Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, tommynev said:

BOA has had amped singing since at least 1992 (when Plymouth Educational Park did "Sweeney Todd"). I thought after last year, when none of the top twelve had vocalists that it was a passing fad for DCI but I was obvs very wrong lol.

Speaking of BOA, a few years ago a band showed up at Grand Nationals with a vocal percussionist featured.  They placed fairly well, too (semifinals, I think). Think about the possible implications of THAT! :-)

Sorry if I'm late to the conversation but personally I think Boston has the most cohesive  and well thought out program of any of the corps below the top 4. Easily. 

In terms of difficulty, I can't say positively that they have a more difficult show, but just the overall structure and presentation of the show is currently unmatched in that scoring group. 

• Like 7

On 7/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, xandandl said:

Especially when not taking any of the "blame" himself.

In better schools, if the students aren't getting the material appropriately and not passing standardized tests like the NY State Regents when they have the capacity to do so, then the principal, headmaster, and faculty are replaced.

In business, if the results no longer are coming in, then the golden handshake is given by the BoD and the management is either fired or retired.

Neither is C2 doing well this summer.

I do not think you can make the statement about C2. They are in as good if not better shape than they were at this time last year. Not sure why you felt the need to bring them into the conversation.

7 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

What video?

Look for keatonpickles

7 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

What video?

Look for keatonpickles

• Like 1

Very interesting change to the opening trumpet solo of "Simple Song" - a bit surprising to say the least, but I very much like it

I know they are working on many changes (most won't be in tonight, some will) but this one was unexpected, but I love it. And it's not something I typically love

7 hours ago, TRacer said:

I am not a Cadets supporter but just want to ask Cadet alums at large...given what has taken place, has any thought been given to perhaps circling the wagons, taking a deep breath and a year off from competition to iron out the staff kinks and get the management house in order, but maybe keeping their foot in the door by participating in Soundsport? Yes, it is a radical thought with many risks (could they roar back in 2018? etc.) but then an entire design team leaving en masse is radical too. This assumes a change at the top, as it were.

Stopping is dying in this activity. It would be a miraculousc feat for an organization this large to go inactive for a season and return at anywhere near the same level. Important bonds get broken when a corps' key people (e.g. volunteers, etc) find other things to do for a whole season. 

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Stopping is dying in this activity. It would be a miraculousc feat for an organization this large to go inactive for a season and return at anywhere near the same level. Important bonds get broken when a corps' key people (e.g. volunteers, etc) find other things to do for a whole season. 

Exactly. Going inactive would be the worst thing ever.

• Like 1

So I'm about to go "mom" and you all can drag me over the coals when I am done. You do realize the kids who auditioned KNEW who was in charge? Part of the reason my son wanted to be a Cadet was to experience a summer with George. I've been reading a lot of sentences about "I want" and "I need".  Sorry folks. This summer and next summer and the summer after that are not about you. They are about the kids. You had your summer (s) and you give money (hopefully) so the kids can have this experience.  My MM is passionate about DCI - knows it's history, loves all the corps and was over the moon to make it.  Guess what? He is having the time of his life. I love DCI because my kid does- I'm learning because that's what you do to be supportive.  I'm sad when I read a lot of these posts. I was watching some of the open corps with my son before he had to report and when they were done he was on his feet whooping and hollering for them - he looked at me and said, "Everyone deserves some love."  Someone mentioned bad vibes - perhaps they start here.  When you're at the show, get on your #### feet and start the cheering.  I've been to several shows this summer and I don't notice what the audience around me is doing because I'm too busy clapping and on my feet for the extraordinary effort that our Cadets just put on the field.  I know I'm repeating myself here - this is THEIR season and I'm not buying all the "they deserve better" crap.  They are working hard, learning all kinds of lessons on the road and making friendships that will last a lifetime. Winning is awesome but not always the most important lesson in life. No matter who wins a medal, places 5th or comes in last, WE should be on our feet for every corps.  You'll know who I am the next time we are at a show together because I'll be that obnoxious fan on my feet for EVERY corps but especially loud for our Cadets. 

• Like 5