Cadets 2017

Back to Cadets

...looking at the dci schedule for the first competition of East vs. West.  Tour of Champions - July 18th - is that correct?

Performance order seems like a prime opportunity for Cadets to make a statement. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Usually Mistified said:

I am aware that corps make changes, I've been in and around this activity for 40 years. Most corps change over the season, sometimes those changes are not for the better.  2011 Blue Devils case in point, the changes took the heart out of the show.  Changes are not a panacea which equal a better show. 

Would you say they........

Skipped over it?  :whistle:

Edited by bicsta
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Are you joining me? Finally!

Not quite there yet, but from what I saw recently, I'm halfway to the other side. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZachDrumCorps said:

Can somebody explain to me the significance of the "Chaos" segment at the beginning of the show? I also like the placement of the windows much more now, they seem to serve more as a backdrop.

The following is the synopsis from Wikipedia. This should help.

Synopsis (Bernstein's Mass)

In the beginning all of the performers are in harmony and agreement. During the course of the Mass, however, the street choir begins expressing doubts and suspicions about the necessity of God in their lives and the role of the Mass itself. At the play's emotional climax, the growing cacophony of the chorus' complaining finally interrupts the elevation of the Body and Blood (the consecrated bread and wine). The celebrant, in a furious rage, hurls the sacred bread, housed in an ornate cross-like monstrance, and the chalice of wine, smashing them on the floor. At this sacrilege the other cast members collapse to the ground as if dead while the Celebrant sings a solo. This solo blends the chorus's disbelief with his realization that he feels worn out and wonders where the strength of his original faith has gone. At the end of his song, he too collapses. A bird-like (Holy Spirit) flute solo begins, darting here and there from different speakers in the hall, finally "alighting" in a single clear note. An altar server, who was absent during the conflict, then sings a hymn of praise to God, "Sing God a Secret Song[6]". This restores the faith of the three choirs, who join the altar server, one by one, in his hymn of praise. They tell the Celebrant "Pax tecum" (Peace be with you), and end with a hymn asking for God's blessing. The last words of the piece are: "The Mass is ended; go in peace."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

Can somebody explain to me the significance of the "Chaos" segment at the beginning of the show? I also like the placement of the windows much more now, they seem to serve more as a backdrop.

The progresses in three parts, the faithful, the fallen, the forgiven. Corps transitions in that order. I don't think they'll play with windows. More of a pleasing backdrop and also where corps changes costumes. 

19 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

From a recent performance in Boston earlier this year:  

Mass began in darkness. A pre-recorded cacophony of overlapping voices and percussion sounded over speakers placed in the corners of the house. This sonic confusion was only partially clarified by the emergence of a high soprano voice with a jagged, atonal melody sung to the opening Kyrie eleison (Lord, have mercy up us). The lights went up to reveal Dan Daly’s stylish set, featuring a central staircase and vaguely striped abstract panels right and left.

The Celebrant suddenly appeared in street clothes, singing “A Simple Song” 

The opening 2 minutes of Bernstein's full MASS is simply a chaotic cacophonous introduction - probably representing the chaos happening in the real world outside the walls of the church at the time, from which the church and the Mass are meant to offer a refuge (but which nevertheless intrude from time time).   Cadets' take can be read similarly.

• Like 4