Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, candymancan said:

It moves at the same pace alot.  Sure the brass sounds great, they are great.  But most of their big, loud and hard licks are done standing still.  It looks like a really good BOA show.

Lol wait a minute. NO one can argue that Crown doesn't move and play tough licks so let's just close that door right now. 

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

RG6gyvf.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Priceless. 

• Like 1

I love it!  I know there is more to come, but that ending should be quite cool. I have them starting very slowly (from a competitive standpoint) but I believe this show can do well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I love it!  I know there is more to come, but that ending should be quite cool. I have them starting very slowly (from a competitive standpoint) but I believe this show can do well. 

yeah that's exactly how I see it - starting in 6/7 but moving up as we get close to Indy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, candymancan said:

It moves at the same pace alot.  Sure the brass sounds great, they are great.  But most of their big, loud and hard licks are done standing still.  It looks like a really good BOA show.

it REEKS of BOA. And Texas BOA not even good IN BOA. Especially that ballad. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, candymancan said:

And you are incredibly WRONG!  I very much know how good drum corps shows are designed.  More than you can imagine.  I'm not saying they are bad, I'm saying they are not as good as you say they are.  You have them in contention to win DCI and I do not think that will happen at all.  I have been involved with designing for MANY MANY years on a DCI, WGI and BOA level.  I am more knowledgable than you know..........

This sounds like a 12 year old posted it.

Gonna #### an absolute brick if this stream doesn't work tonight.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

And you do? You've yet to give any explanation for why Cadets design is so terrible (I'm genuinely curious here, as I have no idea whether Cadets design is good or bad, so please ELI5 to me why you have this opinion).

You asked for it. Here you go! Here are some thoughts on why this isn't a good design.

1. The red robes on the horn line are sloppy and make the drill look dirtier than it is. No amount of cleaning is going to change that.

2. There isn't one single compelling drill move in this show, or one single visual moment that makes you think "Wow!" Nor is the drill well integrated with the music, except perhaps in the 2nd movement.

3. An overwhelmingly large part of the drill design is unreadable, with again perhaps the exception of the 2nd movement. I actually like the 2nd movement a lot. I think it is the best part of their show. But, again it looks visually messy because of the robes and there are integration problems here too. And although I like the 2nd movement, it's not up to par with what the top corps are doing. 

4. The guard is not well integrated into the show, although I think the guard work is a big improvement form last year. They are segregated from the hornline the entire time. For a well integrated guard, see Cavies, BAC and Crown. In fact, the three sections aren't integrated at all visually. The guard, horns, and drums are all separate from each other throughout the entire show. It makes them look smaller, the field cluttered, and diminishes the product visually. A good design has three separate units working together as one unit, not three separate units working as three separate units.

5. The biggest misfire is from 7 minutes for the next 2, 2.5 minutes. Musically and visually. It makes absolutely no sense. There's basically no drill for over 2 minutes. It's just non-stop scatter and clutter.

6. They are being so literal with the theme - the crosses in the drill, the robes, the stained glass, the guard mimicking the cross at one point, the words on the guards costumes. If the last few years are any indication they are going to get more and more literal as the season progresses and beat us over the head with their theme.

I will say, I love the white robes on the guard and a large part of the guard work. I also think the choir is quite lovely. But, can any of you honestly watch shows that have won the past several years, medalled, or finished top 5 the last several years and think this show is up to snuff? If so, you're not paying attention to what designs score well. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I really wish Cadets had chosen one of those uniform designs on your avatar. 

Haven't seem or heard anything about  2017 so don't know what the new uniforms are. Been staying away lol.