Cadets 2017

It seems as if every word he says or posts is microanalyzed at a ridiculous level. I shudder at being under that kind of scrutiny.

Yet, you don't shudder when you post here.

Yet, the scrutiny doesn't stop him from posting on the even more-public FB.

I believe he thrives on the attention regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

• Like 1

Truth! The trashing of Hopkins has been almost encouraged on this site for a while now.

This is a pretty bold and damning statement that besmirches those who developed and maintain the standards under which we are allowed to participate here. And the qualifier "almost" doesn't dull the accusation. (The irony is thick, is it not?)

I'll challenge you to put up evidence or retract your statement.

• Like 1

And while many are concerned that the scrutiny of Hop's words might throw a wet blanket on the exuberance of C2's win, has anyone besides me reflected on his remarks from the position of standing in his 2016 Cadets kid's shoes?

(Forgive the parsing...)

"These kids love C2 and that love allowed them to take a good show and make it great." I try to imagine that I'm a Cadets member who loved marching the 2016 show as much as the C2 kids loved marching their show. "What happened, then, to MY corps in 2016? I didn't love enough? I worked too hard?"

"...the outcome is not life and death and the rehearsals are a combination of intensity and fun." If I'm standing in a Cadets' shoes, I might be wondering: "...but you told us to forget the scores and placements!", and maybe "How come we didn't get much of that 'fun' that you say you had at C2 and was 'more enjoyable' there?"

It is true that we don't need to hold Hop accountable for his words affecting his corps because, in all likelihood, his carelessness with his words will come back to bite him. Like staff changes, or lower audition numbers, for example. Or his corps no longer being one of "the draw" (remember THOSE words of his?). Or The Document...

Ignoring, or being forced to limit comment, on the man's chosen words is naive, IMO, even as I accept the mods reigning me in if I need it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I just don't want to see anything cast a shadow on Cadets2 accomplishment. My one and only concern.

And, as I care more about Cadets than C2, I don't want anything to cast a shadow on what Cadets accomplished in 2016. Hop's comments were not so sensitive to those Cadets kids, it appears to me.

It's entirely possible that his Cadets kids don't care about his comments on FB, but maybe some of them feel somewhat underappreciated for what they were able to do with their show - a show design, I remind, that was, I'll say, significantly influenced by the man himself.

And, as I care more about Cadets than C2, I don't want anything to cast a shadow on what Cadets accomplished in 2016. Hop's comments were not so sensitive to those Cadets kids, it appears to me.

It's entirely possible that his Cadets kids don't care about his comments on FB, but maybe some of them feel somewhat underappreciated for what they were able to do with their show - a show design, I remind, that was, I'll say, significantly influenced by the man himself.

I'm pretty close to many of the cadets members of 2016. They were talked to as adults, understood the show had design structural issues and all agreed their goal was to fix it as best as possible and then perform a mediocre design extremely well and they did. This goal certainly not the one they started out with last winter but it is what it is. I'm waiting to hear the rest of staff announcements but the kids I speak with are still very pro Cadets. Will some follow Gino and Jarett, yes but I think the majority will return and then we have that magnificent Cadets 2 corps where we'll have very talented, pre-trained members jumping over to Cadets.
  • Like 6

Unrelated, how common is it to have co-creative directors?

Anyone? From my experience outside of DCI, this is extremely rare and almost always fails miserably. But perhaps it is common in DCI and works well.

Anyone? From my experience outside of DCI, this is extremely rare and almost always fails miserably. But perhaps it is common in DCI and works well.

It all depends on the job description and understanding when hired.

I once was hired by a HSMB who had me do the show concept, music editing and visual concepts ten months ahead which plan was later submitted to a local team who adjusted it as the season developed. It worked that time for that season. We even won a Texas BOA regional for our class.

Edited by xandandl

I just want to know why Hopkins was sporting a blue ribbon in his hair at DCA Finals.

I just want to know why Hopkins was sporting a blue ribbon in his hair at DCA Finals.

Blue ribbons were worn in support of the Reading Buccaneers who lost a young tuba player this summer...sometimes some of us seem to forget that drum corps is a close-knit activity and family...GH is no different in that regard and not heartless as some would like to portray him IMO.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

Edited by JohnZ
removed humorous but poorly timed comment