Cadets 2017

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

YOU GOT IT! 

This house... is clean.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, Icer said:

I think the singing is a concept that is in its infancy. It's going to take a while to figure out the right balance. This past year, South Brunswick High School in NJ took the chorale part of the Bluecoats Tilt, put in two vocalists, and the result was astonishingly beautiful. 

Narration is a different story. I call Cadets 2014 the greatest show no one ever saw. The presence of the narrator on a raised platform in front of the corps placed a barrier between the audience and the music that was both visual and auditory. I think one has to be even more careful with narration than vocals, because at least vocals are music. 

BOA has had amped singing since at least 1992 (when Plymouth Educational Park did "Sweeney Todd"). I thought after last year, when none of the top twelve had vocalists that it was a passing fad for DCI but I was obvs very wrong lol.

21 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I really appreciated that subliminal Garfield "G" in the end of the 2000 show. 

.....sorry, I'm drunk. 

Awesome. Me too 

brothers from another mother 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

.....sorry, I'm drunk. 

Curse you, Angry Orchard!!!

...... curse you.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, xandandl said:

Especially when not taking any of the "blame" himself.

In better schools, if the students aren't getting the material appropriately and not passing standardized tests like the NY State Regents when they have the capacity to do so, then the principal, headmaster, and faculty are replaced.

In business, if the results no longer are coming in, then the golden handshake is given by the BoD and the management is either fired or retired.

Neither is C2 doing well this summer.

the video a member took while Hop was uh talking to the corps and posted on Instagram didnt help

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the video a member took while Hop was uh talking to the corps and posted on Instagram didnt help

What video?

I am not a Cadets supporter but just want to ask Cadet alums at large...given what has taken place, has any thought been given to perhaps circling the wagons, taking a deep breath and a year off from competition to iron out the staff kinks and get the management house in order, but maybe keeping their foot in the door by participating in Soundsport? Yes, it is a radical thought with many risks (could they roar back in 2018? etc.) but then an entire design team leaving en masse is radical too. This assumes a change at the top, as it were.

59 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I am not a Cadets supporter but just want to ask Cadet alums at large...given what has taken place, has any thought been given to perhaps circling the wagons, taking a deep breath and a year off from competition to iron out the staff kinks and get the management house in order, but maybe keeping their foot in the door by participating in Soundsport? Yes, it is a radical thought with many risks (could they roar back in 2018? etc.) but then an entire design team leaving en masse is radical too. This assumes a change at the top, as it were.

I don't see this happening. The Cadets have fielded a corps every year since 1934. Although Racine Scouts are an older corps (1927) they had some years of being inactive. The Cadets are the oldest drum corps in America in continual operation.  I don't think alumni would want to lose that. 

Not being an insider or alumni I can't really speak to most of these issues. From my vantage point I think the product this year is fine. It's a huge step up from last year and there are some things setup for the corps over the next two summers that should lead to further success. As for all the talk about the Cadets' director, I'll leave that to alumni. For those of us on the outside, GH has always been outspoken and desiring the limelight. I'm not shocked by some of the things he says, so the latest stuff doesn't knock me for a loop. I don't know that I believe everything he says, or that he even believes everything he says. I think he says things to get a rise out of certain folks, and in some cases he will test the fortitude and mental toughness of his "troops" (staff, members). I really wouldn't know. Just hoping the corps finishes strong and enjoys their summer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

.....sorry, I'm drunk. 

I just watched your shows, under an influence of a type. It had been a long while since I had seen them. You marched a 6 minute opener in 99. Gosh.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1