Cadets 2017

Blue ribbons were worn in support of the Reading Buccaneers who lost a young tuba player this summer...sometimes some of us seem to forget that drum corps is a close-knit activity and family...GH is no different in that regard and not heartless as some would like to portray him IMO.

😞 Sorry I didn't know..

Blue ribbons were worn in support of the Reading Buccaneers who lost a young tuba player this summer. Sometimes some of us seem to forget that drum corps is a close-knit activity and family. GH is no different in that regard, and not heartless as some would like to portray him, IMO.

Ah, thanks very much for that explanation. What a decent gesture.

FYI, it's just barely visible in this picture from before the victory run that never was:

Cadets2-Victory-resized_zpsmcd0e4lb.jpg

Edited by N.E. Brigand

why no encore?

it’s was Hopkins fault, right? :silly:

As xandandl rightly notes, it wasn't.

I wonder what would have actually happened if they did the encore anyway. What would the fine be for eleven more minutes of "noise"?

"This week, Director of Recruitment, John Molloy will step down from his involvement with the programs of YEA!, including The Cadets and Cadets2. Molloy served as the Director of Recruitment starting in 2014 and also served as a mellophone tech with Cadets2. Cadets2 just won their first DCA Championship with Molloy also serving as their trumpet soloist. He also marched with The Cadets from 2001-2003. "

I am not trying to stir up the pot here...but something puzzled me about this recent post...I thought Cadets2 didn't have members over age 25 performing in the corps?...JM marched cadets in 2001-2003...guess the rules they set don't matter...although not in any violation of DCA rules by any means...I'm not complaining...I actually encourage it...I just wonder as to why they would institute the rule in the first place...especially since it angered so many in DCA...personally it doesn't matter to me...

"This week, Director of Recruitment, John Molloy will step down from his involvement with the programs of YEA!, including The Cadets and Cadets2. Molloy served as the Director of Recruitment starting in 2014 and also served as a mellophone tech with Cadets2. Cadets2 just won their first DCA Championship with Molloy also serving as their trumpet soloist. He also marched with The Cadets from 2001-2003. "

I am not trying to stir up the pot here...but something puzzled me about this recent post...I thought Cadets2 didn't have members over age 25 performing in the corps?...JM marched cadets in 2001-2003...guess the rules they set don't matter...although not in any violation of DCA rules by any means...I'm not complaining...I actually encourage it...I just wonder as to why they would institute the rule in the first place...especially since it angered so many in DCA...personally it doesn't matter to me...

Cadets 2 relaxed their "hard" member age rule - they had a few members over 25 the past 2 seasons. Since the organization is "Youth Education in the Arts" their intention is to keep the majority of C2 "under 25" but it is no longer a hard and fast rule.

• Like 2

"This week, Director of Recruitment, John Molloy will step down from his involvement with the programs of YEA!, including The Cadets and Cadets2. Molloy served as the Director of Recruitment starting in 2014 and also served as a mellophone tech with Cadets2. Cadets2 just won their first DCA Championship with Molloy also serving as their trumpet soloist. He also marched with The Cadets from 2001-2003."

I thought that soloist looked a bit older than their average! He certainly did quite a nice job.

• Like 1

Cadets 2 relaxed their "hard" member age rule - they had a few members over 25 the past 2 seasons. Since the organization is "Youth Education in the Arts" their intention is to keep the majority of C2 "under 25" but it is no longer a hard and fast rule.

Thanks for the clarification...

That was the first time I ever saw that mentioned here on DCP.

Plus, I was responding to the below statement. IMO the parts in red are veiled digs at C2's accomplishment, and make it look like Hoppy and the judges are hiding something unseemly. Judges judge all over the place, and USBands happens to be a large circuit with a lot of shows. I personally doubt that any judge, let alone 8 of them, are going to throw away their honesty over a couple of band show assignments. As to the part about Hoppy "not disclosing those facts", I doubt it even crossed his mind, while the statement makes it appear as if he made a conscious decision to hide something. IMO it is in poor taste, and not like most of the great posts I have seen from garfield.

"For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?"

he shouldnt have to disclose. i dont know if ti was mentioned on here, i know it was mentioned other places online and apparently a topic in Rachacha.

and regardless, the right corps won