Cadets 2017

I ran the video at 90% speed, and I think I enjoyed that better.

Yay! Spring Training! Ha!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Interesting conversation on speed.  I've been lucky to see part of the show (first 7 minutes) and I don't recall it being a whiplash 90s like drill from Cadets. They may have added some elements and I know the end will be quick, but I don't think this is going to be some 1992, 1993 or 1997 crazy whiplash killer drill.  From what I've seen I believe they can clean this.  The BIG question is can they make it work?  Can they add the right elements, coordinate the effects, and bring across concept and feelings?  Although I do not see them higher than 4th place come Finals (if that), I do think the show works better than past years and the members should have a fun summer.  Placement is a tricky thing. One never knows how the judges might read the show.  If the guard comes across better, if percussion polishes, if the brass comes along, and if the visual ultimately works, then who knows.  But a better show and a fun and challenging summer for the Cadets is a plus. 

Thanks for the feedback!

So weird to think of a Cadets show "that is better than the last few years" having a placement cap of 4th place.

Do you say that because of the talent in the various captions, or mainly the improvement and strengh of other corps?

I guess that is where we find ourselves now.....

Edited by cadet93

11 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Ugggh. I hate coconut. 

I like coconut, but it gives me gas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Thanks for the feedback!

So weird to think of a Cadets show "that is better than the last few years" having a placement cap of 4th place.

Do you say that because of the talent in the various captions, or mainly the improvement and strengh of other corps?

I guess that is where we find ourselves now.....

My eye/ear test tells me they have an inexperienced brass line. Guard is staged better and integrated better, but will they be able to compete with BD, Bloo, SCV, Cavies? Not sure.  At this juncture they will be somewhat behind the leaders in some performance areas.  Percussion sounds fantastic and should be strong.  How will judges deal with visual proficiency with so little of the leg showing? I just think 3 of the 4 performance areas (brass, guard, marching) will be captions that may start slow and hopefully move up for them. From a visual perspective the show feels good to me.  Uses the field well.  Nice staging to this point.  Some good drill, with more to come for sure.  From a general effect standpoint this show should be much improved over 2015 and 2016. 

So in a nutshell the visual design and GE aspects of the show should gel when clean into a fairly strong vehicle for the Cadets. It's always tough to see these things in June because performances are raw and the ideas are in sketch form.  But I am pleased with what I am seeing.  Percussion will be great.  Brass will come around in time, but just how good can they be? Who knows.  It sounds like they have talent.  They just sound very raw right now.  Guard also seems to have major talent, but they are clearly still learning sets and not really performing well at this point. 

If you told me that The Cadets would lose their brass and percussion staff, most of last year's visual staff, and some guard staff, I would tell you that they are in a world of trouble. In watching what I have seen so far of the 2017 corps I must say they are doing plenty fine.  No, this is not a seasoned top 3 Cadets corps that we got so used to seeing in the 80s, 90s, and from 2000 - 2014.  They have taken somewhat of a hit with the change in staff.  How could you not?  And yet, I do think they are going to put out a better, and more logical show this year that has some excellent potential.  With upcoming Bernstein shows and performances with the New York Philharmonic each of the next two summers they may have put themselves back into position to build off this show and really grab some major talent next year. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

Hey - I find myself agreeing with many of the comments (even those from less positive perspectives) regarding the 2017 Cadets. Show IS challenging. Show IS better than last year (even in a rough form). Drill/Staging IS effective. Brass is YOUNGER. A bit of drill SHOULD be cut and turned into staging. And yes - a ton of work to do.

However I wouldnt' underestimate another factor - that famous Cadets work ethic. The members and the staff are all unified and love their show for the summer. It's amazing what  motivated 12-14 hour days can accomplish.

The corps has spent a great deal of time this ST working on basics/visual etc. This work will pay off in the coming days as they start cleaning their 2017 program. 

Give it a month. That's what I say.

The program has huge upside IMO and we'll see where things fall.

I've said consistently that I believe this year's Cadets corps will come out a bit behind where they were in 2011-15 but then will gain steam as the summer progresses. I'm sticking with my original 6th to 4th "prediction" with the corps having a shot at medaling in 3rd. 

If the season ends with the members having a great summer, the corps with a "well recieved" (fans & judges) 2017 program and some "momentum" at the end of the year that will set up an outstanding 2018. I still say "On the Waterfront" for 18. 

Let's do this!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

Jwillis - I have always valued your commentary on here, esp your show reviews in the years before videos were so prevalent.

Great objective, fair comments!  Appreciate it so much.

I've seen this video. The quality is terrible. The compression makes it worse. That said, this is not going to be understood by many who don't take the time to, at a minimum, read through what Mass is actually about. Hop said they were doing different things in regards to drill, and they're going to have to. No way traditional drill can be cleaned if that's what they're wearing, and what they're wearing is more than appropriate for the production. This one will be fun come San Antonio, but it's not going to fit inside a lot of people's "What drum corps is" box. 

27 minutes ago, sacrificialclown said:

No way traditional drill can be cleaned if that's what they're wearing, and what they're wearing is more than appropriate for the production.  

So, they might be dressed in religious type attire which is normally long?