Cadets 2017

Just now, xandandl said:

Amen.

They are actually keeping pace with others but not gaining ground yet. Will they break through? 

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Oh I understand

1. the entire post of his is referring to his frustration with this staff (apparently today) in not instilling the believe in the members ("the kids") that each rep is critical, etc..

2. that said I don't think it is a smart thing to post. What is the purpose? To throw the staff (that you hired!) under the bus? 

As I said - he is a poor communicator

I lead/manage a ton of people at work - I am very cautious and deliberate with what I say and do not say. Everything has a purpose and intent. If I say something it is quite intentional

Hopkins seems to be quite an "emotional" communicator - for lack of a better word. Rather than careful and deliberate/purposeful 

Just some food for thought...not a direct criticism..take this for what it's worth...I'm sure you know this already...

• A CEO must be able to effectively communicate with fellow team members and explore ideas and suggestions put forward by the team.
  • A CEO must be able to maintain control over his or her emotions.
  • A CEO should have an optimistic nature in general, and able to identify opportunities even within difficult situations.
  • A CEO must be able to involve others in the decision-making process and promote a culture in which all the employees work as a team in order to achieve a common goal or objective.
  • A culture of mutual trust must be developed by the CEO whereby the CEO is able to trust fellow colleagues and subordinates.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

Breaking News at 11: Controversial Leader Makes Ill-Advised Social Media Post

If you think Cadets are the only corps whose show design is getting roasted on DCP, check out the Crown thread

Or Madison, or Regiment

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

Just some food for thought...not a direct criticism..take this for what it's worth...I'm sure you know this already...

• A CEO must be able to effectively communicate with fellow team members and explore ideas and suggestions put forward by the team.
  • A CEO must be able to maintain control over his or her emotions.
  • A CEO should have an optimistic nature in general, and able to identify opportunities even within difficult situations.
  • A CEO must be able to involve others in the decision-making process and promote a culture in which all the employees work as a team in order to achieve a common goal or objective.
  • A culture of mutual trust must be developed by the CEO whereby the CEO is able to trust fellow colleagues and subordinates.

George is ###### that the Cadets are not scoring or placing well, but he should never throw his staff under the bus. Maybe the Cadets need a leadership change (flame me all you want)! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Well, where is the BOT then? Does anyone care half as much as you do?

GH is also the BOD President. Kinda hard to make any changes.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

GH is also the BOD President. Kinda hard to make any changes.

It's one thing to have an opinion about show design, management style, etc. But you should not state things as fact that are incorrect  

If you look at the organization's website you will see that there are twelve board members who are not part of management.  There is a chairman and a vice chairman, neither of whom are the CEO. This is no different from a hospital or a university. Also be aware that YEA does much more than The Cadets.  They run two corps (one DCI, one DCA), an enormous program called USBANDS consisting of marching band competitions all over the country, concert band festivals, leadership camps, resources for music educators, plus a company that provides dance instruction and an opportunity to perform for hundreds of underprivileged young people in the Lehigh Valley, and more. The CEO is responsible for the operation of all of this with scarce resources, and the BOD has a fiduciary responsibility to make sure it is run according to proper standards of 501-c-3.  

Going with the university analogy, what you have here is essentially a situation where the college president is also the head football coach, and the alumni/fans who only care about the team use the win/loss record as the sole gauge of performance. For better or worse, that's just not how the organization works. 

Edited by Icer
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Icer said:

It's one thing to have an opinion about show design, management style, etc. But you should not state things as fact that are incorrect  

If you look at the organization's website you will see that there are twelve board members who are not part of management.  There is a chairman and a vice chairman, neither of whom are the CEO. This is no different from a hospital or a university. Also be aware that YEA does much more than The Cadets.  They run two corps (one DCI, one DCA), an enormous program called USBANDS consisting of marching band competitions all over the country, concert band festivals, leadership camps, resources for music educators, plus a company that provides dance instruction and an opportunity to perform for hundreds of underprivileged young people in the Lehigh Valley, and more. The CEO is responsible for the operation of all of this with scarce resources, and the BOD has a fiduciary responsibility to make sure it is run according to proper standards of 501-c-3.  

Going with the university analogy, what you have here is essentially a situation where the college president is also the head football coach, and the alumni/fans who only care about the team use the win/loss record as the sole gauge of performance. For better or worse, that's just not how the organization works. 

My mistake...CEO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

That's him referring to the lesson needing taught BY THE STAFF. You're misreading it. He isn't the best writer, it is poorly written. But he is referring to the staff not guiding/teaching the members.

Ummmmm....okay. I think maybe 90+ people out of 100 would interpret "the kids" as a shot at the marching members but if not (and I remain dubious) it proved my earlier point- old people should not be on Facebook. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

They are actually keeping pace with others but not gaining ground yet. Will they break through? 

They need to breakthrough in SA. An inspired, well performed, emotional demonstration of what they have and can do. If they don't do that, it's over for them. You can only kick the can down the street for so long. To change judges minds, the seed must be planted Saturday, and watered at every single performance after that with no exceptions. (See Crown 2015). 

• Like 1