Cadets 2017

This might be the best postseason ever for conspiracy theories.

My concern wouldn't be the fine, per se. It would be the city saying "Ya' know, with all the nightmares that this brings to the city, we just don't need to accept rule violations. You're done. Find someplace else to hold this event. Goodbye."

That's likely not worth it to DCA.

Maybe a better answer is to move the show start time up by 15 minutes?

You're probably right about the risk of hurting relations with the city.

As for starting earlier, I was talking to someone else about that. They pointed out it would mean one fewer corps under the lights. On the other hand, due to a dearth of Class A corps this year, DCA only advanced three rather than four in Finals, so it might have balanced out anyway. On the other, other hand, there is also the question of whether both class champions should get to play an encore. (Yay Cincinnati Tradition!) Because of noise regulations in Annapolis and Rochester, DCA hasn't had a championship encore since 2011, I believe, which was before I started attending their shows, so I don't know if it was regular practice to have both winners perform. But it occurs to me that DCI's Open Class champion doesn't do an encore in Michigan City, either.

It does seem like a silly rule, though, or one that would be worth seeking a dispensation for. It's not like the noise would continue past midnight, and it is the evening before a holiday, after all.

Maybe it's time to start throwing bouquets rather than briars in this thread for Cadets 2017.

My friends at WickedTulips.com up in RI sent me this jpg; most appropriate for the Maroon Platoon it seems.

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/QLjphXOsRlPBqezYs40lPlxvpb_IvJIjPlqygC78nOGHRWwQPkV_4-cyUj9lEiJKvw3IT4B4aRtTvanuor8uM4_FO1zrJxTQQoOvp-mL0KMK1PfNZB3NmGDXgBpjDtHtXH0cIQxelKJ3FSjA4544cZ9hzb0XEcMAAxXu8Q=s0-d-e1-ft#http://staticapp.icpsc.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/877027/957cdeb0655d2e0c60ca96b1351594e2/image/jpeg

Edited by xandandl

Better question . . . does C2 beat BDB in competition?!?

Fun question. It would probably depend on what judging system was used: what elements of the DCI and DCA sheets were combined to form a hybrid that could suffice for groups who work in both systems.

But I say yes.

Of course, a further complication, which has also been noted in the thread about The Company, is time travel. On Aug. 9, BDB would have beaten C2. If BDB were to continue rehearsing until Sep. 4, they'd also beat C2 then. But the BDB of Aug. 9 would lose to the C2 of Sep. 4. (In my opinion, and again depending on exactly how the rules were structured.) I do hope that both groups are mentioned in The Rock's TV show.

(OK, I promise not to digress from Cadets1 in 2017 anymore! For a while, at least.)

You're probably right about the risk of hurting relations with the city.

As for starting earlier, I was talking to someone else about that. They pointed out it would mean one fewer corps under the lights. On the other hand, due to a dearth of Class A corps this year, DCA only advanced three rather than four in Finals, so it might have balanced out anyway. On the other, other hand, there is also the question of whether both class champions should get to play an encore. (Yay Cincinnati Tradition!) Because of noise regulations in Annapolis and Rochester, DCA hasn't had a championship encore since 2011, I believe, which was before I started attending their shows, so I don't know if it was regular practice to have both winners perform. But it occurs to me that DCI's Open Class champion doesn't do an encore in Michigan City, either.

It does seem like a silly rule, though, or one that would be worth seeking a dispensation for. It's not like the noise would continue past midnight, and it is the evening before a holiday, after all.

The alumni spectacular also happens earlier in the day and they need to clear the stadium and do some clean up/set up before finals. You need time for that and just bumping the time up 15 minutes can be stressful

Well, Hoppy's job in his posting is not to satisfy the nit-pickers on DCP who pick apart every word he post, and in this case doesn't post. In a retrospective congratulatory post to the C2 members, why EVER would anyone expect Hoppy to list out every possible item you...or anyone might want him to post. That is just plain Monday-morning quarterbacking, IMO.

It is no secret that judges in drum corps also judge in various band circuits around the country, including USBands. If you don't trust them to remain honest in their evaluations, there is not much I can say to that. You REALLY think those folks are going to be hedging their scores and commentary because of some band assignments? Or that Hoppy is going to blackball judges who he may disagree with regarding evaluations of either of his drum corps?

I don't really this particular post as going against the guidelines, BTW...I just think you are dead wrong in your expectations of Hoppy's posts and your viewpoint on judge integrity.

OK, so you and I disagree on what level of disclosure is appropriate. That's fine and dandy by me!

<snip>

I typed a bunch of stuff about the judges issue but deleted in favor of a better place to post it. I'll leave this thread to anticipate the 2017 Cadets program and other assorted conspiracy theories and such.

:tounge2: