don't share that view, but it could be present within their group to a larger degree.... Boston is no different than the Bluecoats regarding duds changing, imo. Are some of the Bluecoats alums from their earlier years ( ie, 70's, 80's ) preferring the 2013-14 uniforms over this 2016 uniform ?... sure,we would all have to think so, it would seem to me. Are most comforted however with this by the rarified air of what was accomplished on the field of competition the last 2 seasons with their former Corps ? I would hope so,.. and I believe so. That all said, lets not all speculate on something, ie Boston Crusaders uniform changes, when there is nothing really to compare and contrast, as there is nothing I have heard mentioned to compare and contrast anything at all in this regard at the moment.

Edited by BRASSO

Serious, not trolly question:

How many BAC fans would complain/rebel if Boston went the Bluecoats/Crown uniform route? Brasso calls out the problem with "traditional" unis, which is with all the body movement, even a well designed jacket and shako become cumbersome.

As one of the three oldest corps and long on tradition (BAC, Cadets, Madison), would you have a major problem if Boston showed up on the field next year in a red and black "indoor" costume? With no shakos?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe something like Cavies did where there's a more traditional uni (or elements) for parade and ceremonial use?

This is a genuine question--not trying to stir the pot.

I can't speak for other alums....BUT I wore the Boston uniform when it looked like this below...Honestly I do NOT have a problem if Boston went to a Bluecoats/Crown type uniform...The Crusader spirit is a condition of the heart...It can be described as tough-mindedness and tireless motivation...A Boston Crusader is someone whose strong character enables them to make sacrifices for the team to achieve their long-term goals...To this end, if a uniform change is deemed necessary for the betterment of the group then I think it should occur IMO...

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 6

I would be ok if Boston nixes the tall plumes. I'm not a fan of them. They're seen falling off marchers every season.. often in big shows...'prefer the shorter ones. I predicted in preseason, that Boston would have a marcher lose their tall plume at Champonships once again, and sure enough it happened again. Its a small thing,.. small thing.. I know, but with the increased body moves of the head Corps do in shows these days now, these types of plume losses of these unusually tall plumes in shows seems inevitable to me now. Oh well.

Whether it was the grey feather dusters the Cadets wore or the plumes the Crusaders wore, you're spot on. Bigger is not always better. The intent was to make the marcher look taller when the corps moved from the 8 inch to the 10 inch now to the foot-long plumes. Then they started getting bushy...and looking sloppy from the grandstands and box. Look at any photo of a file, any corps, even BD. The angle of the plume, having tired over the summer season, is no longer a straight line. And the higher the plume, the greater the deviance. There is an upper maxim for excellence and these hats have gone past it, whether the 3 corps I mentioned, Crown, or the horizontal versions worn by Cavaliers and SCV. I'm sure the price increases per size; again it's just the uniform companies making money at the expense of the corps.

That all being said, going hatless is not the answer.

Unless one is doing as energetic and gymnastic, multi-spacial-dimensional show as did Bluecoats, going hatless detracts from the ensemble look. Heads are shaped differently, hair colors distract, haircuts vary, and marchers lack the dimension of height which the hat and plume adds. Height and unity are benefits when the heads are covered. While everyone is pushing new, modern, and newer, there is a wisdom to be found in why did corps do certain things and maintain these ways. Being closeminded or because it is militaristic are not the only answers.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

I can't speak for other alums....BUT I wore the Boston uniform when it looked like this below...Honestly I do NOT have a problem if Boston went to a Bluecoats/Crown type uniform...The Crusader spirit is a condition of the heart...It can be described as tough-mindedness and tireless motivation...A Boston Crusader is someone whose strong character enables them to make sacrifices for the team to achieve their long-term goals...To this end, if a uniform change is deemed necessary for the betterment of the group then I think it should occur IMO...

hqdefault.jpg

Post of the thread.

• Like 1

I still think uniform colors may be the next big design idea. And by colors, I mean multiple colors within the corps. The visual arrangement around colors would be an amazing new axis for a show. You could see a completely random scattering of colors, and in seconds have the colors align together. And then immediately morph into something else.

The guard , instead of dressing totally different from the marchers, could be the same way, and actually align with their color group at times within the show. Yes, it would mean a serious level of planning by the staff, for so many reasons, and not the least of which is how to balance sound quality with color variance.

The best recent example of using more than one mm uniform color is Cadets with Angels and Demons, and they used them not just to identify good and evil, but also as a mix in drill. Took all of their drill design to a whole different level, and may well have been what put them over the top with GE.

I've seen sections in a group do this during practice...i.e. trumpets one color shirt..mello's another..etc etc etc...It's kinda interesting actually...

hqdefault.jpg

My comments are not based on the integrity or character of a Boston Crusader but rather what is most effective to communicate the excellence of the individual and/or ensemble as viewed by the judges several stories up in the large athletic arena where championships are held.

When Zingali was alive, he would make friends off season with the custodians at the championship and regional contests sites; he learned the angle of the box, the hue of the seating, the color of the backdrop, and the tinge of the turf (whether grass or artificial) as they all impacted on the overall effect generated by the drill, the guard contribution, and the appearence and performance of the corps. BD is known to send people off-season to the championship sites to assess the same. What works well against the black and blues of LOS would be far different from what might work against the purple and grey of the new USBanks Stadium in Minneapolis for the Vikings.

What ever. look at what BAC has done over the past several year's. Very interesting. Up scale production. What works for BC today will not work for BC in 2017. Yes I like them this year. Yes it was DCI midwest to win this year. DCI should look at Northeast for further growth

They had my favorite unis when I went to the Annapolis show.

By far the coolest look (and SCV was there too!!) to me and I loved the way the sequins had that subtle sparkle under the stadium lights. If they never changed the uni from what it is now, I'd be very happy

• Like 2