2017 Boston Crusaders

Again... PLEASE stop giving the Troopers design staff ideas :laugh:

Looks more like the Colts or Crossmen...

Waldo from Wikipedia's entry on Boston Crusaders.

The Boston Crusader's symbol is King Richard's split-tailed lion. Affectionately known as "Waldo", the lion can be seen on all of the corps' vehicles, on the corps members' jackets, on corps merchandise, and as tattoos on many members and alumni of the Crusaders.

Richard [http://www.themiddleages.net/people/richard_lionheart.html] is likely to have introduced the heraldic design of what is still the Royal arms of England.%5B125%5D In his earlier Great Seal of 1189, he had used either one or two lions rampants combatants, which arms he may have adopted from his father.%5B126%5D Richard is also credited with having originated the English crest of a lion statant (now statant-guardant).%5B127%5D statant is Latin for standing, guardiant is Latin for 'on the watch."

The search continues why the Lion has the name; I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with Ralph Waldo Emerson who also liked green fields and ponds outside of Boston. Amazon has several kids' books about "Waldo the Lion." Colin can read them to Gino. while Leon (Spanish for Lion) and Herbert act out the story.

• In Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, the player character is a 16th-century descendant of Richard I. The game follows an alternate history timeline in which Richard's execution of the prisoners after the capture of Acre completed a ritual that unleashed magic and demons into the world. (2003)
In heraldry, however, a Waldo is a double-headed eagle (griffin) often portrayed with prey or flowers in its mouth.

Maybe it's similar to the modern Find Waldo craze as in Where in the world are The Boston Crusaders? (+$1 to Carmen Sandiego?)

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Waldo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_(short_story)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator

Funny but the Waldo question was just asked on Boston's FB page. There is a story about it and it is nothing like X has offered. Waldo's original name was Leo. For real. It got changed at one point and allegedly the story is not for general public consumption. The image, told to me personally by a person privy to such information is actually taken from the Lowenbrau lion.

Funny but the Waldo question was just asked on Boston's FB page. There is a story about it and it is nothing like X has offered. Waldo's original name was Leo. For real. It got changed at one point and allegedly the story is not for general public consumption. The image, told to me personally by a person privy to such information is actually taken from the Lowenbrau lion.

If you can't baffle them with brilliance, then dazzle them with so much history that they throw up their hands and walk away.

I figured as much and a Crusader alum I know told me it was a story known only to those who marched BAC.

The lowenbrau link doesn't surprise me at all. This will be a big seller at Cru's souvie tent to sip their champagne.

Since neither Liahona nor I won the bet, I'll see it's donated appropriately but not for those new pajamas Liahona has ripped off Bloo's slip and slide collection..

Edited by xandandl

The Lowenbrau Lion was taken from an image on the wall of the building they made beer in, which was Richard Couer de Lion's split-tail lion.

If you can't baffle them with brilliance, then dazzle them with so much history that they throw up their hands and walk away.

I figured as much and a Crusader alum I know told me it was a story known only to those who marched BAC. The lowenbrau link doesn't surprise me at all.

Since neither Liahona nor I won the bet, I'll see it's donated appropriately.

I guess those in the know about the name is a small group from the late 60's or early 70's. I never knew there was a back story until I was looking at FB last night.

So with Leon, will we see a Waldo instead of a Crown?

:p

That'd actually be pretty intricate...and cool.

Well this one loosely worked for them this year IMO...the other is definitely a bit more intricate though...so why not? :smile:

Donquixote.JPG

hpif58f28rb8nfw6g.jpg

• Like 1